2006 FIFA World Cup

Guest The Architect

That was all very clever, and granted it does deserve a more detailed reply, but it's 6AM, so if you truly want one I won't be available for another 18 hours. As it is, I'm still waiting for you to prove that Walcott is the indisputably fastest player around. Can you or can you not do that, Jags?

You see, one always has to corroborate his claims with facts. At least that's how things are in my little part of the world. Burden of proof, Jags.

And yes, of course Brazil is loaded with so much talent, they've got quality and quantity (there not the favourites for no reason) but I don't know, their defence is just not defensive enough and the fact that no South American team has ever won a World Cup in Europe kind of goes against them, I can see some good counter-attacking teams taking advantage of their attacking style of play.

That's not true... Brasil won the 1958 World Cup in Sweden.

i think making a territory-based statistic from over 50 years is really, really stupid... Like saying, I don't know, Holland have always performed well in Germany then you cite 1974 and whenever as an example. While location does matter, it does not matter so much that you can create patterns and trends over a few decades, meaning hundreds of different players and staffs.

Group C looks pretty tough, Netherlands and Argentina are pretty even, Ivory Coast did well in the African Nations Cup and I have no idea about SCG. At least one of Neth and Arg will go through, I'm sure.

Group E will probably see Italy get through, then US and Czechs duke it out. How have the US been since 2002?

Edited by Tigranes

Guest The Architect
That's not true... Brasil won the 1958 World Cup in Sweden.

Oh yeah, your right, I just read in my local newspaper that a South American team has never won a World Cup in Europe and I just assumed whoever the writer was must have been right but your right, Brazil beat Sweden 5-2 in that World Cup Final in 1958, my mistake... :">

God damn it, Jags. I do my best at trolling a perfectly valid thread. I conspicuously fixate my entire argument on a petty adverb. I tenaciously clench to high-school debate terms. I pestiferously condemn compelling arguments. And what do I get for all this magnificent work, for all the hardships I have had to endure? Veiled insults aimed at my English. At my mother****ing English. This is extremely disappointing. I mean you could have at least flamed me a little, showed me you cared, demonstrated a little vociferous spirit.

But no, you had to go all hippy on me. "Oh no, we must all be friends for the world cup is all about goodness and integrity." Bolloks, I say. The world cup is about crushing your rivals. Sportsmanship is a pointless luxury. Damn it. Barton would have made an excellent midfielder!

Do you want me to post my reply now? It's all nice and fluffy.

Italy are going to choke. I can feel it.

And just for the record. My problems with Walcott being picked have to do with his age and the tremendous burden the world cup puts on a young played. A failure there could likely ruin his entire ****ing career. It's not fair. Crouch is the only other 100% striker Erickson has.

Italian squad yayay!

Goalkeepers: Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus), Angelo Peruzzi (Lazio), Marco Amelia (Livorno)

Defenders: Cristian Zaccardo (Palermo), Alessandro Nesta (AC Milan), Fabio Cannavaro (Juventus), Gianluca Zambrotta (Juventus), Marco Materazzi (Inter Milan), Fabio Grosso (Palermo), Massimo Oddo (Lazio), Andrea Barzagli (Palermo).

Midfielders: Andrea Pirlo (AC Milan), Gennaro Gattuso (AC Milan), Daniele De Rossi (AS Roma), Mauro Camoranesi (Juventus), Simone Perrotta (AS Roma), Simone Barone (Palermo).

Forwards: Luca Toni (Fiorentina), Alessandro Del Piero (Juventus), Francesco Totti (AS Roma), Alberto Gilardino (AC Milan), Filippo Inzaghi (AC Milan), Vincenzo Iaquinta (Udinese).

Reserves: Morgan De Sanctis, goalkeeper (Udinese), Daniele Bonera, defender, (Parma), Franco Semioli (Chievo Verona), Marco Marchionni (Parma).

Spreading beauty with my katana.

I'm definitely seeing 4-5-1 for England.

1 Paul Robinson

2 Gary Neville

3 Ashley Cole

4 Steven Gerrard

5 Rio Ferdinand

6 John Terry

7 David Beckham (captain)

8 Frank Lampard

9 Wayne Rooney

10 Michael Owen

11 Joe Cole

12 Sol Campbell

13 David James

14 Wayne Bridge

15 Jamie Carragher

16 Owen Hargreaves

17 Jermaine Jenas

18 Michael Carrick

19 Aaron Lennon

20 Stewart Downing

21 Peter Crouch

22 Robert Green

23 Theo Walcott

Germany:

Goalkeepers: Jens Lehmann (Arsenal), Oliver Kahn (Bayern Munich), Timo Hildebrand (VfB Stuttgart)

Defenders: Arne Friedrich (Hertha Berlin), Robert Huth (Chelsea), Marcell Jansen (Borussia Moenchengladbach), Philipp Lahm (Bayern Munich), Per Mertesacker (Hanover 96), Christoph Metzelder (Borussia Dortmund), Jens Nowotny (Bayer Leverkusen)

Midfielders: Michael Ballack (Bayern Munich), Tim Borowski (Werder Bremen), Torsten Frings (Werder Bremen), Sebastian Kehl (Borussia Dortmund), Bernd Schneider (Bayer Leverkusen), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern Munich), Thomas Hitzlsperger (VfB Stuttgart), David Odonkor (Borussia Dortmund)

Forwards: Gerald Asamoah (Schalke 04), Miroslav Klose (Werder Bremen), Oliver Neuville (Borussia Moenchengladbach), Lukas Podolski (Cologne), Mike Hanke (Werder Bremen).

Togo World Cup squad

BERLIN, May 15 (Reuters) - Togo coach Otto Pfister announced the following 23-man squad for the World Cup in Germany:

Goalkeepers: Kossi Agassa (FC Metz, France), Ouro-Nimini Tchangirou (Djoliba, Mali), Kodjovi Dodji Obilale (Etoile Filante, Togo)

Defenders: Jean Paul Yaovi Abalo (Apoel Nicosia, Cyprus), Eric Akoto (Admira Wacker, Austria), Richmond Forson (Jeanne d'Arc Poire, France), Karim Guede (Hamburg SV II, Germany), Ludovic Assemoassa (Ciudad Murcia, Spain), Toure Assimiou (Bayer Leverkusen, Germany), Dare Nibombe (Mons-Bergen, Belgium), Kuami Agboh (KSK Beveren, Belgium), Affo Cerlmont Erassa (AS Moulins, France)

Midfielders: Cherif Toure Mamam (Metz, France), Alaixys Romao (Louhans-Cuiseaux, France), Thomas Dossevi (Valenciennes, France), Yao Kaka Aziawonou (Young Boys, Suisse), Junior Senaya (YF Juventus, Switzerland), Adekanmi Olufade (Al Sailiya, Qatar)

Forwards: Emmanuel Adebayor (Arsenal, England), Mohamed Kader Coubadja (Guingamp, France), Robert Malm (Brest, France), Massamasso Tchangai (Benevento, Italy), Moustapha Salifou (Stade Brestois, France).

ZOGM Zanetti's not in the Argentinian squad!

Argentina squad for World Cup: Roberto Abbondanzieri (Boca Juniors), Leonardo Franco (Atletico Madrid), Oscar Ustari (Independiente); Fabricio Coloccini (Deportivo La Coruna), Leandro Cufre (Roma), Roberto Ayala (Valencia), Nicolas Burdisso (Internazionale), Gabriel Milito (Real Zaragoza), Gabriel Heinze (Manchester United), Juan Pablo Sorin (Villarreal); Juan Roman Riquelme (Villarreal), Luis Gonzalez (Porto), Javier Mascherano (Corinthians), Esteban Cambiasso (Internazionale), Maximiliano Rodriguez (Atletico Madrid), Pablo Aimar (Valencia), Lionel Scaloni (West Ham United); Hernan Crespo (Chelsea), Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Carlos Tevez (Corinthians), Rodrigo Palacio (Boca Juniors), Javier Saviola (Sevilla), Julio Cruz (Internazionale)

Guest The Architect

I'm not an Arsenal supporter but they were robbed of the Champions League IMO, that final was a load of BS, Lehmann should never have been sent off and Henry is right, those ref's were crap.

Bleurgh. It was painful watching that game. :p

Of course, without Lehmann send off it would have been a Barca goal, and we might not have won anyway: Barca were a quality side and they did play well. What I'm really disappointed about is that up to that point both teams were playing very entertaining, attacking football, after that Barca just kept walking around the field making square passes, while Arsenal sat there and defended. The ref robbed us of a very classic final.

That, and Lehmann and Pires (who had to go off to let the 2nd keeper come on). Lehmann has been a legend for our CL run and Pires has been a dedicated player in what may be his last appearance... it's really a shame they couldn't be allowed to play it out.

How could Lehmann not be sent off? Lehmann made a blatant foul on Eto'o when the guy was through on goal.

Also, Arsenal's goal was from a free kick that should't have happened, so I don't see how they were robbed of the Champions League.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: