What happened to all the good space sims??

OE clan will unite again!

Arr, yarr, garr, a pirates life for me!

Contrary to Polly the Space Parrot's popular belief that we're permanently disbanded, we're still on extended shore leave, yarr!

Couldn't we just find another server as opposed to waiting for the old one to come back up?

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Well Don, since your the unofficial leader/captain of teh poop deck I'll leave it up to you.

I know BOk and Surrep have uninstalled the game, but I bet with some rum they can be bribed into rejoining our little gang of intergalatic space pirates.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I feared I might live long enough to see such a travesty as this happen. A thread about space sims and no mention of I-War? Known as Independence War in the states and certainly one of the finer space combat thingies ever. And fine games to boot, both 1 and 2.

In a more rational state of mind I can admit that I-War is somewhat hard to learn. The big thing about the game is that the ships have inertia and can accelerate in any of the six directions. Don't try this without a joystick, I'm afraid. Or, actually, I can't quite remember if it had mouse control or not, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it. There was an assisted flight mode which does make it possible to jump into the game rather quickly. There was also some slight ship management, you can't buy new ships. The game was campaign based, the sequel had some free-roaming elements.

There were also some stellar mods for the game.

There was a demo of the game (iirc), but the official site is down as the developer is dead. A quick google seems to indicate I-War2 is still being sold by Atari.

Someone mentioned Allegiance earlier in the thread. I've never actually played much Allegiance, but I do have to admit the concept is stellar (pardon the pun). It's a multiplayer only game where all the ships are piloted by humans. Each side has a commander (also human), who basically plays an RTS, with the difference that the forces she commands are played by humans. Rather quake-like physics, strafing and all that. The game has been abandoned by Microsoft ages ago, but there's still a fairly active small community around the game, that has modded the game a fair bit and tries to help with the game's very, very high learning curve.

I distinctly remember the Finnish game mag(the first one actually) "Pelit" giving I-War 2: Edge of Chaos 97 points and "Editor's Choice". And that is a mag that's used to give everything 78 points, for being too simple or too commercial. They pretty much proclaimed it as one of the best games ever. Me? I've never found a copy.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I feel my beard is awesome in that picture.

I wish my connection was awesome as well, hecking heck.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I look fat in that picture, and the least bad ass one of the the bunch.

Sweet.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Yeah, non threatening and fat. Sweet!

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I'm tired of playing Freespace 2 over and over again

Anyone concur?

For the love of god, yes.

Starlancer coop can be a blast, but Freespace 2 is where it's at. Xwing Alliance kept me entertained for a time too, as did Tacyon, but a new GOOD space sim is needed.

Well, same with a new battletec game.

EDIT: and freespace doesn't count. Good game, but not a 'space sim'.

Edited by Nick_i_am

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I'm acutally giving the mod a test run now, Kor. Sadly though, it seems the lancer reactor site is temporarily down, which explains the linkage problem. ;)

Edit: I've found the latest version on another (albeit lame) site. Give this a try:

http://files.moddb.com/1252/download-freeworlds-166/

Edited by jaguars4ever
manthing2.jpg