Will you order a Wii ?

Will you order a Wii ?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Will you order a Wii ?

• 1.Yes
    • 2.No
    • 3.Maybe

I rang in my pre pre-order this morning. But the SOB wouldnt accept it until I actually asked for a Wii (I'm still calling it a revolution). I know the guy, so there was definately a bit of winding up involved.

Quite a few people have been asking for a Wii instore. I expect the joke will get old long before the machine is released.

No, just because of the name...okay and the controller...oh ya and becuase it's not even 1 GHz.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

A remote that has 3d spacial awareness. With an attachment that measures speed.

Add those two things together and it's hard not to smile

First see then believe. If such a thing has some technical issues, slow response speed or if it is too sensitive (one heavy heartbeat and ya miss or jump off a cliff) or not sensitive enough (meaning you have to throw the thing around) it makes it ALOT less confortable to use then a mouse/controller...

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

It has a lot less to do with being a console junkie and more to do with what is possible rather than just the same old stuff people have been doing for years.

Wii is seeing progress toward virtual reality, and I want that.

(^pun intended)

Wii is seeing progress toward virtual reality, and I want that.

(^pun intended)

Yep.

Last time VR was around the graphics were just too horrible VR was still great fun. In a way you had half of a the immersion equation. Graphics on their own can only go so far. A movie is REAL but it's still not totally immersive.

What is more immersive ? Flicking some buttons ? Or actually sticking your controller to a real golf club to play golf ? Not only is it more immersive, but it also teaches you how to play real golf at the same time.

Never know it may even reverse the trend of lazy tossers who only excercise their fingers. :)

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

The question was phrased appropriately enough that I said maybe. I don't think there's anyway in hell I'd buy one from a store, but ordering one could be a possibility if it looks good enough after release.

"Excuse me, I'm trying to get ahold of a Wii."

What is more immersive ? Flicking some buttons ? Or actually sticking your controller to a real golf club to play golf ? Not only is it more immersive, but it also teaches you how to play real golf at the same time.

It could very well fail to live up properly to that capability though. But yeah, it might be pretty cool if it does. Though I think innovation primarily needs to come from actual games - not the hardware, which Nintendo seems to get pretty distracted by.

Announced Software: Trauma Center tentative title

Nintendo Power mentioned that Atlus was creating a Revolution version of its Nintendo DS hit, Trauma Center. IGN recently confirmed the title is in development. Atlus has been in the industry as far back as the original NES. The company has become known for RPGs such as Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, Shin Megami Tensei, and Persona.

There really isnt a grin big enough in the emotes...

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

It could very well fail to live up properly to that capability though.  But yeah, it might be pretty cool if it does.  Though I think innovation primarily needs to come from actual games - not the hardware, which Nintendo seems to get pretty distracted by.

I don't think I can agree with that.

I look at the DS and I see how hardware has prompted innovation. And I look forward to the same thing with Wii (which I still can't get).

Look at Oblivion. It's not fundamentally different from Morrowind. Same controller, same sort of control scheme.

Same with GRAW. Looks pretty but it's not different to Rainbow Six in any sort of meaningful way. Games have stagnated in all but eye candy.

As far as buttons go I think thats it. Back in the stick and one button day anyone could play a game. Thats not true to today. I've seen my parents, who have never expressed any interest in my "hobby" beyond buying what I asked them for play Nintendogs and enjoy it.

So while I don't get Wii (and perhaps never will, it's the Revolution) I do get what Wii is trying to do.

478327[/snapback]

Most people are acting like third graders about the name >_<

It's not like other weird names haven't been used before in all sorts of things, including gaming. I mean, Game Boy? Play Station? N Gage? It's not like Xbox 360 isn't trying to be all revolutionary but it ends up suggesting they've gone and done a 360

I actually giggle like a school girl when someone says/type Wii.

But you could all be overlooking the fact that you may be mispronouncing it, and it is infact a lower case roman numeral instead of two i's. So it would be pronounced W two. And that sounds hip.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I actually giggle like a school girl when someone says/type Wii.

But you could all be overlooking the fact that you may be mispronouncing it, and it is infact a lower case roman numeral instead of two i's.  So it would be pronounced W two.  And that sounds hip.

No it's Wii as in We.

It's also a kanji with the two ii's representing the controller and people at the same time or something.

478327[/snapback]

I don't think I can agree with that.

I look at the DS and I see how hardware has prompted innovation. And I look forward to the same thing with Wii (which I still can't get).

Look at Oblivion. It's not fundamentally different from Morrowind. Same controller, same sort of control scheme.

Same with GRAW. Looks pretty but it's not different to Rainbow Six in any sort of meaningful way. Games have stagnated in all but eye candy.

That kinda backs up my point though. Right now developers tend to pick a popular genre and just make a game that falls in line with it. We need more games that don't even attempt to conform to traditional genres. Like GTA, Animal Crossing, Europa 1400: The Guild, The Sims, etc.. You don't really need new hardware interfaces to make innovative games, though it could help I suppose.

Does the innovation of DS games come only from the fact is has a stylus and dual screens, or could it be that Nintendo has deliberately tried to make more unorthodox games for it to seperate it from the more traditional library of games the GameBoy offers?

As far as buttons go I think thats it. Back in the stick and one button day anyone could play a game. Thats not true to today. I've seen my parents, who have never expressed any interest in my "hobby" beyond buying what I asked them for play Nintendogs and enjoy it.

That's a good point. I forgot Nintendo is looking more to appeal to people who don't play games rather than avid gamers. Refining the actual controls could be a great way to do that. But perhaps a lot of people just aren't interested in games because the current mainstream genres just aren't all that interesting to the average person.

Call me moronic, but the name is actually starting to grow on me.

It was obvious die-hard gamers would diss the name. Gamespot already has 3600+ comments on the stupidity of it. But those are typical gamers, who are used to names such as Playstation or Gamecube. What they don't seem to realize is that Nintendo is aiming for a much broader audience here. They want the console to reach everyone in the family, hence the easy-to-pick-up remote controller. A name that has "game" or "play" in it won't appeal to those people. But when they see a machine in the store named Wii, they'll stop and take a look. It sounds modern, it sounds high-tech, even though it sounds silly. But at least it sticks out.

I don't think the renaming is a bad move at all. Gamers have already learned about the console anyway, what should they care what the name is... It's the other part of the targeted audience you have to consider when judging this name.

That said, I'll stil probably get one. Depending on the PS3 price. :)

Does the innovation of DS games come only from the fact is has a stylus and dual screens, or could it be that Nintendo has deliberately tried to make more unorthodox games for it to seperate it from the more traditional library of games the GameBoy offers?

Without the stylus and the dula screen (not forgetting the microphone. Those games couldnt be done in a way that would make them playable.

People have said the hardware of the Wii is little more than a souped up Xbox. But in reality what is the hardware of the 360 anyway ?

I don't think an avid gamer would dismiss something like Zelda. Image driven gamers , perhaps..

478327[/snapback]

Yeah, the PC only allows for genres that have been done before.

Like, you know, SPORE, the well known game that has no renewal what-so-ever...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

We (excuse the pun) have been talking about it so much over the last couple of days I'd lost any sort of amusment value.

Even a comment Wii will go over most peoples heads (as in the concept) didnt even get a chuckle from me.

If I ordered one now I'd just ask if I could preorder a Wii and if the sales guy laughed I'd tell him to grow up.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0

478327[/snapback]

not the hardware, which Nintendo seems to get pretty distracted by.

Excuse me? Are you saying PS3 and 360 are NOT distracted by hardware? That's the only thing they talk about with those systems. They never mention the new and innovative way you'll be able to play games. Only that they have X speed processor or new cell technology or blue ray or whatever. None of that has anything to do with the actual games.

Edited by Arkan

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkzkvc96_XY&search=Wii

Enjoy. It's mostly spliced together from various nintendo clips but someone did a very good job.

That was good. Would make a good commercial, too. Wii is (are?) going to be awesome.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

This Wii looks better and better every day.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I found the full Star Wars sequence. Ignore the end it predates the name change.

http://visun.de/bued/revo.mov

As someone said "Another reason it's called Wii is you will wet yourself with exitement"

If whats on that movie can be done I bet some Star Wars fans will :p

478327[/snapback]

I found the full Star Wars sequence. Ignore the end it predates the name change.

http://visun.de/bued/revo.mov

As someone said "Another reason it's called Wii is you will wet yourself with exitement"

If whats on that movie can be done I bet some Star Wars fans will :p

I could see Nintendo having a great lineup of commercials. :lol: