What games do the developers play?

mkreku

One day you'll be able to say, "Barbie: Groovie Games was a huge influence on my work!" B)

I might have to break down and buy Max Payne for the PC. I'd just like to feel like I have a choice rather than being the old dog who can't learn the new trick with xbox controllers.

You're a pretty varied bunch over there. Text adventures, scrabble, FPSes, arcade style games, kids' games, and cardgames like Cribbage. What a spread.

Even the dreaded *gasp* Diablo. Heh, for my sins, I enjoyed both Diablo and Dungeon Siege. I know... I know... DS is a great screen saver. Hey, when you get old, you want your games to play themselves. It's easier on you that way.

I hope this isn't an offensive question, but do you think that some of these non-type games really do have an influence on your work for something like an RPG? It just sounds like there wouldn't be much there that would impact your current project.

Max Payne, maybe, because the presentation and atmosphere in an FPS is somewhat similar to a CRPG. Some of the other games, though... Or is it simply a matter that games are games and you can't really tell where the influence begins or ends.

Sorry to keep peppering you fellows with questions. :)

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

alright, this list may not be nearly as impressive as others..

XBOX

EA Fight Night

Prince of Persia

Baldurs Gate:DA II

Soul Caliber

Halo

Need for speed Hot Pusuit 2

SSX 3

Splinter Cell

PC

Battlefield :Vietnam

PALM

gammon

sumo

...(heard B Menze's been playing pocket pool with his palm)

Guest Michael Chu
I hope this isn't an offensive question, but do you think that some of these non-type games really do have an influence on your work for something like an RPG?  It just sounds like there wouldn't be much there that would impact your current project.

Absolutely. I think that there are things you can take from any game out there and incorporate it into what you're working. It could be anything from a user interface choice or a way that sub-quests and plot is handed down to the player. You'd be surprised at how many great ideas come from crossing genres, and introducing these concepts to different types of games.

For example, you wouldn't think FPSs would have anything to learn from RPGs, and yet inventory management and skills systems taste great in our shooters these days.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been playing a ton lately, but here's the list:

BF1942/Vietnam

Lineage 2

City of Heroes

WoW Beta

Sacred

Painkiller

I need to get my console on though, since I haven't fired up the GC, PS2 or Xbox (except for Media Center) for the past month.

Feargus Urquhart

CEO

Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.

You'd think the guy who runs the show over there would get a better tag than "developer." You know, maybe something like "uber-developer" or "Jeffe in chief" or something like that. ...Not that I'm complaining.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

The next interesting question is: how do you play the games. Using the most easy settings and play ala arcade and finish the game in 2 hours, or using difficulty settings, playing more "seriosly" many hours.

Any of the devs played Freedom Fighters? If not, pick it up for next to nothing and thank me later.

Freedom Fighters (though a tad short) is a good game. 720p as well on the xbox =)

I just loved the simple put amazingly effective commands you had for your squad. Not to mention some killer AI (for your squad, at least). The enemies coud be lacking at times. They announced a sequel for 2005.

I missed Crimson Skies on the PC, I played the Xbox version; its one of the few games on my list that I finished. Is there a difference between the two?

actually, yes, but couldn't tell you what for sure. I owned the first Crimson Skies and loved it, but that came out several years ago. The new one is a different game with much improved graphics, but as I said, never played so I don't know much more.

Considering picking up a X-box to play that and Ninja Gaiden. Doom 3 as well, unless I cough up the cash for a new computer or some serious upgrades. Fable has my interest as well. I feel bad tho, having never owned a console that wasn't Nintendo. Tho my GC will gets lots of play with Nintendos upcoming line up.

The GC keeps disappointing me. There are very few good games, and the prices on games don't come down. With the PS2 and X-Box, there are so many good titles, that I can usually find a great game for $20 or less.

Zelda, Metroid Prime, and Super Mario Sunshine I all want to try, but they're all still $40 or more. I rarely buy console games at launch. I save the big bucks for PC games.

Ok, dspitzley, I really hope you have a lot of influence over the rest of the development team! I saw your favourite games were (among others) Ultima IV/V and that you enjoyed exploring.. That's exactly how I play my games and I rank the Ultima's way up there too! Finally someone among the Obsidian staff who ISN'T AN IDI.. er.. I mean, who has a refined taste in computer entertainment.

Go, dspitzley!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Zelda, Metroid Prime, and Super Mario Sunshine I all want to try, but they're all still $40 or more.  I rarely buy console games at launch.  I save the big bucks for PC games.

not to get a GC discussion going, but fyi, Mario is 29.99 and metroid is 19.99

Players choice list

including Activision's Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 and Namco's Soul Calibur II (slated to debut at Player's Choice price level on May 25).

I've been playing City of Heroes myself. Unfortunately, my coursework is a bear, so I haven't had the time to play as much as I'd like. It's also my first MMORPG. I consider it Role-playing, no doubt.

Crimson Skies rocks. I went through the packaged campaign three times, which isn't bad for an xbox title, and then I've played some multiplayer games.

Obsidian Plays

Between City of Heroes, and Tabula Rasa, I think I may have to give MMORPGs another try.

Tabula Rasa looks like the first MMORPG ever designed around "having fun" rather than maximizing profitability. It focuses on all the good parts, while cutting out the rest.

Ok, dspitzley, I really hope you have a lot of influence over the rest of the development team! I saw your favourite games were (among others) Ultima IV/V and that you enjoyed exploring.. That's exactly how I play my games and I rank the Ultima's way up there too! Finally someone among the Obsidian staff who ISN'T AN IDI.. er.. I mean, who has a refined taste in computer entertainment.

Go, dspitzley!

Spitzley isn't alone with Ultima IV and V being top favorite games ever. I know Ultima IV and PS:T are like neck and neck for my favorite game ever. Although I still have to mentally wrestle with KotOR and see if that has knocked one or the other down a notch.

Spitzley, though, is a man of fine tastes. :p

-Ferret

Am I the only one who thought that Ultima V was a better game than Ultima IV?

Ultima IV was innovative and different, but the game felt unfinished. There was no villian to speak of. The plot was lacking, and the game was filled with silly NPCs with names like Shakespeare and Buddha.

Ultima V took the concepts of the virtues introduced in IV, and took them to the next level. The game took a darker turn, and introduced villians. There were more plots and sidequests. Dialogue was improved, features were added, and a much better tileset to boot.

Long live Ultima V!

Am I the only one who thought that Ultima V was a better game than Ultima IV?

Ultima IV was innovative and different, but the game felt unfinished. There was no villian to speak of. The plot was lacking, and the game was filled with silly NPCs with names like Shakespeare and Buddha.

Ultima V took the concepts of the virtues introduced in IV, and took them to the next level. The game took a darker turn, and introduced villians. There were more plots and sidequests. Dialogue was improved, features were added, and a much better tileset to boot.

Long live Ultima V!

Not to mention that Ultima V is the ONLY game I've been able to run in Commodore 128 mode on my Commodore 128! The C64 didn't have in-game music and had A LOT of disc swapping. The Commodore 128 had absolutely beautiful in-game music and didn't even have half the disc swapping as the C64 version.

But Ultima IV came first and it really changed the way I looked at computer RPG's. Never before had the C64 had such a vast world to explore. I agree that Ultima V was a better game than Ultima IV, but since it was a sequel it is inevitably judged by harsher standards. Just like KotOR 2 will be. (Feel the pressure, Obsidian boys!)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!