Diablo 3 rumours.

kirottu

Any system that adheres adamantly to strict guidelines in order to determine the value of something, without compromise, is equally as laughable.

Categorization in and of itself tends to be weak and misrepresenting. Fair enough, you can "rate" stuff with certain genre archetypes, but the situation becomes moot when genres evolve, or when (as is the current case) games no longer cleanly fall into a genre. For instance, playing through Deus Ex rating it as an RPG, or as an FPS, will likely result in a poor rating for both, despite the fact that it's an excellent game. When you adhere to your categorization as strictly as you do, then it is taking up too much of your focus. Just play a game for what it is, rather than worrying about what type of category it is in. Because it seems as though that dominates your entire experience of the game.

In the end, why does it really matter if a game rates particularly well as a CRPG, if it is still a good game (in that it provides excellent entertainment)?

The thing is for a game to be good and entertaining for me it must have a fair share of elements that is often only found in CRPGs. I look for character development, story progression, challenge level, environment interactivity, combat, and so on.

I don't just play a game for what it is because if it doesn't have what I am looking for I just don't see it as entertaining. Diablo is a boring game. It will always be a boring game for me.

Edited by Judge Hades

The thing is for a game to be good and entertaining for me it must have  a fair share of elements that is often only found in CRPGs.

There is a difference between saying "I don't like Diablo because that's not the type of game I like" and

It didn't have any depth to it at all.

or
A CRPG is a CRPG is a CRPG and I judge all CRPGs on the same criteria.

You are just plain dodging. :thumbsup:

Deus Ex is a FPS/CRPG hybrid.  I am planning to replay the game and reassest by judgement of that game using my CRPG standards and not my FPS standards.

Majesty I have never played.

GTA I would catagorized as an action game.

GTA as Action game eh... what about the racing, Third person shooting, adventuring, RPG-parts (SA only), flying game etc?

Deus Ex as FPS/CRPG... and for some reason FPS takes the upper hand here... then why does with Diablo (Action/RPG) the RPG takes the upperhand for you, while it absolutely does not?

I do think it would kickarse.

I would repeat; play DS2

According to Judge Hades so far 0 CRPG's have been released since the birth of the videogame  :thumbsup:"
That is completely wrong.

You said so... by claiming that CRPG's can have enemies with AI that surrounds and use strategy and such...

Edited by BattleCookiee

Did they actually improve Dungeon Siege 2 from DS1? DS1 was in many cases worse than Diablo and I found it just as boring.

I count GTA as an action game because it does have a lot of action in it. You shoot, you drive, you pilot, and so forth and so on. Frankly GTA is the standard I use when I play an action game.

As for DX I am going to reevaluate it as a CRPG and see how it will stack. As for intelligent enemies CRPGs should have intelligent enemies, but that is an ongoing thing. In some cases CRPGs have evolved while in some cases not since the older games.

Deus Ex is a FPS/CRPG hybrid.  I am planning to replay the game and reassest by judgement of that game using my CRPG standards and not my FPS standards.

Majesty I have never played.

GTA I would catagorized as an action game.

GTA as Action game eh... what about the racing, Third person shooting, adventuring, RPG-parts (SA only), flying game etc?

Deus Ex as FPS/CRPG... and for some reason FPS takes the upper hand here... then why does with Diablo (Action/RPG) the RPG takes the upperhand for you, while it absolutely does not?

I do think it would kickarse.

I would repeat; play DS2

According to Judge Hades so far 0 CRPG's have been released since the birth of the videogame  :thumbsup:"
That is completely wrong.

You said so... by claiming that CRPG's can have enemies with AI that surrounds and use strategy and such...

I believe he said "AI that swarms", not surrounds and use strategy.

In any case, high numbers can be very challenging (twitchfest) and only with a proper character build (RPG) can one get past those stupid sewers in D2 filled with respawning mummies (Action).

Did they actually improve Dungeon Siege 2 from DS1?  DS1 was in many cases worse than Diablo and I found it just as boring.

They have the build you wanted, the party you wanted and the higher (not near PS:T, but far better than DS/D2) interaction with the crowd and such. But for some reason I think even with your "now it will be uber"fixes you still hate the game :-"

I count GTA as an action game because it does have a lot of action in it.  You shoot, you drive, you pilot, and so forth and so on.  Frankly GTA is the standard I use when I play an action game.

So that would make it a Driving/3rdPFP/Flying/action game, no? And why qualify games in genres if you can't. SA has RPG-ELEMENTS. Does that make it an RPG, nope... does it make it a RPG-hybrid; yes!

As for DX I am going to reevaluate it as a CRPG and see how it will stack.  As for intelligent enemies CRPGs should have intelligent enemies, but that is an ongoing thing.  In some cases CRPGs have evolved while in some cases not since the older games.

:blink: Can't you just evaluate it as "game DX-genre" instead of "rate as FPS" or "rate as RPG"? Lol, it would score higher on the "rate as adventure" ;)...

And call ONE RPG where the enemies do not try to swarm and kill you... good luck; you'll need it!

In any case, high numbers can be very challenging (twitchfest) and only with a proper character build (RPG) can one get past those stupid sewers in D2 filled with respawning mummies (Action).

Indeed. And "swarming" is the strategy in games like Diablo, Baldur's Gate, NWN, Kotor, PS:T, Fallout etc... only the ranged enemies do different (swarm and then stand still to fight)

So why can you say "Diablo enemies shouldn't swarm" while it is accepted in all the other RPG?

Did they actually improve Dungeon Siege 2 from DS1?  DS1 was in many cases worse than Diablo and I found it just as boring.

They have the build you wanted, the party you wanted and the higher (not near PS:T, but far better than DS/D2) interaction with the crowd and such. But for some reason I think even with your "now it will be uber"fixes you still hate the game :-"

I count GTA as an action game because it does have a lot of action in it.  You shoot, you drive, you pilot, and so forth and so on.  Frankly GTA is the standard I use when I play an action game.

So that would make it a Driving/3rdPFP/Flying/action game, no? And why qualify games in genres if you can't. SA has RPG-ELEMENTS. Does that make it an RPG, nope... does it make it a RPG-hybrid; yes!

As for DX I am going to reevaluate it as a CRPG and see how it will stack.  As for intelligent enemies CRPGs should have intelligent enemies, but that is an ongoing thing.  In some cases CRPGs have evolved while in some cases not since the older games.

:blink: Can't you just evaluate it as "game DX-genre" instead of "rate as FPS" or "rate as RPG"? Lol, it would score higher on the "rate as adventure" ;)...

And call ONE RPG where the enemies do not try to swarm and kill you... good luck; you'll need it!

Indeed. And "swarming" is the strategy in games like Diablo, Baldur's Gate, NWN, Kotor, PS:T, Fallout etc... only the ranged enemies do different (swarm and then stand still to fight)

So why can you say "Diablo enemies shouldn't swarm" while it is accepted in all the other RPG?

Cuz they swarm in real time? And real-time(according to Hades) has no place in CRPGs?

You know, I really don't care. If the game is fun (i.e. FUN) and it hooks me within 30 minutes of gaming, I'll play it all the way through. D1 & D2 did that for me and hopefully D3 will do the same.

What's interesting, from a game designer's point of view is "What makes it fun?" which, ultimately, is different for everyone.

Why are you so concerned with how I classify games anyway, BC?  I am just one insignificant nutcase who no one listens to.  My opinions are as worthless as cow dung for most people.

Actually Hades, cow dung is useful. Some people make electricity with cow dung. I dung you not!

And your opinions do matter. You are obviously not a n00b when it comes to RPGs and when you have something to say about Fallout I read carefully and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

Besides, this place wouldn't be as much fun without you! :D

Edited by astr0creep

Well, from my experience with the newer IE games and such the meleers move in while he range attackers pick off the the spellcasters. Also in NWN, in the later expansions, enemies use Disarm, Knockdown, and the such on stronger opponents while range attackers focus on dropping the weaker ones.

GTA's focus is on action. Everything in that game is Action based. From driving, to flying, to shooting, and so forth.

The first Dungeon Siege was awful. I suspect that the many cases where you found it worse than Diablo were precisely the ones you were criticizing earlier on, such as character development and lack of any worthwhile strategies to the combat, even with multiple party members.

Well, in NWN HotU I had 3 party members.  Deekin, the Drow Chick, and my character.  Deekin always seems to die first.

Deekin's buffs saved my butt a few times.

Hey, maybe they're making a Diablo-esque game in the Starcraft universe?

I want Deekin, Jan Jansen, and Caspenar in my party in NWN2 :D

....we'll have LOTS of fun then :thumbsup:

IB1OsQq.png