Audio Upgrades

Okay, so, when it comes to sound cards and speakers I don't know a thing. However, with my tax return coming soon, I am looking to upgrade my home theater/PC stereo system and want to go wireless. Any of you game maniacs have any tips on a speaker system that will be used for home theater and PC use?

Additionally, I'm looking to upgrade my sound card, so any information in this regard would also be coo. I'll probably end up asking the sound goofs at the office, anyway, but I figured you guys might have some info.

Shopping for speakers in kind of like shopping for a monitor. You'll want to check out a big electronics store that will hopefully have a number of different speaker sets all hooked up to an audio source so that you can try them out. It'll give you a chance to check the volume level of the speakers and the sound quality as well. Something like this you'll definately want to experience first hand before you make your purchase.

A friend of mine from work used to say: "I feel sorry for the guys at Creative and other sound-card vendors. If they hope to make as much progress as those in the video card business have been making, they're going to have to wait for human evolution to catch up."

I just use whatever is on my motherboard and plug it into my crappy stereo :thumbsup:

..no actually I lied, I dont even have a stereo. I spent time at my parents this summer and took the opportinity to nick the old speakers my dad was going to use for his "use my computer as a TV" experiment that failed miserably.

thats two speakers... one for each ear.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I'm not that much of a hardware connaisseur, although I'd also recommend the Creative X-Fi if you're looking for a top quality audio experience. It's been recommended to me by a surprising number of people, many of which didn't actually care much for audio quality before coming into contact with it. On the other hand, the Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 is still a good option; it doesn't reach the same level of quality of the X-Fi but it's satisfying nonetheless and at an affordable price.

If you're interested, here are some reviews:

Audigy 2 review at Techspot

Soundblaster X-Fi review at Techspot

Audigy 2 review at Tom's Hardware

Creative X-Fi review at Tom's Hardware

As for speakers and home theaters, maybe this article will help; it's a comparison article between some of the best, high-end speaker systems.

Home theatre: all the reviews I have read say that the Creative X-Fi is best, it actually up-mixes to 5.1 192kHz from stereo. It is very good for headphones, especially, making normal stereo sets ACCURATE 5.1 (3D soundscape object placement).

It's expensive, though, and not many games are written with OpenAL extensions (yet) and take advantage of the 130 voice capability (Battlefield 2 being one notable exeception), so the X-RAM seems a bit uneconomic. You do get a remote control and a 5

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Bah, there's other cards that are better than Creative and even have features that the X-Fi doesn't have, to an even cheaper price.

auzen.jpg

The Hitec HDA Xplosion.

Features:

- C-Media CMI8770 PCI chipset (8CH audio single chip with DTS

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Read the final line at the features, lazy-boy :-

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Read the final line at the features, lazy-boy :p

It doesn't have support for EAX 4 though... :-

EAX is Creative's creation, and it's not even up to license for other makers of soundcards. They simply have to wait until Creative feels like releasing it public (like they recently did with EAX 3.0 and OpenAL added it shortly after).

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

It doesn't have support for EAX 4 though... :-

EAX is Creative's creation, and it's not even up to license for other makers of soundcards. They simply have to wait until Creative feels like releasing it public (like they recently did with EAX 3.0 and OpenAL added it shortly after).

Oh I know. Just pointing out something that the card doesn't have that the creative cards would. :p"

It doesn't have support for EAX 4 though... ;)

Oh I know. Just pointing out something that the card doesn't have that the creative cards would. :-"

Wel,l if you like to split hairs, you got a point ;)

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy