Al-Zarqawi Dead

LoneWolf16

Ok, good example: You **** then murder a three-year-old girl, you get your **** shoved in a pencil sharpener for a few...I dunno...days.  :blink:)

Hopefully you're never wrongfully convicted of that crime!

Well there is that small hole in the plan...ok, maybe a few months/years to prove innocence before the punishment is administered?

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Because trials are infallible no doubt.

The problem there of course, being that prosecutors are rewarded for successfully winning cases. Alan Gell was accused of murdering someone in 1995. Fortunately, NINE years later, it was learned that prosecutors withheld key evidence that they had found, because it weakened their case. He was acquitted in 2004.

In your world though, Gell would have been dead long before this revelation occurred.

EDIT: Link

Turns out in that same article, a 1984 man convicted of rape was released a few weeks before Gell was, as later DNA evidence showed he could not have been the rapist. That one was 20 years after his conviction.

Edited by alanschu

Since I am still allowing the appeal process but limited to 3 tries in a limit of 1 year each (so a total of 3 years to prove one's innocence) I should say there would be plenty of opportunity for an innocent person to find a way to clear his/her name.

Executions should be used for the most heinous of crimes however.

Since I am still allowing the appeal process but limited to 3 tries in a limit of 1 year each (so a total of 3 years to prove one's innocence) I should say there would be plenty of opportunity for an innocent person to find a way to clear his/her name.

Based on what?

Executions should be used for the most heinous of crimes however.

You mentioned 1st and 2nd degree murders, as well as child molesters and rapists?

Is that all inclusive?

Edited by alanschu

Based on what? I don't get the question. The condemned makes an appeal, it goes though the channels, and is either gets approved or not based on the review process. I don't know first hand all that goes into it but it needs to be more streamlined. Theoretically an inmate can appeal his sentence for decades staving off his sentence. That really needs to go.

Also, why wouldn't that be all inclusive.

Based on what? I don't get the question. The condemned makes an appeal, it goes though the channels, and is either gets approved or not based on the review process.

You said 3 years should be enough. Based on what?

I don't know first hand all that goes into it but it needs to be more streamlined. Theoretically an inmate can appeal his sentence for decades staving off his sentence. That really needs to go.

Aren't those decades used more a result of the judicial system? So how would you suggest speeding up the process?

Also, why wouldn't that be all inclusive.

So you're saying that anyone convicted of murder, rape, or child molestation should be executed?

So how much is an acceptable amount of torture (in the case of Lonewolf) or executions to innocent people?

I was specifically trying to avoid that, damn it. :)

*Sigh* Now that it's out there though, the cut and dried thing I wanted isn't going to hold out under even the most meager of scrutiny.

None is acceptable, Alan. How about we change the lawyer system though? And if any evidence or anything is witheld, the perpetrator gets the sentence that was given to the innocent person wrongfully convicted?

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

Don't know. That is for the law makers decide. All I know is that I am sick of seeing a convicted murderer who is sentenced to death get an extra 10 to 20 years while his victim(s) are long dead and buried. There is no justice in that.

As for 1st and 2nd degree murder, all inclusive. There are only 2 instances in which purposely killing another person is warranted: on the battlefield and your target is armed or self defense. Also Serial rapists, meaning a person who has done multiple rapes. Punishment for a single rape should be chemical castration. Also those who seek to purposely molest a child deserves death and no mercy.

How about we change the lawyer system though?

No quibbles against that. Any suggestions?

And if any evidence or anything is witheld, the perpetrator gets the sentence that was given to the innocent person wrongfully convicted?

So you'll be executing people for being dishonest now?

No, for being negligent in their duties.

The purpose of the prosecutor is not to send as many people to jail as possible but to make sure justice is done in a fair and equitable manner. A prosecutor who withholds evidence is being negligent in his or her job and should be removed immediately then have a review on all of his or her cases. In cases which the prosecutor's withheld evidence condemned a man to death and is dead the lawyer him or herself should be charged with 1st degree Manslughter, and if guilty, sentenced to prison.

Don't know.  That is for the law makers decide.  All I know is that I am sick of seeing a convicted murderer who is sentenced to death get an extra 10 to 20 years while his victim(s) are long dead and buried.  There is no justice in that.

Trust me, the victim(s) do not care.

As for 1st and 2nd degree murder, all inclusive.  There are only 2 instances in which purposely killing another person is warranted:  on the battlefield and your target is armed or self defense.  Also Serial rapists, meaning a person who has done multiple rapes.  Punishment for a single rape should be chemical castration.  Also those who seek to purposely molest a child deserves death and no mercy.

So, if a guy kills once in passion, he should be executed?

Isn't this also based on the assumptions that anyone that commits any of these crimes is unchangeable?

Trust me, the victim(s) do not care.

I am sure the victims' families do.

So, if a guy kills once in passion, he should be executed?

Isn't this also based on the assumptions that anyone that commits any of these crimes is unchangeable?

Its irrelevant if they are changable. They commited a crime. They need to be punished for it. Severe crimes need to have severe punishments. I don't particular care if he kills in passion. He killed another human being. He did so with purpose to end another person's life. There is only one punishment for that.

Edited by Judge Hades

And if any evidence or anything is witheld, the perpetrator gets the sentence that was given to the innocent person wrongfully convicted?

So you'll be executing people for being dishonest now?

I was actually just thinking of prison terms, not a death sentence...should have elaborated better, but if the person dies because of that withheld evidence or purposeful negligence on the part of the lawyer, then what do you propose happens to that lawyer?

- Everlast