No Fallout 3 at E3 2006

karka

Well, I'd suspect a good FO would be a subset of good RPGs.

The funny thing is, by saying we hope it's good so that we have another fun game to play in no way indicates that we think it will or will not be a success.

Gabs is just being confrontational for the sake of it. Unless she really would rather it not be a good game, which would be bizarre indeed. I never hope any game sucks, because if it's a good game, then I'll enjoy playing it.

Set in my ways and fanatical when it comes to some things. I'd rather see the Fallout series end with the second game just like I like to see Baldur's Gate end with it's second release. Too much time has passed, people who were associated wit hteh series will most likely not be on board with the new versions, just let it die.

There's very little indication that FO3 WON'T be financially successful. Bethesda has enough money that the game will probably have high production values, and enough clout that people will flock to it.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Everyone seems to judge Bethesda on one game.  Personally I remember and loved Daggerfall and Redguard.  Redguard was more of an action-adventure game, but it had a very tight story. 

As others have stated, Oblivion will tell us whether Bethesda has learned from Morrowind.  I don't see the need to be so negative about it.

The point is not that they make bad games, the point is that they make very un-fallout games. I personally don't like the type of game daggerfall was(the only bethesda game i've ever played). Maybe Bethesda can make a game in the spirit of fallout, but it seems unlikely to me because they would have to completely change their modus operandi.

Even though Morrowind was a financial success, the preliminary previews I have read on Oblivion all go to pains to explain the modus operandi of Bethesda's development cycle includes a significant chunk of result feedback, so the bits that weren't as popular in previous games have been changed signficantly in subsequent releases. (I haven't played FallOuts or Daggerfall, but apparently Morrowind improved on a lot of the fanbase complaints.) Similarly, Oblivion is set to build upon the existing strengths and remove glaring faults as they re-engineer their IP for the upcoming release.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Even though Morrowind was a financial success, the preliminary previews I have read on Oblivion all go to pains to explain the modus operandi of Bethesda's development cycle includes a significant chunk of result feedback, so the bits that weren't as popular in previous games have been changed signficantly in subsequent releases. (I haven't played FallOuts or Daggerfall, but apparently Morrowind improved on a lot of the fanbase complaints.) Similarly, Oblivion is set to build upon the existing strengths and remove glaring faults as they re-engineer their IP for the upcoming release.

Well the impression i have is that their dumbing it down like removing skill based to hit, but then again i don't really pay attention to oblivion. So they changed some things going from morrowind to oblivion, but they didn't really touch the basis of the game. It still has no dialog or strong story(Ok i can't reall know that) nor memorable characters, it still has a first person perspective and it's stil realtime without pause.

Maybe they will do fallout justice, but i'll believe that when i see it.

Qwb,

I will not set my hopes up for F3 but I am not going to condemn it before it's even released. We will see how it fairs though.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Well the impression i have is that their dumbing it down like removing skill based to hit, but then again i don't really pay attention to oblivion. So they changed some things going from morrowind to oblivion, but they didn't really touch the basis of the game. It still has no dialog or strong story(Ok i can't reall know that) nor memorable characters, it still has a first person perspective and  it's stil realtime without pause.

Qwb,

Do you mean that player skill or character skill has been removed in the "to hit factor"? Either way I think that's a positive thing though. If I am forced to physically connect with an attack, I don't want my skill invalidated by an incompetent character (and vice versa). Either use my skill, or my character's. Regardless, I definitely don't see going in either direction as dumbing down the game.

Also, Morrowind was definitely pausable. I don't remember how much you could do when it was paused, but I know the option was there.

I'm still not a fan of the series and I don't expect I will like Oblivion overly much, but at least they change enough things to warrant me giving it a fair shot.

Well the impression i have is that their dumbing it down like removing skill based to hit, but then again i don't really pay attention to oblivion. So they changed some things going from morrowind to oblivion, but they didn't really touch the basis of the game. It still has no dialog or strong story(Ok i can't reall know that) nor memorable characters, it still has a first person perspective and  it's stil realtime without pause.

Qwb,

Do you mean that player skill or character skill has been removed in the "to hit factor"? Either way I think that's a positive thing though. If I am forced to physically connect with an attack, I don't want my skill invalidated by an incompetent character (and vice versa). Either use my skill, or my character's. Regardless, I definitely don't see going in either direction as dumbing down the game.

Also, Morrowind was definitely pausable. I don't remember how much you could do when it was paused, but I know the option was there.

I'm still not a fan of the series and I don't expect I will like Oblivion overly much, but at least they change enough things to warrant me giving it a fair shot.

I don't know the details, as is said it was jus my impression. Anyway it was a move from character skill to player skill, wich for me is not a positive thing.

Most games are pausable, what I mean with "with pause" is that you can give orders while paused.

qwb,

Qwb,

I don't know the details, as is said it was jus my impression. Anyway it was a move from character skill to player skill, wich for me is not a positive thing.

Most games are pausable, what I mean with "with pause" is that you can give orders while paused.

qwb,

You mean like Baldur's Gate 1&2&expansions, NWN&expansions, KOTOR1&2, ToEE, IWD1&2&expansions?

What about Wizardry, Ultima Underworld, Lands of Lore 1, Might and Magic, Betrayl at Krondor, etc There are a lot of other RPGs that don't have the same design as all those D&D adaptations and that are just as good if not better.

I'm looking forward to Oblivion because it is a RPG, a big one, a good one(all signs point to YES) and those are very rare. It's a single player MMORPG? Maybe but it's a free MMORPG and mods will abound that will allow us to fix whatever we don't like about it, just like Morrowind and NWN.