metadigital

Are you lucky?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Are you lucky?

• Yes
    • No
    • I make my own luck
    • I am not superstitious

I've had my big breaks and I'm thankful for them. Even when things seemed to go badly wrong, the different path I had to take's turned out well in the end - something I wouldn't have considered if not for the past events. So yeah, I think I'm lucky and thankful for it.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Lady Luck does as she sees fit. And I'll not argue with her. But I will say that on balance I've been bloody lucky over the years. By which I mean I have had plenty of good things happen that no human agency could control.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Depends.

I was born in a good family, with parents who always took care of me in every possible way, so I was never short of anything. I'm a healthy guy. Flawlessly made it through my university studies this far. I have more close friends than I could ever dream of.

On the other hand, I suck at games that require luck (dice rolling, blackjack etc...), and I've had awfully bad luck when it comes to women the last few years. >_<

(selfpity) I'm a dude that has slowly come to realize that I fancy other dudes more than gals, I don't consider myself very lucky at all. (/selfpity)

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

I don't really believe in luck.

There are times I feel I couldn't be luckier and others when I feel the whole universe is against me. I can have many of these conditions in a single day.

Нека Силата винаги бъде с теб!

I reject your reality, and substitute it with my own.

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted.

John Lenon

This thread is a big "hey, f*** you!" to the humanity's intelligence.

571911[/snapback]

(selfpity) I'm a dude that has slowly come to realize that I fancy other dudes more than gals, I don't consider myself very lucky at all. (/selfpity)

Are... are you coming out?

yeah, and I hate it.

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Well thanks I guess, it's just one thing with some internet folks whom I'll most likely never meet in person, it's quite another with ones conservative mother. Whats more is that since my older brother seems incapable of settling down or even getting a girlfriend, my parents are looking at me with those "you're gonna give us some grandchildren!" stares (they don't suspect a thing)... oh man why me, lol.

DENMARK!

I make my own luck when I throw my rupees into the pond.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Well thanks I guess, it's just one thing with some internet folks whom I'll most likely never meet in person, it's quite another with ones conservative mother. Whats more is that since my older brother seems incapable of settling down or even getting a girlfriend, my parents are looking at me with those "you're gonna give us some grandchildren!" stares (they don't suspect a thing)... oh man why me, lol.

That is certainly one of the most difficult hands to be dealt, not because of what it is; more because of the society we live in and it's inherent intolerance of alternative lifestyles. >_<

If your parents are good people then they will empathise with you and your plight: they certainly should understand that whatever they feel is secondary to how you feel

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

(metadigital @ Apr 16 2006, 03:08 AM)

That is certainly one of the most difficult hands to be dealt, not because of what it is; more because of the society we live in and it's inherent intolerance of alternative lifestyles.

If your parents are good people then they will empathise with you and your plight: they certainly should understand that whatever they feel is secondary to how you feel

DENMARK!

While I often say "That was lucky" to express "wow, you beat the odds" or whatever, I do not actually believe in luck. :p

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Seems my smiley got deleted somehow, I meant to add a " ;) " after "leftie" :lol:

Well anyway, you could say it was lucky for me that I saw this thread, and got to vent a little.

Edited by Lucius

DENMARK!

Clearly luck is a state of mind. Is it more than that? To exlore this question scientifically, experimental psychologist Richard Wiseman created a "luck lab" at the University of Hertfordshire in England. Wiseman began by testing whether those who believe they are lucky are actually more likey to win the lottery. He recruited 700 subjects who had intended to purchase lottery tickets to complete his luck questionnaire, which is a self-report scale that measures wheteher people consider themselves to be lucky or unlucky. Although lucky people were twice as confident as the unlucky ones that they would win the lottery, there was no difference in winnings.

Wiseman then gave subjects a standardized "life satisfaction" scale, which asks individuals to rank themselves on how satisfied they are with their family life, personal life, financial situation, health and career. The results were striking. "Lucky people are far more satisfied with all areas of their lives than unlucky or neutral people," Wiseman reveals in his charming and insightful book, The Luck Factor (Miramax Books, 2003). Does this satisfied state of mind translate into actual life outcomes that someone might call lucky? It does. Here's how.

Wiseman gave subjects the "big five" personality scale, which measures "agreeableness," "conscientiousness," "extroversion," "neuroticism," and "openness." Although there were no differences between lucky and unlucky people on agreeableness and conscientiousness, Wiseman found significant differences for extroversion, neuroticism and openness.

Lucky people score significantly higher than unlucky people on extroversion. "There are three ways in which lucky people's extroversion significantly increases the likelihood of their having a lucky chance encounter," Wiseman explains: "meeting a large number of people, being a 'social magnet' and keeping in contact with people." Lucky people for example, smile twice as often and engage in more eye contact than unlucky people do, which leads to more social encounters, which generates more opportunities.

The neuroticism dimension measures how anxious or relaxed someone is, and Wiseman found that the lucky ones were half as anxious as the unlucky ones

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

congrats on having a beautiful daugther MD!

I consider myself rather lucky .. I've been dealt a few rough times, quite a few and quite rough, but I've always managed to get out as a better person..

og Lucius, du m

Fortune favors the bald.

Are... are you coming out?

yeah, and I hate it.

Never. Ever. Ever would have guessed it. :ermm:

All the best to you, and good luck. :geek:

Has somebody hacked your sig? :lol:

It is the result of a request from my daughter, that's her site. :huh:

Dear Freaking God!... :o

I mean......um..............that's good. Good for you. And her. Good for everybody. :huh:"

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Never. Ever. Ever would have guessed it.  :blink:

All the best to you, and good luck.  :luck:

Not even a slight suspicion? :D

But thanks, and all the best you to as well. ^_^

I really did spam up this thread didn't I?

For once, it actually wasn't my intention. :">

DENMARK!