No Fallout 3 at E3 2006

karka

Coming to a retailer near you: A six foot rabbit in Trench coat, Fedora hat, and fake Moustache, holding a copy of Fallout 3. Who wants to bet me?

And shepherds we shall be,

for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,

that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.

So we shall flow a river forth unto Thee,

and teeming with souls shall it ever be,

In Nomine Patris, et Fili, et Spiritus Sancti.

Well, since Hades knows so many things about Fallout that we don't, like the fact it WILL use First Person or that it is Morrowind with guns we might give him some credibility, no o:)

And I will repeat it once again if a company makes alot of Game X that doesn't mean they can't make game Y. If that was so new genres would have never existed

I mean ID was a prof. in making FPS when Wolfenstein came around, no? :)"

And Westwood was a prof. in RTS before Dune2 :lol:"

Not to mention said Westwood made RTS, Adventures, RPG's and all..., and most were good. How odd for a company mostly specified on C&C RTS...

That doesn't makes to much sense. If I buy a lincense of Game X why try to sell it to the audience that likes Y instead of the audience that likes that X?

Because the audience for Fallout while vocal, is tiny compared to the audience for Morrwind/Obivion etc.

So by keeping elements of Morrowind , like huge world, exploration etc you have more chance of keeping that audience happy. Some people of course won't cross the genre boundry. But most people will as long as the game is appealing.

You also have to factor in just how much things have moved on. If it were a year or two after FO II it would make sense to focus on a similiar model. Fallouts model is now very dated though.

The larger the potential sales base the less significant fallout fans become.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

But why buy a license then if you are only going to aim for your own targetgroup again?

Why not make an entirely new game so fans of the originals don't go dictating how what and what shouldn't be "Fallout"...

If somebody buys the Deus Ex license and make a DX game that is Doom-like FPS do you really think it will improve the market you can sell it to, even if it is ID-software for example?

But why buy a license then if you are only going to aim for your own targetgroup again?

Why not make an entirely new game so fans of the originals don't go dictating how what and what shouldn't be "Fallout"...

If somebody buys the Deus Ex license and make a DX game that is Doom-like FPS do you really think it will improve the market you can sell it to, even if it is ID-software for example?

You can use all that content as a springboard for your own ideas. Much like people use an established setting like the FR. If you havnt done a PA game before, it's a good place to start.

There is no rule that says you have to listen to what the "fans" say. Especially when they are being unreasonable.

Plus your talking about a small group of people who are like Hades, where as the majority are far more reasonable with respect to change.

It seems like a pretty good fit to me. Fallout was about exploration albiet in an abstract seperate map way.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

You mean this Ion Storm ?

-Titles list-

Yes.

Edit; even better, they made a sequel based upon a competitioners series (Thief/Looking glass) just before they wen't... hmmm...

Yes ? You know why they got shut down then. Because they had done everything EIDOS wanted from them and the key people had already left.

The same people were responsible for both versions of DX anyway. And IW didnt exactly bomb.

I would have thought the difference between Ion Storm and Bethesda was pretty clear.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0

478327[/snapback]

The latest Pirates! is from Bethesda and it is very different from what they're known for usually doing and it is a very good time waster, which is what video games are for.

I hope you mean Pirates of the Caribbean, not Pirates!...

Edit: Ok, Caribbean with a single 'r'

Edited by Gorth

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Bethesda only published Pirates of the Caribbean. It was actually developed by Akella. It was originally going to be Sea Dogs 2, of which I enjoyed the original, but with the movie coming out near the time of the game, they switched it over. Technically the game had little to do with the movie, but I hear it was a bit of a mess. Still, hard to blame Bethesda, as they didn't develop it. They might have made the movie license call though.

I meant Pirates! Not Pirates of the Caribbeans.

The game where you buy a little boat, then attack bigger boats, sell things to buy bigger boats, conquer big boats by weakening them with different ammo types, boarding them and fighting the captain using a rapier or a sabre and a couple of moves. Going ashore and walking around to find treasures and clues to your family history and so forth. I'm not sure if it was developped or published by, but Bethesda had something to do with it.

It's not Sea Dogs 2 either. It's something like Tortuga but better. it's rated like 9.5 on Gamespot, classified as Strategy/RPG. it was released 6 months ago, maybe a year.

Edited by astr0creep

Pirates! was developed by Firaxis and published (currently) by Atari (AFAIK). At least thats what my game says.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Firaxis also has a location here, in Maryland.  That, paired with the fact that both studios have a pirate game in one form or another could've lead to the confusion.

Bethesda is publishing the new Pirates of the Caribbean game, which is a vast improvement over the first.

It's still based on a movie... :lol:"

Well, since Hades knows so many things about Fallout that we don't, like the fact it WILL use First Person or that it is Morrowind with guns we might give him some credibility, no  :p

How very sweet. You presume something, put it in his mouth, then proceed to redicule him for it. I think he's quite capable of putting his foot in his mouth without you helping him...

And I will repeat it once again if a company makes alot of Game X that doesn't mean they can't make game Y. If that was so new genres would have never existed

I mean ID was a prof. in making FPS when Wolfenstein came around, no?  :lol:"

And Westwood was a prof. in RTS before Dune2  -_-"

Very bad examples. Those games were based on new concepts. How old are they? How many games based on new concepts have you seen in, say, the last three or four years?

The gaming industry being as repetitive in conceptual innovation as it has been for a while, that is an exceedingly fallacious argument.

Not to mention said Westwood made RTS, Adventures, RPG's and all..., and most were good. How odd for a company mostly specified on C&C RTS...

Again, it is unreasonable to compare the current situation to conditions of a time when there was far more room for innovation and originality than there is today. In case you haven't noticed, the gaming industry constantly changes - it's no longer the brain childs of a few dedicated fans working in a basement somewhere...

Edited by Jediphile

Firaxis also has a location here, in Maryland.  That, paired with the fact that both studios have a pirate game in one form or another could've lead to the confusion.

Bethesda is publishing the new Pirates of the Caribbean game, which is a vast improvement over the first.

It's still based on a movie... :p"

-_-

Sorry about being a nitpicker. I was just worried about you comparing my beloved Pirates! with that thing published by that other company... :lol:

It's still based on a movie... :-"

:lol:

Sorry about being a nitpicker. I was just worried about you comparing my beloved Pirates! with that thing published by that other company... :)

:)

Well this latest Pirates! is very good. Addictive to the extreme. Beautiful, fun, simple, educational(!).