My Review of Dungeons and Dragons Online

It will be interesting to see what you think over time.  I think the focus of D&DO is far too narrow to hold subcribers in the med - long run, not to mention the ones that don't sign up in the first place.

I think that's the problem - if they had a model like Guild Wars (which the instanced adventures part of D&D Online apparently resembles) where you only pay for the expansions you want and no monthly subscription, then I think this would work.

As it is, I've already heard of people hitting ht level cap under 1 week which is hardly going to keep people's attention enough to want to pay the subscription fee over a long period of time.

I'd buy it if it was set-up like Guild Wars but at the moment it doesn't sound like value for money to me.

I agree - this game is just begging for the Guild Wars model (not that it would happen). Without crafting, solo content or a persistent world to explore, it's just too hard for many people to organise grouping regularly enough to justify the subscription. I understand why they did it and in part I admire their attempt to remain true to D&D's small group roots but I just don't think this makes for a game that will find a large enough audience when the initial honeymoon has worn off.

And even if it maintains modestly good subscriptions (say 200-300,000), watch for the deluge of negative press just like SWG, because this a brand that demands huge success or the vultures will begin to circle.

That is why I said its a good diversion for those who need thier DnD fix till NWN 2 is released. Once NWN 2 is released I see DDO's membership drop like a stone.

EDIT: Though listening to old school Metallica and going though some of the dungeons is fun.

Edited by Judge Hades

Well, like any online game it is only as good as its players and it seems that no one there cares about actually role playing. I have tried countless times to try to strike up conversations in character and was promptly ignored. The game is great. The people suck.

In the recent months I have tried FPS, MMORPG, and Action oriented RPG-lites. I have tried to maintain a open mind about all of them and you know what I have figured out: they suck compared to real CRPGs.

Heaven forbid that I buy a rpg game and actually expect to role play, MMO or otherwise. :p

Are you whining about this one now to?

More about the people who play MMPORGs than the game. Hades was expecting to see people roleplay in an MMPORG. It's kinda sweet and yet sad at the same time.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Isn't that the point of a role playing game?  To role play?  If not then why the hell do they put in RPG in front of the MMO if the point is not to role play.

But you are going online to play with the majority being a bunch of kids. They aren't going to care about RPing, only to win the game or be the highest scorer.

Isn't that the point of a role playing game?  To role play?  If not then why the hell do they put in RPG in front of the MMO if the point is not to role play.

Competition and/or team play is the lure of those games. The 'RPG' part refers to the basic gameplay mechanics of the genre, nothing more.

That said, roleplaying in those games just seems puerile to me, like some sort of extended need to project your childhood fantasies in a grown up enviorment.

In my time with WoW i was in a so called 'Roleplaying' guild, and whilst i enjoyed the casual and mature nature of the people i played with i could never bring myself to do it.