Morrowind questions, need help please

Kalfear

I think I'll skip both and be just as happy as the whole lot of you. =]

I'm there! Its a plan. Kalfear skips Oblivion, I skip JE, Sniper skips both and Hades skips the werewolf. Everybody wins!

LOL that works!

But I think its "Hades SAYS he skips everything but truely he buys them all" LOL

Just installed Morrowind GOTY earlier today. I'm already not sure how long I can take the pacing of the game, and I dunno about the method of combat either. Maybe I misunderstood -- the longer you hold down the mouse button before release, the more powerful your hit will be? =] ...Well, I guess I'll just have to get into a fight first, and see how it goes.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

When it comes to a combat system that is not automatic, I prefer the the character skill not be taken into account for determining a hit. It is bizarre feedback to clearly see an arrow hit a guy right in the face, but for some reason you still "miss."

Though I don't mind a widening of the crosshairs and having ranged shots appear in there somewhere with some randomness, but with melee it look awkward (and silly IMO).

Just installed Morrowind GOTY earlier today. I'm already not sure how long I can take the pacing of the game, and I dunno about the method of combat either. Maybe I misunderstood -- the longer you hold down the mouse button before release, the more powerful your hit will be?  =] ...Well, I guess I'll just have to get into a fight first, and see how it goes.

No. Nothing so intuitive. :(

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Trust me, he skips the werewolf.

In any case, I think this is the first time I can remember where someone said they liked KOTOR's combat more than another game.

I loved KOTOR's combat. D20 system FTW. They change that, and I'll rent KOTOR III instead of just summarily purchasing it. I hate that crap like what you see in most of the RPGs, half-breed-turn-based-to-real-time-vomit-goes-back-to-the-video-store.

(Did I make my feelings clear on the matter?)

Edited by SSgtSniper

And shepherds we shall be,

for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,

that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.

So we shall flow a river forth unto Thee,

and teeming with souls shall it ever be,

In Nomine Patris, et Fili, et Spiritus Sancti.

Just installed Morrowind GOTY earlier today. I'm already not sure how long I can take the pacing of the game, and I dunno about the method of combat either. Maybe I misunderstood -- the longer you hold down the mouse button before release, the more powerful your hit will be?  :blink: ...Well, I guess I'll just have to get into a fight first, and see how it goes.

No. Nothing so intuitive. :)

Actually, yes, that intuitive.

You can also move your mouse left/right or forward/backward and your weapon will slash, thrust or bash/shop. Each weapon will do more damage depending on a specific move. For example, bashing with a club will do more damage than slashing with a club. It does not get any deeper unless you get a mod, and you can check a box in the options that will allow you to always use the best attack type for the weapon used by simply clicking the left mouse button. A lot of people will check this box and complain that the combat is not deep enough. <_<

It does need work though. ;)

In any case, I think this is the first time I can remember where someone said they liked KOTOR's combat more than another game.

LOL alan, im exact opposite, of all my friends only ONE likes morrowind and (as sniper puts it) RTS crap over D20 rules.

D20 makes sence in a RPG, after all your playing your character, you character is not playing you!

LOL alan, im exact opposite, of all my friends only ONE likes morrowind and (as sniper puts it) RTS crap over D20 rules.

D20 makes sence in a RPG, after all your playing your character, you character is not playing you!

Pfff.

D20 rules or some other rules set, it's all numbers in the end. Numbers decide who will hit for xdamage. It's always like that underneath any RPG, wether it's Fallout, KOTOR, Morrowind, Wizardry.

Any game where you get to levelup a character is a RPG, you play a role. Some RPGs are deeper than others but it's always YOUR character.

You say it like only D20 let's you play your character and thats just not true unless you, yourself, have never played anything else but D&D based RPGs. In that case, you need to open your mind to other things. :lol:

The combat is functional, but it is rather boring. Especially in KOTOR, where my "tactic" was to hit '1' really fast so that I could spam Flurry.

I didn't find the combat challenging, and it suffered from the usual problems that come with automatic combat...way too much standing around.

If the combat was actually challenging, then it'd probably be a different story. I remember knocking Sion down to zero health and triggering the conversation after a single Flurry.

RPG combat is never particularly challenging. Unless you actually go out of your way to make it so.

Actually, thats not 100% accurate, sometimes at the start of the game it can be.Especially in systems where luck is a big factor.

But thats why you have a character anyway. It's your characters abilities that are being tested , not yours.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Pfff.

D20 rules or some other rules set, it's all numbers in the end. Numbers decide who will hit for xdamage. It's always like that underneath any RPG, wether it's Fallout, KOTOR, Morrowind, Wizardry.

Any game where you get to levelup a character is a RPG, you play a role. Some RPGs are deeper than others but it's always YOUR character.

You say it like only D20 let's you play your character and thats just not true unless you, yourself, have never played anything else but D&D based RPGs. In that case, you need to open your mind to other things. :lol:

I shouldn't have to be forced into something I don't enjoy to continue particiapting in a franchise I have dutifully supported. (K1 and 2 on xbox, K2 on PC as well)

I like the D20 system. The rumors they are abandoning it frustrate me. Especially when it's made them so much money. Why kill something that sells? I never will understand that.

Btw, I only OWN (read: did not rent and return) two CRPG's, that's the two KOTORs. So that should tell you difinitely how much I find the other RPG formats utterly annoying. I do not want real time. I'm not here (playing RPG's) for buttom mashing madness, I'm here to THINK. If I wanted mindless button mashing, that's what I have Dynasty warriors for. (My wife loves that franchise, and I find it fun to play games with her.)

Edited by SSgtSniper

Btw, I only OWN (read: did not rent and return) two CRPG's, that's the two KOTORs. So that should tell you difinitely how much I find the other RPG formats utterly annoying. I do not want real time. I'm not here (playing RPG's) for buttom mashing madness, I'm here to THINK. If I wanted mindless button mashing, that's what I have Dynasty wrriors for. (My wife loves that franchise, and I find it fun to play games with her.)

Dynasty Warriors is a great series.

Although since you have an Xbox have you checked out Kingdom Under Fire ? Which is part RTS/Part Dynasty Warriors hacking and part RPG.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Note that I will still at least rent and try a K3 without the D20 system, but if I don't like it it won't get bought. And I pre-ordered both KOTORs previously (the xbox copies that is.)

Wait a minute...

You had no problems pre-ordering a game when you had no idea how its combat would be, but now if they make any change whatsoever then suddenly you're skeptical :lol:

Hmmm, what did you like about the combat? I found it too easy, to slow, and not really entertaining.

Btw, I only OWN (read: did not rent and return) two CRPG's, that's the two KOTORs. So that should tell you difinitely how much I find the other RPG formats utterly annoying. I do not want real time. I'm not here (playing RPG's) for buttom mashing madness, I'm here to THINK. If I wanted mindless button mashing, that's what I have Dynasty wrriors for. (My wife loves that franchise, and I find it fun to play games with her.)

Dynasty Warriors is a great series.

Although since you have an Xbox have you checked out Kingdom Under Fire ? Which is part RTS/Part Dynasty Warriors hacking and part RPG.

Bleh. It lasted about an hour and forty-five.

Wait a minute...

You had no problems pre-ordering a game when you had no idea how its combat would be, but now if they make any change whatsoever then suddenly you're skeptical :huh:

Hmmm, what did you like about the combat?  I found it too easy, to slow, and not really entertaining.

I knew it was D20 turn based. The word was out on this already. Goof. They annouced it as a Star Wars RPG using the turn based D20 system from the PnP setup.

I liked the combat in that I could stop at any time and re-evaluate my plans, I liked that I (in the first game) could set the three party people to deal with differing aspects of the current predicament, (I would love to get the other two in my party to not automatically attack whomever I decide to in the current game) and I liked the level system. In a sense, because it was a system I already understood and had a fair amount of experience with, but because it was SOOO stat based, you could expect it to do things fairly consistently, and you could go into the feedback and learn things about how the system was performing. And yes this is off topic at this point, maybe we should have them separate this into a further discussion.

Edited by SSgtSniper

Pfff.

You say it like only D20 let's you play your character and thats just not true unless you, yourself, have never played anything else but D&D based RPGs. In that case, you need to open your mind to other things. :huh:

LOL Ast, I think its safe to say I have probably played as many (if not more) systems then yourself.

Everyone of those systems has faults but the system with the least amount of faults is the D20 system. Because it reflects your character skill level rather then your own dexterity! Dexterity is NOT skill, its just the ability to button mash ALOT!

There is a reason your character is refered to as an Avatar, its your character and skill base for that setting.

For example, I have a degenerative back disease (alot like Arthritis but in spine), my avatars do not! Mashing buttons for any extended period causes me physical pain, so why should my physical limitations, limit my avatar whose not aflicted by them?

For this very reason I stay away from FPSs and RTS games, but those game rely on YOUR dexterity, I prefer RPGs that allow me to work my mind and utilize a CHARACTERS skill base.

Role Playing is exactly that, your playing a DIFFERENT character/person not limited or enhanced by your own real world atributes. D20 system allows for this the best of all systems!

By the way, it's worth mentioning that I am a big time stat whore. I have a comp book full of stat lists for every character I ever made for both games.