BREAKING NEWS: EX-TROIKA CRPG IN MAKING

it has been noted in the past that almost half of the cost incurred by a publisher to gets a game developed and onto shelves is simply the cost of distribution... ship finished product from manufacturing site to retailer wharehouses represents a HUGE expense.

something to consider.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Digital distribution is the way forward.

Think you're right about that, at least for games in non-mainstream genres. Anything that lowers the cost of games for consumers, and puts more money in the pocket of the actual developers is good.

There is nothing wrong with that but when I spend money on something I want something more than just data on my computer.  I want something tangible.

I understand that. Something bugs me about only owning something that's on my fragile little hard drive - not a physical copy. Still, it may be a small sacrifice to make if it helps support developers making the more nichey games I like and enables them to be financially successful with them too.

"Still, it may be a small sacrifice to make if it helps support developers making the more nichey games I like and enables them to be financially successful with them too."

Ahhh.. But, I only buy games I like not to support develoeprs (or publishers). I'm not their keeper; but a customer.

And, with that in mind, a game would ahve to be beyond spectacular for me to buy it on line like that hence why I will past by this, and VD's game depsite is likely greatness, or even BIO's premium modules which i never bought untilt heir In Store Exapnsion came out.

:(

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

There is nothing wrong with that but when I spend money on something I want something more than just data on my computer.  I want something tangible.

With Steam you just can backup your Local Data that already have all applied updates included with one mouse click, and then burn it on a DVD. After a Harddisk format, you just need to install the tiny Steam client and restore the backup. Voila, done. A babywalk.

Steam works like a charm, and I'm happy that more and more devs jump onto that platform, since it's more economical and allows smaller devs to get their games with their own vision out on the market. There's btw always a Retail version as alternative (EA is Valve's distributor for Retail), like Sin Emergence, HL2 Episode 1 and probably many more.

LONG LIVE STEAM & VALVE!!!!

You don't go to the movies or pay for cable?

Anyway, either way, the market will change with or without you in the long run.

I prefer getting a game from the local store than downloading it. I get the CD/s for it and the manuel, which these days is sorely lacking. Whatever happen to good manuels like the ones for Baldur's Gate and Fallout?

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

GTA:SA is a good example of why one should prefer a hard-copy instead of a DL. Same with Oblivion.

Steam works like a charm

*cough*Not*cough*

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Well, if any of you people can figure out a way to distribute properly packaged CD's wordwide, without going through publisher>distributor>retailer and in that process giving up 90% of the profits, then out with it!

Its software, the cheapest and most effective way to get it from A to B is to send it through the net.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

"Still, it may be a small sacrifice to make if it helps support developers making the more nichey games I like and enables them to be financially successful with them too."

Ahhh.. But, I only buy games I like not to support develoeprs (or publishers).  I'm not their keeper; but a customer.

And, with that in mind, a game would ahve to be beyond spectacular for me to buy it on line like that hence why I will past by this, and VD's game depsite is likely greatness, or even BIO's premium modules which i never bought untilt heir In Store Exapnsion came out.

:)

Here's an example where the long term best practice may be (follow me here, Volo) counter-intuitive to the standard buyer-producer contract ... the more successful developers that exist, the more chance that there will be more and better games. (Because it will provide increased competition to produce games, rather than find a good publisher, which is decidedly not part of their core business practice, and shouldn't be).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

My job is not to support companies. My job is to spend money in ways that benefit me.. and buying junk off the internet is not one of those ways. That's why even this 'fanboy' doesn't even buy NWN PM from BIO over the 'net. This isn't gonna change in the foreseeable future.

If a dev company crashes it's simply because they wereb't good enough to succeed (even if I personally liked their games). No mercy.

I don't believe in loyalty when its comes to the exchange of money. You can't buy or sell loyalty. It's impossible.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

My job is not to support companies. My job is to spend money in ways that benefit me.. and buying junk off the internet is not one of those ways. That's why even this 'fanboy' doesn't even buy NWN PM from BIO over the 'net. This isn't gonna change in the foreseeable future.

If a dev company crashes it's simply because they wereb't good enough to succeed (even if I personally liked their games). No mercy.

I don't believe in loyalty when its comes to the exchange of money. You can't buy or sell loyalty. It's impossible.

It's okay, because others can take that expensive step, of purchasing a game that they like from a developer that they respect, over that treacherous 1nt3rntZ ...!

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

@Hades - Still, you do buy things where you pay for the experience rather than anything tangible.

It's your money and your choice. I just don't understand that inconsistency.

Edit: Oops, too slow.

Edited by Dhruin