Morrowind questions, need help please

Kalfear

I thought the d20 system was being scrapped for Star Wars pnp.

Well, I won't be scrapping it.

And shepherds we shall be,

for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,

that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.

So we shall flow a river forth unto Thee,

and teeming with souls shall it ever be,

In Nomine Patris, et Fili, et Spiritus Sancti.

I think it might be a bit too easy to say that Dexterity doesn't equal skill.

The thing is, even compared to other D20 games (or even AD&D games, or whatever), I found KOTOR's combat uninspired.

I'm not saying I need some sort of real time combat for it to be fun. Fallout's combat was some of the most fun I had ever had.

Edited by alanschu

For example, I have a degenerative back disease (alot like Arthritis but in spine), my avatars do not! Mashing buttons for any extended period causes me physical pain, so why should my physical limitations, limit my avatar whose not aflicted by them?

I have a somewhat similar experience. I have an injury that effects my left hand quite a bit, (if you notice I edit a fracking lot) and sometimes the fingers don't do what they are told. Now on xbox, this isn't AS big a deal, but it does limit my ability severely on PC. (read my rant on being stuck on the Ebon Hawk. I had to find a way to port a USB controller to the game to get off the damned ship.) So a mash fest real time system is going to be a problem for me, as sometimes even my thumb doesn't do what it's told, and I lose focus of other things I am doing to have to consciously think about what I want my damned left hand to do. Morrowind was annoying as hell because even the little critters could hit me two or three times before I could get it together enough to kill the things. And then there was all that running........

Curiously, the one game that isn't as effected for me is Halo. I'll never MLG it, but I have some suprisingly good levels for as crippled up as I am. Well, I did. Before I canceled my original live account. (During the whole cheat fest insanity before the last update) My new live account I haven't really fiddled with nearly as much, but I still have a 14 in Snipers playing once a week. Why? Because Snipers is a game where I can step back and think for a second and decide on a course of action.

Speaking of Halo, I just got invited to play some snipers on IM. Catch you in a bit. :huh:

Edited by SSgtSniper

Trust me, he skips the werewolf.

In any case, I think this is the first time I can remember where someone said they liked KOTOR's combat more than another game.

LOL alan, im exact opposite, of all my friends only ONE likes morrowind and (as sniper puts it) RTS crap over D20 rules.

D20 makes sence in a RPG, after all your playing your character, you character is not playing you!

Pfff.

D20 rules or some other rules set, it's all numbers in the end. Numbers decide who will hit for xdamage. It's always like that underneath any RPG, wether it's Fallout, KOTOR, Morrowind, Wizardry.

Any game where you get to levelup a character is a RPG, you play a role. Some RPGs are deeper than others but it's always YOUR character.

You say it like only D20 let's you play your character and thats just not true unless you, yourself, have never played anything else but D&D based RPGs. In that case, you need to open your mind to other things. :huh:

LOL Ast, I think its safe to say I have probably played as many (if not more) systems then yourself.

Everyone of those systems has faults but the system with the least amount of faults is the D20 system. Because it reflects your character skill level rather then your own dexterity! Dexterity is NOT skill, its just the ability to button mash ALOT!

There is a reason your character is refered to as an Avatar, its your character and skill base for that setting.

For example, I have a degenerative back disease (alot like Arthritis but in spine), my avatars do not! Mashing buttons for any extended period causes me physical pain, so why should my physical limitations, limit my avatar whose not aflicted by them?

For this very reason I stay away from FPSs and RTS games, but those game rely on YOUR dexterity, I prefer RPGs that allow me to work my mind and utilize a CHARACTERS skill base.

Role Playing is exactly that, your playing a DIFFERENT character/person not limited or enhanced by your own real world atributes. D20 system allows for this the best of all systems!

Ok well that all makes a lot of sense. I don't have physical problems like you and others, so to me, Dex in a game is the same as Cha or Str or it has the same influence on me as damage done using a rifle in a FPS. It's a stat used to influence my gaming experience. We just have different perspectives.

Very interesting.

NVM. The little turd gets me all excited and then says, oh, phone call, I'll get with you a bit. Tease.

Astrocreep, he was referring more to you actual physical dexterity in your hands, not the stat in the game.

No, the autopause. Hehe.

No, the autopause. Hehe.

The autopause/commence orders when you have them right is a feature quite a few people have mentioned for the same reason.

Although there is nothing that ties that dirrectly to d20 rules, or even the turns running in the background. But it does mean that games which use direct button imputs like JE wont work.

I still think it leaves a bit of wiggle room though.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Yeah, JE was a lost cause after not very far into it.

I don't think it'll leave as much wiggle room as you think. The ability to pause, set up everybody for the next twelve seconds, (four three second turns) and then repause and adjust if neccesary was one of the things I loved about KOTOR.

Yeah, JE was a lost cause after not very far into it.

I don't think it'll leave as much wiggle room as you think. The ability to pause, set up everybody for the next twelve seconds, (four three second turns) and then repause and adjust if neccesary was one of the things I loved about KOTOR.

Quite a bit of leaping about required.

Well you dont really need turns for that to be possible, just a measured combat pace. I don't think Freedom Force uses turns, but you can adjust the pace (like half speed quarter speed etc) and pause in the same way as you can in KOTOR.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Possibly. One thing I will say, getting back to Morrow-cuts-wind, is that not only did it have no predictable story (from what I have read, you didn't even get to understanding there was one until you read a lot of stuff) lots of running about, and what's the word, clunky interface, even on the xbox (which was the version I tried.) So it failed, went back, and I believe the next game I rented was Midnight Club, which was comic bookish enough in its format so I could actually win some races, but the music annoyed the hell out of me.

Edited by SSgtSniper

Each turn was 6 seconds wasn't it? ;-"

</nitpick>

I just assumed it was since the defacto Bioware interpretation of the D&D style rules since Baldur's Gate was 6 seconds for a turn. Though now that you mention it, KOTOR does seem a bit faster than those games.

Edited by alanschu

Nope, three seconds. The only way I could prove this is Statis field lasted four turns, and in it's description it clearly states that it freezes opponents for 12 seconds.

Edited by SSgtSniper

Astrocreep, he was referring more to you actual physical dexterity in your hands, not the stat in the game.

He was saying that he prefers D20 because it allows him to use the game's stats to compensate for his lack of it, in this case Dex.

I find this perspective interesting because to me, not having a disability, it's all number crunshing from the computer. For CRPGs, I don't see much difference between D20 system and, say, Wizardry system or Morrowind.

I find it interesting because I never thought about like that, I've always found D&D games too restrictive, and that won't change, but usually it's not a bad thing anyway because it is in context. I know I'm playing a D20 CRPG so I expect the restrictions and that's fine.

As with Morrowind, the fact my personal skills determine more outcomes, I find that experience to be more immersive. I get more freedom to do what I want.

Each system has it's own limitations and benefits, and they appeal to different crowds of gamers with some, like me, who don't mind either way.

Possibly. One thing I will say, getting back to Morrow-cuts-wind, is that not only did it have no predictable story (from what I have read, you didn't even get to understanding there was one until you read a lot of stuff) lots of running about, and what's the word, clunky interface, even on the xbox (which was the version I tried.) So it failed, went back, and I believe the next game I rented was Midnight Club, which was comic bookish enough in its format so I could actually win some races, but the music annoyed the hell out of me.

For Morrowind's story, read my previous post, on the first or second page of this thread.

And you don't need to read to progress in the story. Not more than any other RPGs where you have subtitles.

There are a lot of books in Morrowind but you don't need to read any of those to progress the story. Some you need to open, which will trigger a quest event but you don't need to read it most of the time.

Morrowind could be a good game. The problem is that the lovingly crafted freeform world was to empty and the interface was not fit for purpose. (You can say move the mouse to effect a strike / slash / club / whatever, but how many people don't just click the "use best attack"?)

Beside that, for some reason the developers decided that realism was more important than fun, so walking was implemented to in such a way as to make the game almost unplayable. How is that fun?

I think what needed to be done is remove som things. Not every idea is a winner. Good writing is knowing what to cut as well as what to keep ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Okies so Im forcing myself to play Morrowind (as I bought it), have tried before but lost interest fast. So Im at a cross roads now.

I have finished first town and half way through second one and STILL have no idea what the storyline is. Whats my agenda? My goals? Why am I doing all this? Someone explain it to me please.

Now I admit I have started to skip reading stuff because 24 page books every 2 rooms and asking every NPC 30 different questions is just to much and to boring, if I wanted to read "War and Peace" , I would read "War and Peace".

So my questions are"

1) Whats the story line as I have yet to see any patern or meaning form in the game?

2) Does the game get better or does it remain just ALOT of reading with no answers or meaning? (get quest, run quest, get quest, run quest for no other reason then doing them)

Also I HATE HATE HATE the combat in Morrowind. Worst combat I have ever seen in a RPG to date.

PS: About Oblivion if anyone knows.

1) Does it have a better combat system (auto targeting and REAL 3rd person option desperately needed)

2) Is its story line more straight forward the Morrowind?

Thanks for answers in advance!

PPS: KotOR1&2 and JE have really spoiled me far as storylines and user interfaces go. Can really see the problems in Morrowind after playing those 3 games.

you can get lots of good upgrade mods...

Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Morrowind could be a good game. The problem is that the lovingly crafted freeform world was to empty and the interface was not fit for purpose. (You can say move the mouse to effect a strike / slash / club / whatever, but how many people don't just click the "use best attack"?)

Beside that, for some reason the developers decided that realism was more important than fun, so walking was implemented to in such a way as to make the game almost unplayable. How is that fun?

I think what needed to be done is remove som things. Not every idea is a winner. Good writing is knowing what to cut as well as what to keep ...

right on...Morrowind emphasizes *realism* and *immersion* above all else. being able to buy farm implements and silverware and such items from merchants that you absolutely cannot use illustrates the point.

for me, advancing in the Mage's Guild was more fun than trying to complete the main quest.

Morrowind only has one point: do whatever you want.

HINT: read some walkthroughs that tell you how to use the Creeper and the Mudcrab to unload your loaded Soul Gems (there is a merchant in Tel Branora or something like that that sells Common Soul Gems).....money is the hidden engine in this game...you find a way to make a lot of money, you can afford training and spells.

HINT:  read some walkthroughs that tell you how to use the Creeper and the Mudcrab to unload your loaded Soul Gems (there is a merchant in Tel Branora or something like that that sells Common Soul Gems).....money is the hidden engine in this game...you find a way to make a lot of money, you can afford training and spells.

Raiding ruins worked for me. Although finding anyone with enough cash to buy the stuff was probably harder than the raids.

478327[/snapback]

Yep, that was the point. There is one (two?) merchants that have infinite fund-restores after your PC sells something, exits from the conversation and re-initiates it ... the dude in the middle of the island in the giant crab shell was one, I think ...

right on...Morrowind emphasizes *realism* and *immersion* above all else. being able to buy farm implements and silverware and such items from merchants that you absolutely cannot use illustrates the point.

... At the expense of FUN. If my character actually needed to eat with a knife and fork, or COULD, then maybe it might be useful to have them in the game. Then again I would have probably been able to finish the game if the walking speed was 50% faster from the start.

I don't need to play a game that is more boring than RL. I would rather go sky diving or rock climbing ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Yep, that was the point. There is one (two?) merchants that have infinite fund-restores after your PC sells something, exits from the conversation and re-initiates it ... the dude in the middle of the island in the giant crab shell was one, I think ...

... At the expense of FUN. If my character actually needed to eat with a knife and fork, or COULD, then maybe it might be useful to have them in the game. Then again I would have probably been able to finish the game if the walking speed was 50% faster from the start.

I don't need to play a game that is more boring than RL. I would rather go sky diving or rock climbing ...

you can eat and drink if you have the PC game...

just download the Necessaries of Morrowind Mod...

Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot