I hate the fantasy genre

Put a stop to fantasy?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Put a stop to fantasy?

• Yes, we've had enough, put a stop to it now.
    • No! I love fantasy and you're evil and mean.

Yeah.

V

By the way Star Wars is fantasy.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Has anyone mentioned that star wars is fantasy yet?

Does Star Wars have:

- Pesudomedieval setting? No.

- Elves and orcs? No.

- Dragons? No.

Thus, Star Wars is not Fantasy in any real sense.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Starwars has:

- "Knights" that run around poking their noses into others business. Using melee weapons and magic powers to take out characters with NPC classes.

- Enough effeminate near-human races to fill a book

- Dragon men.

Edited by Weiser_Cain

Yaw devs, Yaw!!! (

Has anyone mentioned that star wars is fantasy yet?

Does Star Wars have:

- Elves and orcs? No.

- Dragons? No.

Pesudomedieval setting: Jedi Knights

Elves and orcs?: no, but 'pigmen' and such :-

Dragons?: yep, I know even two races of them

IB1OsQq.png

Nay, only the ones who moderate the KotOR 2 side of the fora.

zing'd

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Does Star Wars have:

- Elves and orcs? No.

- Dragons? No.

What makes a story fantasy is not the miscellaneous drivel such as elves and dragons, but its central use of magic. The Force is the magic of Star Wars. If you take away the magic and not the technology the story of Star Wars would not function but if you take away the technology and placed in in a medieval setting the overall story and themes would remain unchanged.

But since Star Wars is set in a future universe with high-tech robots, spaceships, aliens and lasers, its not Fantasy whichever way you want to twist it. The prime criteria for something to be classified as Fantasy is that it takes place in a sort of pseudo-medieval mythical fairytale world.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Don't bother trying to outknowlegde Kaftan. He doesn't budge, even if you are right. The whole genre thing is all balls anyways.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

But since Star Wars is set in a future universe with high-tech robots, spaceships, aliens and lasers, its not Fantasy whichever way you want to twist it. The prime criteria for something to be classified as Fantasy is that it takes place in a sort of pseudo-medieval mythical fairytale world.

Actually, it's

a long time ago

in a galaxy far, far away

^_^

(presumably also a parallel dimension where the laws of physics are suspended and the bollocks laws of Space Opera rule supreme). :-

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

No, the prime criteria for a fantasy is magic and how involved it is in the central theme of the setting and story. Such as would you consider Harry Potter fantasy even though it doesn't take place in a medieval fairytale world? It takes place in quite modern world. The same thing with the Shadowrun setting. Sure it has all the techno doodads but magic is what shapes the setting therefore fantasy.

The problem with that is the high tech gear is irrelevant to the primary themes of the story and setting. In Star Wars its all about the Force, all about the magic. Its about the Black and White view of good and evil, which is very much prevelant in fantasy literature, regardless of tech level.

Judge Hades on the nose there.

Bad fantasy is like everything else that's bad. It's bad.

Personally I'm sick of stories about late twenty something women.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

That must mean the Valentine's date has matured into a full-throttle neck-deep-in-romantic-comedies relationship ... :-"

Personally I avoided the whole movie thing and just took Lindsay to a dance... :D

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

theres a sea of sad excuses for "art" featuring chainmail bikinis on elves...  and still it just keeps on commin

It believe the last word is actually spelled with a u, but that section is actually the good stuff even though it do seem to be a bit to self-aware of the sex of the majority of gamers...

But by fantasy you are actually just referring to AD&D rhombs? (I saw how SW was discarded)

(Signatures: disabled) 

That must mean the Valentine's date has matured into a full-throttle neck-deep-in-romantic-comedies relationship ... ;)"

Eh? I got dumped, brutally.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.