Atari Pulls Plug On Nwn1?

I really hate Atari, after reading these news (are those businessmen stupid or what? kinda reminds me of the lame choices a certain Mr Caen made for Interplay). I was looking forward to these new modules (especially WW2, and a second PM expansion pack including PotSC and ID), and to the rideable horses hakpack.

Are they not aware that people still keep playing NWN1, and will be still playing it after NWN2 is released? I don't expect to have the possibility to play NWN2 before a period of 2 years (starting from now).

I even entered a persistent world yesterday and had a lot of fun. I was my usual annoying self and people kept dumping me...

Edited by ramza

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I really hate Atari, after reading these news (are those businessmen stupid or what? kinda reminds me of the lame choices a certain Mr Caen made for Interplay). I was looking forward to these new modules (especially WW2, and a second PM expansion pack including PotSC and ID), and to the rideable horses hakpack.

As much as it sucks for owners of NWN (which would be me), I think it's a smart business decision to prevent rideable horses for NWN.

As for Witch's Wake 2, that died a looooooooooooooooooooooong time ago. I know people have been itching for it, but unless you heard anything from Rob Bartel (and only Rob Bartel), it was a pipe dream. Considering he didn't mention it at all when I chatted with him about the original Witch's Wake, he's either an absolute dynamo at keeping a secret, or he wasn't working on it.

And the PM's can be played if you just worked up the nerve to download them. If you don't want to play it because it is not available at all at retail, then I guess you don't want to play it enough. Unless you're stuck on a 56k modem (though my 28.8k connection never stopped me, even from downloading 1GB+ files of stuff I really wanted).

I wonder if I should even pay to get the first PM expansion pack. Atari doesn't deserve my money!

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Happens.

Darwinia...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

If this is true, I don't see how it's a big deal. We've been really lucky that NWN was supported for as many years as it was. Also, the mod community will continue turning out unofficial stuff, so if you want new content, you are still covered.

It makes sense to shift fully to the new product. It's not like it's a MMO where they still get subscription money for NWN 1.

Does anyone know, by any chance, what were the 3 PM modules that were supposed to get released this summer?

The bitterness seems to come more from the fact that DLA isn't getting paid anymore.

You'll all get your horses anyway, just not with a Bioware stamp on it.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

"As for Witch's Wake 2, that died a looooooooooooooooooooooong time ago. I know people have been itching for it, but unless you heard anything from Rob Bartel (and only Rob Bartel), it was a pipe dream. Considering he didn't mention it at all when I chatted with him about the original Witch's Wake, he's either an absolute dynamo at keeping a secret, or he wasn't working on it."

Supposedly, Atari killed that too. After a few Pm, I bleieve Atari proclaim only FR mods were allowed.

"You'll all get your horses anyway, just not with a Bioware stamp on it."

Simply not the same thing.

"If I were Atari I'd probably do the same thing."

Why? You have no faith in NWN2? I have a hard time belieivng that NWN's failure or success relies on the fact that NWN1 would still has support or not.

Afterall, don't other sequels have their original games stoill be playing? Having NWN still being hyped as far as I'm concerned can *onlY* help NWN2.

Why? Simple. Someone - for some odd reason who hasn't played NWN1 yet - picks up NWN up in stores, likes it, hears that NWN2 is being made, and since NWN is still very fresh in his mind, he'll eaisly scoop up the sequel. LOL

Game over.

P.S. I used to defend Atari; but if this is true; not anymore.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Really don't get the fuss. The number of games who had support for so long can be counted on a single hand, and seeing the financial situation of Atari and thus the fact NWN2 has to sell well it seems a pretty logical move... :p

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Reading some of these threads, I don't really have any sympathy for DLA. Seems they're already planning on going the way of microtransactions much like Oblivion is doing with horse armor. Yeah, Atari is the only greedy party here.

Anyhow, seems like we're just getting a one-sided story so far. If horses were the big deal for Atari, why the sudden need to pull the plug on 3 DD mods instead of just removing the horses? Atari might not be the smartest dudes around, but it doesn't click much.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

From the BIO boards:

Accoridng to Eldidrin, the one who worked on ID: "In addition to the 3 PMs for this summer, Bioware had plans for doing PMs for NWN2. One of them a sequel to a well loved PM from NWN1. As of last week those plans were killed to, by Bioware, they no longer have an interest in persueing the legalities. This is probably what disturbs me the most about the entire situation. Bioware got kicked in the teeth hard enough to not want to be involved in NWN2."

Damn it, Atari! :p

It should be noted, btw, that Atari isn't stopping financial support for NWN. They stopped that a llong time ago. They simply stopped BIO from releasing new content (1 more patch though).

That's where the problem is.

It seems Atari is a fraid that NWN2 can't compete with a 4 year old game.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLLLIPOP

Edited by Volourn

persueing the legalities

WTF is that supposed to mean?

And who posted that, it sounds alot now these modders just go on a personal vendetta and just scream murder.

If I was Atari I might try to get some $ out of them with sue-ing :p

EDIT; If that is one of the "official PM modders" they might take some freaking spellinglessons... sjeesh

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

As Magical Volo says, seems like one of the DLA dawgs that worked on the recently released Infinite Dungeons.

Sucks if it's true, though one wonders how many words DLA is really putting on Bio's mouth.

Hadescopy.jpg

Agreed. BIO also clarified in that thread that the 'NWN Live Team' can't be killed exactly; becuas eit hasn't been ana ccurate way tod escribed it for some time. It's actually the 'Bioware Live Team'.

However,t he fact that BIO has avoided addressing the issue and actually moved 9instead of erasing) the thread when it was found on the NWN2 baords gives some credence to the overall story...

*the plot thickens*

THE HEADLINES: 2006 Sequel Fears 2002 Original

LOLOLOLOLOLLIPOP

Silly Atari. :p

Well, *something* happened, but we're getting a one-sided story. DLA got the short end of the deal, so I wouldn't be surprised if the story's twisted to some degree, and mayhaps they're simply giving themselves too much credit. "Our content is so awesome that Obs will die because of us." These guys don't actually sound humble. A lot of this might be knee-jerk reactions. We'll see.

Hadescopy.jpg