What is your favorite music?

Lancer

I would actually say that pop music is thriving also. When I say "pop", I also include "light-rock". Rap and R&B are popular, but it seems like you [Pope] formed all of your opinions off of MTV or something.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I would actually say that pop music is thriving also.  When I say "pop", I also include "light-rock".  Rap and R&B are popular, but it seems like you [Pope] formed all of your opinions off of MTV or something.

No he didn't...I can say for a fact that the majority of people at my school buzz off "black music".

Ops...did I say BLACK music?!

3d58edf5.gif

:D that never gets old...

I mentioned rock. And even I, as a European, know that it definitely isn't the biggest scene in the US.

Then you are definitely wrong.

But it probably is the only one that can still stand its own against all that black music. And please don't go calling me a racist now, it's just a term I use to describe hiphop and R&B.

"Black" music? LOL. There are no whites, hispanics or asians that listen to so-called "black music?" There are no white rap artists (i.e Eminem)?

Would anyone feel comfortable calling rock, "white music?" Or country, "redneck" music? These aren't racist comments? LOL

Rap/Hip Hop is just a musical style. It has no color.

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

I know a lot of people listen to Rap. What I am saying is that he was acting like it was the only music that America listens to.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I know a lot of people listen to Rap.  What I am saying is that he was acting like it was the only music that America listens to.

I know tons of people who listen to rap too. But those that say it is the dominant scene in America are talking out of their rear. Rock in all its variations, country, electronic, and the growing lating scenes all have huge followings in the US.

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

If rock&roll used to be called black music, than hiphop most definitely is black music.

I know a lot of people listen to Rap.  What I am saying is that he was acting like it was the only music that America listens to.

It isn't?

NEWSFLASH!!!

No it isn't

image002.gifLancer

Also, a lot of people that listen to rap, also listen to rock and stuff to. It is really just whatever they hear on the radio. It isn't so much America's fault that it is what we listen to so much, it is also partially the radio station and record companies for making it hard for the average person who doesn't have a passion for music to get into contact with other types of music.

If rock&roll used to be called black music, than hiphop most definitely is black music.

It isn't?

NEWSFLASH!!!

No it isn't

Yes, it's true...

some people don't lition to rap...

I'm one of them...

Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Also, a lot of people that listen to rap, also listen to rock and stuff to.  It is really just whatever they hear on the radio.  It isn't so much America's fault that it is what we listen to so much, it is also partially the radio station and record companies for making it hard for the average person who doesn't have a passion for music to get into contact with other types of music.

That is not quite true. I don't know where you live, but I can turn on the radio and have access to rap, r&b, rock, classical, country, latin, ...etc nearly at all hours of the day.

The average person has access to all sorts of music on the radio. It is just a matter of what he/she grew up with and what his/her preferences are.

image002.gifLancer

Also, a lot of people that listen to rap, also listen to rock and stuff to.  It is really just whatever they hear on the radio.  It isn't so much America's fault that it is what we listen to so much, it is also partially the radio station and record companies for making it hard for the average person who doesn't have a passion for music to get into contact with other types of music.

That is not quite true. I don't know where you live, but I can turn on the radio and have access to rap, r&b, rock, classical, country, latin, ...etc nearly at all hours of the day.

The average person has access to all sorts of music on the radio. It is just a matter of what he/she grew up with and what his/her preferences are.

Thats true, I'm really just going by what I know being up here in Detroit Michigan. I get like, two classical stations, and one Jazz/Blues station. The rest are like rock or Rap. I know that when I leave this area though, I hear a lot of Country on the radio.

Thats true, I'm really just going by what I know being up here in Detroit Michigan.  I get like, two classical stations, and one Jazz/Blues station.  The rest are like rock or Rap.  I know that when I leave this area though, I hear a lot of Country on the radio.

Well.. urban areas like Detroit are a different ballgame(like Atlanta).. There are a large number of minorities there that tend to prefer rap music. Musical tastes tend to vary quite a bit across different regions of the country. In the deep south, for instance, country is extremely popular.. Whereas if you go to a place like Orlando or NYC you hear just about everything.. In Miami, you will probably hear merengue, salsa and reggaeton more than anything else...and so forth...

People like Pope need to actually visit the United States and stay here for a few months visiting various locales before making broad and unfounded over-generalizations about our musical diversity.

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

Yeah, but I'm just a suburban white boy. I don't actually live in Detroit, but like 40 minutes or so away.

Edited by thepixiesrock

I'm a rock person. More specifically, the "classic" rock variety, with artists like Metallica, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Aerosmith, etc. I'm not as much into the modern rock as I once was.

But in all reality, I can listen to practically anything, rock, classical music, etc., except for most rap, death metal, and gay pop/disco. :lol:

I'm a rock person.  More specifically, the "classic" rock variety, with artists like Metallica, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Aerosmith, etc.  I'm not as much into the modern rock as I once was. 

But in all reality, I can listen to practically anything, rock, classical music, etc., except for most rap, death metal, and gay pop/disco.  :lol:

What's funny is that most of my geologist colleagues are predominantly into "classic rock." I feel like the ony rap-loving cityslicker in my department. On every field trip all I hear is stuff like Yes, Santana, and Led Zepellin. And this was true in both geology departments I was a student of.

image002.gifLancer

My favorite would be Indie rock, examples, flaming lips. Sufjan Stevens, Spoon, Theivery Corp, Lali Puna, Blonde Redhead,

A close second would be eccentric Intrumental types, even if a little sampling is mixed in. Dijf Sanders, Sigur Ros, Air, and other very random artists and selected tracks.

These groups are a few of my current listening playlists, I have a pretty big library, and a huge variety to choose from, I always like to listen to new music, i listen to anything from blue grass to techno. My main influences on music are NationalPublicRadio and Itunes:IMix feature where its easy to find new music for my taste.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

I'm a rock person.  More specifically, the "classic" rock variety, with artists like Metallica, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Aerosmith, etc.  I'm not as much into the modern rock as I once was. 

But in all reality, I can listen to practically anything, rock, classical music, etc., except for most rap, death metal, and gay pop/disco.  :)

What's funny is that most of my geologist colleagues are predominantly into "classic rock." I feel like the ony rap-loving cityslicker in my department. On every field trip all I hear is stuff like Yes, Santana, and Led Zepellin. And this was true in both geology departments I was a student of.

;) rock heads