PS3 costs Sony $800 ?

karka

I'm going to have to wait like two years before I buy another console.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

It is like, a six year old PC, and I don't have the cash to get a really good gaming rig. I don't like using a keyboard to play games either.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Nope. And now when I put CD's in it, it make weird buzzing sounds.

Yeah, I just kick it a few times and it stops.

Yeah, I just kick it a few times and it stops.

Hopefully your not a dog owner

I highly recommend a cat tho. Their "independent". <_<

I'm in a similar situation btw, PC on it's last legs, not in a position to drop a boat of cash to get a new one. My plan is to wait for Vista at the end of the year and then get one.

Mine makes funny noises too, but then that's because it spins so damn hard. 52x burner, takes a while for the bastard to spin up to speed too.

And shepherds we shall be,

for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,

that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.

So we shall flow a river forth unto Thee,

and teeming with souls shall it ever be,

In Nomine Patris, et Fili, et Spiritus Sancti.

Good Lord, pixies computer is older than he is.

Har, har, har.

That Blu-Ray issue has been resolved, so its one less obstacle for PS3's launch.

Actually I hope it comes out around october/november.

Revolution is supposed to be may/E3 I think dont really want them too close together.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Consoles are great value for money, no doubt about it.

It's much cheaper to buy one console for gaming and a cheap PC for everything else (email, chat, surfing, work etc.) than buying a top-of-the-line PC that matches the new consoles. You don't email better for those $2000 you just spent on a new super PC.

I do.

:Darque:

I will never get the console market.  Why make a product that will lose you money?  Makes no sense to me. 

Economics 101

Marketing: the concept of a loss leader.

One use of a loss leader is to draw customers into a store where they are likely to buy other goods. The vendor expects that the typical customer will purchase other items at the same time as the loss leader and that the profit made on these items will be such that an overall profit is generated for the vendor.

So, to apply this logic to the console: selling the delivery platform (console) at a loss provides the revenue stream that would otherwise not exist (sales of games).

Yes, but would it make more since to make a console with a low production value and have the extra material that people buy for it?  The method that the current market uses it seems to me that they take a huge unnecessary risk each time a next gen console is made.  to play.

That is the benefit of capitalist economics. Be sure that these companies wouldn't put out an expensively advanced console loss leader if they didn't have to fight tooth-and-nail for the same demographic. :)

Yes. Due to the low pricing people surely buy it and if they buy enough games the cost will be made back. You just prove it with this post mentioning you won't buy a console because you only wan't 1 or 2 games (Loss for MS/Sony/Nintendo if you bought their console), and because only people buy consoles who also wish to buy many games it equals out and atlast even starts to make profit!

You actually help MS/Sony and Nintendo gain cash by NOT buying a console for these 1 or 2 games...

:thumbsup:

Hey astro, "ASWD, space, Q & E, left & right mouse buttons, scroll wheel."

May as well be greek, especially if you don't have a scroll wheel. Which didn't exist at the first release of Halo PC, nor did I have one even until rather recently.

Halo? Who plays f**king Halo? :p

Two big ones I can think of.

1. Lack of games

2. Lack of willingness to patch every bloody game you buy

Being upgradable is a two edged sword. I know when I buy a console I'm getting 100% out of every game for the lifespan. Your probably looking at at least two graphic card upgrades with a PC over 5 years each of which will probably cost you the same as an entire console would.

1. More crap ≠ better choice.

2. Broadband is your friend.

Alan, I just don't have that kind of patience. When I put the thing in the tray, I want to be playing inside of ten minutes. Or I can live without it.

Apples and oranges. Some of us like to play different games, like TOMBS. :)

Come on Paladin....you could say that most of the console games are crap too.

Oh theres certainly a lot of crap out there regarldless of platform. Of course it's important to make a distinction between stuff you dont like and hence call crap. Or stuff that is actually crap because it's flawed, buggy or what have you. Since I'm not in the habbit of buying games I dont like anyway the former doesn't matter.

Since I've never had to patch any of the console games I've played where as PC games have frequently required patching I think I'm safe in saying the PC has way more of the latter.

Fallacy.

I buy more than a dozen games a year for my PC, I spend a not-inconsiderable amount of time playing them, and I have barely enough time to play all the games I buy as much as I want.

Just because there are more buggy games on the PC platform doesn't mean that more games that we buy and play are crap, as a total percentage, for the PC.

I own a lot of PS2 games and I've never come across a buggy one unless you count

Yes, I'm sure that the quality of games produced through a similar development cycle is significantly different on one platform to another. :shifty:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I have never really understood the "knock" that PC gaming gets because of patching.

If a game is a great game after patch...then it is a great game. The way some people are talking, they'd rather skip on a fantastic gaming experience than download a patch.

Call me stupid, but I'm not one to adamantly refuse a good game because there is a patch. Yes, it can be annoying when a game is released and there are issues. If it's patched though, I don't typically care.

Maybe it's just me :shifty:

Edited by alanschu

I have never really understood the "knock" that PC gaming gets because of patching.

If a game is a great game after patch...then it is a great game.  The way some people are talking, they'd rather skip on a fantastic gaming experience than download a patch.

Call me stupid, but I'm not one to adamantly refuse a good game because there is a patch.  Yes, it can be annoying when a game is released and there are issues.  If it's patched though, I don't typically care.

And patches are free. Which will never be the case with Console game patching if the internet service stays the same.

1. More crap ≠ better choice.

2. Broadband is your friend.

I buy more than a dozen games a year for my PC, I spend a not-inconsiderable amount of time playing them, and I have barely enough time to play all the games I buy as much as I want.

Just because there are more buggy games on the PC platform doesn't mean that more games that we buy and play are crap, as a total percentage, for the PC.

Yes, I'm sure that the quality of games produced through a similar development cycle is significantly different on one platform to another. :shifty:

Between the PS2, GC , Xbox I'm spoiled for choice.

I have broadband I just dont have the inclination to knowingly buy rubbish just so I can patch it to make it playable.

Wow a dozen games , guess I have more free time :cool:

By the latter definition it does since I can real off so many buggy PC games without a thought people have to look up most console game bugs.

But you just said there are more buggy games on the PC platform yourself anyway... :thumbsup::p

Dont forget the defintion of crap here which is a game that requires patching in order to be functional. Not a game that someone thinks is bad because they cant stand a particular type of game.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

If a game is a great game after patch...then it is a great game.  The way some people are talking, they'd rather skip on a fantastic gaming experience than download a patch.

Call me stupid, but I'm not one to adamantly refuse a good game because there is a patch.  Yes, it can be annoying when a game is released and there are issues.  If it's patched though, I don't typically care.

Heres why.

1. You may not get a patch.

2. You will probably have to wait for the patch if you buy the game the day of release.

3. You will have to download the patch and likely introduce even more bugs anyway even if the initial ones are fixed.

A great game is a great game, but there are not many great games that are.

A. Not cross platform.

B. Not a rehash of the previous game.

Civ was one I was very tempted to get. However once I saw it it was fundamentally like previous Civs. Improved most definately, but the core gameplay was something I've played already so no great loss to me at the end of the day.

I'd probably make an exception for NWN II but I'm bored of the whole realms thing. It really depends if it's quiet around the time of release or something.

478327[/snapback]

Dont forget the defintion of crap here which is a game that requires patching in order to be functional. Not a game that someone thinks is bad because they cant stand a particular type of game.

A pisspoor definition at that.

Heres why.

1. You may not get a patch.

2. You will probably have to wait for the patch if you buy the game the day of release.

3. You will have to download the patch and likely introduce even more bugs anyway even if the initial ones are fixed.

1 & 2) Buying a knowingly fatal buggy game, hoping for a patch was never in discussion here. We're talking about a patch already released.

3) "Likely" introduce? I think you're just looking for a reason to knock it with this one. Yes it's possible.....but given my experiences with patching, not common.

A great game is a great game, but there are not many great games that are.

A. Not cross platform.

B. Not a rehash of the previous game.

How would you know, given you don't want to buy games that have a patch out.

A pisspoor definition at that.

1 & 2) Buying a knowingly fatal buggy game, hoping for a patch was never in discussion here.  We're talking about a patch already released.

3) "Likely" introduce?  I think you're just looking for a reason to knock it with this one.  Yes it's possible.....but given my experiences with patching, not common.

How would you know, given you don't want to buy games that have a patch out.

I think crap is a great definition for something that dosnt work.

Really ? Thats news to me I thought you were talking about PC games. Of course if you want to wait a couple of weeks to play them just so you can be sure there is a patch go right ahead.

More common than you would like to admit I expect.

How would I know if something was cross platform ? Oh I dont know maybe check the supplier list.

Well back to Civ. It was quite clear Civ was going to have a lot in common with previous Civs. As I said there are changes, but fundamentally it's not that different.

Remember I'm the consumer I have no obligation to buy anything. If they want my money then they had better start making less buggy games which work out of the box like console games do.

478327[/snapback]