My Review of Dungeons and Dragons Online

You can find role playing if you try. I've found it in City of Heroes, I've found it in Guildwars, I've found it in Neverwinter Nights, I could find it in Dungeons and Dragons Online... The difference is I have no desire in playing D&D online.

Hades probably played the original Doom in an attempt to try and get into FPS games, or something equally ludicrous.

Isn't that the point of a role playing game?  To role play?  If not then why the hell do they put in RPG in front of the MMO if the point is not to role play.

Competition and/or team play is the lure of those games. The 'RPG' part refers to the basic gameplay mechanics of the genre, nothing more.

That said, roleplaying in those games just seems puerile to me, like some sort of extended need to project your childhood fantasies in a grown up enviorment.

In my time with WoW i was in a so called 'Roleplaying' guild, and whilst i enjoyed the casual and mature nature of the people i played with i could never bring myself to do it.

I think the ability to make personality choices through my character that influence the outcome of things in the world is the only requirement for a game to be an RPG.
Codex Interview with JE Sawyer
Oh well, that is that I guess.  Man, I never want to play another online freaking game ever again.

I have read good reports of the European servers (n.b. NOT British), especially German. You might like try a different country ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

There were numerous different game mechanics defined: single character FPS, tactical group assaults, and using aliens (giant ants), vehicular maze resolution, plus with shooting, zero point energy control of objects (online toilet sparring) ...

[Half-Life 2 is] okay, I guess but it is still pretty much just shooting things over and over again.  I do like the grav gun.

That is like saying that all games with magic and elves are RPGs ... :D

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

There were numerous different game mechanics defined: single character FPS, tactical group assaults, and using aliens (giant ants), vehicular maze resolution, plus with shooting, zero point energy control of objects (online toilet sparring) ...
[Half-Life 2 is] okay, I guess but it is still pretty much just shooting things over and over again.  I do like the grav gun.

That is like saying that all games with magic and elves are RPGs ... :D

But they are. How many magic using elves are in FPS's?

The Sidhe were sort of elves, yeah. I think Corvus, the pc in Heretic 3 was one.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I rate H3 and Hexen 2 up there with Rune and Severance on fantasy asskicking. :D

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

And Rune wasn't? The whole turning into Loki's avatar-business and showing Hel who's the jarl. I mean, the "dip" before the end has got to be the most over the top twist in any game ever. :D

kirottu said:

Anyone remember Strife? That was a cool FPS style game.

edit: Oh Hades, did you join a RP server, or is that even an option? Not that there is real RP on those servers, but after the first month they tend to settle down as a mature group of gamers.

Edited by Hurlshot

"I think the ability to make personality choices through my character that influence the outcome of things in the world is the only requirement for a game to be an RPG."

Alas, that's exactly the greatest problem a developer faces when working on a MMORPG. It's virtually impossible to allow the player to have a lasting impact in a multiplayer setting based on an open, persistent world.

At present, most MMORPGs cannot allow any real interaction, and thus, they truly have no real gaming value if stripped of the multiplayer appeal.

Folks who join those games with the pretense they can simply ignore the multiplayer aspect are going to inesorably fall into disappointment.

Edited by Lyric Suite

"I think the ability to make personality choices through my character that influence the outcome of things in the world is the only requirement for a game to be an RPG."

Alas, that's exactly the greatest problem a developer faces when working on a MMORPG. It's virtually impossible to allow the player to have a lasting impact in a multiplayer setting based on an open, persistent world.

At present, most MMORPGs cannot allow any real interaction, and thus, they truly have no real gaming value if stripped of the multiplayer appeal.

Folks who join those games with the pretense they can simply ignore the multiplayer aspect are going to inesorably fall into disappointment.

No, I 'dn't thin's im`possible. From what I read, that seems to happen troutinely in EVE Online. Even if it ionvolves a lot of metagaming, a dynamic world that changes in accordance to players' actions is possible. So I guess it's juts a matter of time until devs leanr to make world sless staticm, and more dependant on players' actions.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Know what would be even more kickarse?

A drow ranger.

No, no - you mean a dual scimitar wielding drow ranger! Not that would be kickass! :-"

---

Also: Good review Hades. But I still think I'll give this one a miss. Just like every other MMORPG.

Hades: +5 TOMBS

We hates drow rangers we does. Betrayers of the Dark Mother.

Hades is now out of some money after buy DDO, even though he wasrned that it would not suite him. :ermm: