John Cleese on soccer vs. american football

Jediphile

I never bought into the correlations of goals scored = excitement.

I've seen my share of low scoring games in games such as hockey that were very exciting to watch.

I've also seen 1-1 ties in soccer that were exciting to watch.

I never bought into the correlations of goals scored = excitement.

I've seen my share of low scoring games in games such as hockey that were very exciting to watch.

I've also seen 1-1 ties in soccer that were exciting to watch.

I watched the Stanley Cup Finals for the first time this year. Hockey is exciting because it's so fast paced, even though it's low scoring...unlike soccer. Like Voly said, snoozefest. That Simpson's clip is spot on.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

"I never bought into the correlations of goals scored = excitement.

I've seen my share of low scoring games in games such as hockey that were very exciting to watch."

Like Arkan mentions, it's not the lack of goals that makes soccer boring (to me); it's just simply a boring game. In fact, I find this year's NHL - while still entertaining - not as exciting as past seasons despite the increase in goals.

Soccer is just plain, old fashion boring. It's ok to play (just like 99% of sports); but really, really boring. Even basketball - which is also pretty boring to watch despite it's 100-90 scores - is more exciting. Not to mention baseball which is defacto 'slow paced' due to the way it's played (no actual time limits) is much more interesting.

Soccer is just plain boring. Europeans just love it because it happens to be 'their' sport. And, I say let them have it!

Then again, they despite their protests, seem to like NFL Football hence the mainstay of NFL Europe. LOLLERS!!!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Meh, I find basketball exciting to watch, probably because I know what's going on in the game and understand the nuances.

I don't really find soccer that boring to watch either personally. I'd much rather watch it than either NFL Football or MLB.

Football is A LOT faster than baseball. I can't stand the pace of the latter. :wub:

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Baseball is going to be boring unless you really know whats going on pitch by pitch. Most of the best baseball games I've seen involved little scoring because both pitcher were really on.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I honestly believe that football is the most tactical sport of them all. Which is why the coaches become more hated or loved than in any other sport I know of. In Sweden it's lovingly referred to as the "chess of the green field" (very roughly translated from "det gr

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Why would games such as hockey and basketball be lacking in the tactical department?

As for pacing, I guess to each his own.  I find the pacing of both football and baseball to be too slow.

Baseball games are only fun if you have lots of food and ten well endowed young ladies to chat with. This is a fact and known to me by experience.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

It certainly adds excitement if you know what good play is and appreciate it when it happens or when it doesn't work out. Therefore I think you're just going to enjoy sports where you've had experience in more than others which you don't.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

So what you're saying is that not one but two people from each team are actually allowed to kick the ball...

i tried to post this yesterday but our network dropped...

anwyay, actually, it is THREE that get to kick: punter, QB, and field goal/kickoff and four if you want to separate the latter (they are different functions).

i can't blame cleese for not knowing this as our version of football is not very popular outside of NA (kanadian football is very similar so i lump it with the US and refer the them in the same context). heck, i couldn't tell you squat about crickett and that's apparently very popular in other places.

btw, basketball, another US invention, was actually invented as a practice for football when the weather was bad.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Am I showing my age if I say I think Giles (from Buffy) summed it up perfectly:

Ms. Calendar: "It's just such a rugged contest."

Giles: "Rugged? American football? Heh heh."

Ms. Calendar: "And that's funny because...?"

Giles: "Well, I think it's rather odd that a nation that prides itself on its virility

should feel compelled to strap on forty pounds of protective gear just in order

to play rugby."

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.