Fallout in 9 minutes?

Jumjalum

There's usually more lameness / meta involved in doing this with CRPGs, but sometimes stuff is really ingenious. But then, some people won't care about that, and that's too bad.

Those recordsetters def. don't think it's the way to play games usually.

That HL2 one in an hour and a half was amazing. I mean...so many shortcuts...took me that long to get past the first couple sections, damn it.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Yes, but having seen things like this, and knowing that nobody who just plays the game has any clue how to do even a quarter of this stuff, those arguments are null and void the second they're typed.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

First of all, the way in which someone else enjoys a game they've purchased is no concern of yours.

Okay, for the village idiots out there: yes, if they use the disks to murder someone or some other non-sense, we need to be concerned. Go leap at yourself.

Anyhow, as I said, however they enjoy the game, it's their business and not yours.

Furthermore, folks like these don't even pose a danger for those of you who want longer, more in-depth games. You know why? They don't get bragging rights for finishing a 10 hour game in 9 minutes. They get bragging rights for finishing a 40 hour game in 9 minutes. I have inside knowledge to folks who like to brag about these kind of things, and they want it to take everyone else a long time so they can brag about how quickly they did it. Morrowind in 7 minutes is the pinnacle of bragging rights because the game grants normal players upwards of a hundred hours or more. They might not be hours of enjoyment, but they're hours nonetheless.

Another thing is, these are normally people who loved the game so much that they invested the time and effort to truly master it. They love the game in the way some of you love your favorite movie or book. Hell, some of them love the game in the same way some of you love your wives.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

If Eldar changed the last word of his post to something else, it would have been perfectly flamey. Then again it would be quite crass for him. :)

I was watching the JK2 video and some of the shortcuts used were quite funny e.g. laying a bunch of mines in a tight spot and leading a boss to them.

Its the only one I've seen so far but it looks like it was done on easy difficulty and the edits between levels may hide the possibiity of not doing the game in one go but rather capturing the best attempt of each level and then making it into a film. In which case it makes it a bit less impressive IMO. :(

Still entertaining to watch.

What if a part of the way I enjoy my games is stuffing the cardboard of the box down little children's throats choking them to death?

Ah, but do you use lubricant?

Edited by Tigranes

I remember this place. If it wasn't for them I would never have gotten one of the final gold cards that I was missing in Bomberman 64. Walkthroughs didn't help, but actually being able to see someone do it made it much clearer.

You don't belong in a village so much as the inner-city, Child. :Eldar's completely blank face with maybe the slightest lifting of one eyebrow icon:

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

As a speedrunner myself, I can understand why some think this is stupid or pointless. But there's only so much challenge you can get out of game before you have to start making it more difficult for you.

We (or at least I) usually play game first time the same way as everyone else. For me the game usually takes bit longer then people on average, because I try to search every place and do every sidequest or complite all objectives. If game allows multiple ways to complite it or some enounters in game are different based on what you do or what gender/class/profession you play, we try those out too.

After game mechanics are known and game is interesting enough, we might start to look what type of things we could in it. This includes speedrunning, either multi-segment (saves) or single-segment (no saves at all) or gimmick runs like ghosting (avoinding doing damage at all if possible) or killing all opponents (by use of only one weapon ect ect).

Speedrunners don't use console command cheats but they do use any bugs that are left in game. Again it's easy to understand that some would say they use cheats. Usually during gimmick runs people don't use bugs, except maybe some AI flaws, environment or kiting (keeping mob away from you while moving around).

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

The real reason why speedruns are nothing like karka and Gabs portray them to be is a simple one:

Because they are fueled by awesomeness.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

As a speedrunner myself, I can understand why some think this is stupid or pointless. But there's only so much challenge you can get out of game before you have to start making it more difficult for you.

We (or at least I) usually play game first time the same way as everyone else. For me the game usually takes bit longer then people on average, because I try to search every place and do every sidequest or complite all objectives. If game allows multiple ways to complite it or some enounters in game are different based on what you do or what gender/class/profession you play, we try those out too.

After game mechanics are known and game is interesting enough, we might start to look what type of things we could in it. This includes speedrunning, either multi-segment (saves) or single-segment (no saves at all) or gimmick runs like ghosting (avoinding doing damage at all if possible) or killing all opponents (by use of only one weapon ect ect).

Speedrunners don't use console command cheats but they do use any bugs that are left in game. Again it's easy to understand that some would say they use cheats. Usually during gimmick runs people don't use bugs, except maybe some AI flaws, environment or kiting (keeping mob away from you while moving around).

What about a game like Tombraider, where there is a bonus level if the player gets all the hidden triggers ... I assume they need to incorporate the triggers and bonus level, too?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

What about a game like Tombraider, where there is a bonus level if the player gets all the hidden triggers ... I assume they need to incorporate the triggers and bonus level, too?

I'm not expert on console type game speedruns with hidden levels and such. It's most likely that in pure speedrun those will be skipped but certain 100% runs (100% secrets, 100% kills/coins/whatever) or 100% speedruns all those are included.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.