next-gen console action RPG by Liquid Ent.

funcroc

Consoles aren't sold with keyboards.

Now, you are just being silly.

They can be made adaptable to them. And how much does a keyboard cost like 20 bucks? lol

Here is a link for our skeptical friend.

You're the one being silly. Nartwark's point that console's don't come with CDs is a very valid one.

Especially seeing as that $20 price tag suddenly makes an $80 game a $100 game.

Besides, you should be happy....the Pirates! remake made it on to the XBOX.

Huh? Who is talking about CDs here. You mean keyboards? Sorry but $20 for a keyboard is chump change for all the games you want on a console.

Whoops, I meant keyboard.

Chump change? In your opinion perhaps. This argument doesn't fly with the DVD argument, and it won't fly for keyboards either. There has to be a large variety of games to effectively take advantage of it before it will become a popular purchasing decision.

Deus Ex was definitely a fun title. I am looking forward to playing its spiritual predecessor , System Shock 2, in a few weeks :)

SS2 came first ;)

Umm... That is what predecessor means... :)

Yeah, my reading skills were off. Spiritual is often followed by successor, so while quickly reading it over that's how I read it.

They can be made adaptable to them. And how much does a keyboard cost like 20 bucks? lol

You're the one being silly. Nartwark's point that console's don't come with CDs is a very valid one.

Huh? Who is talking about CDs here. You mean keyboards? Sorry but $20 for a keyboard is chump change for all the games you want on a console.

Chump change? In your opinion perhaps. This argument doesn't fly with the DVD argument, and it won't fly for keyboards either. There has to be a large variety of games to effectively take advantage of it before it will become a popular purchasing decision.

The point isn't that the cost is notional.

The point (you were right, Nartwak) is that it is not assumed for the developers. It is not part of the default control system.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The point (you were right, Nartwak) is that it is not assumed for the developers. It is not part of the default control system.

So you are assuming it will *never* ever be part of the default control system or at least a feasible alternate in the not too distant future?

If there is need for it (meaning a lot of occidental RPGs on consoles some time down the line), they will find a way to make it part of the default control system.

I agree that as of this moment the need isn't great (occidental RPGs aren't exactly popular on consoles yet) but that is not to say that things won't change in the near future as more and more PC developers go to consoles and the market for such games expands....

The fact that you can get USB keyboards for current consoles is just a sign of things to come...Unless of course people stop whining about having to use a controller....

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

Well, the thing I was trying to relate in with the cost is that it's tough to assume that someone is willing to buy the keyboard just to play your game. As you said, because it's not standard, developers can't assume it's there. If they do, they're likely limiting their market.

Well, the thing I was trying to relate in with the cost is that it's tough to assume that someone is willing to buy the keyboard just to play your game. As you said, because it's not standard, developers can't assume it's there. If they do, they're likely limiting their market.

Who said anything about using the keyboard to play just a *single* game? If (When, let's be optimistic) the occidental RPG becomes a sizeable market on consoles, and people just can't use a controller because of "interface" issues, the keyboard "problem" would have to be addressed.

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

With as many buttons there are on a console I don't think that a keyboard is necessary to make a PC styled CRPG.

I personally agree.. I just don't know how many people like Nartwak there are that would whine about "interface" issues due to the lack of a keyboard. It is possible that they would be a small minority.. who knows?

I personally would have no problem playing an occidental RPG with a controller, unfortunately for others it would be. Just don't know how many of those "others" there are and whether or not the numbers would be significant enough to justify making said RPGs compatible with keyboards.

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

I thought the whole point of the whole consoles-don't-come-with-keyboards-argument was that playing console games with mouse and keyboard would seriously detract from the experience and won't even be possible for many setups.

I do not want to have a mouse and keyboard when sitting on my coach with only a coffee table in front. Or when sitting in a couch-chair with no table at all in front of me.

In the case of RPGs it's probably the mouse-functionality that is missed the most rather than a lot of buttons on a keyboard (I don't think I use more buttons in any RPG than there are on the average gamepad). So the revolution controller is going to be very interesting indeed.

In the case of RPGs it's probably the mouse-functionality that is missed the most rather than a lot of buttons on a keyboard (I don't think I use more buttons in any RPG than there are on the average gamepad). So the revolution controller is going to be very interesting indeed.

This may be so.. Whatever that revolution controller/keyboard or what not will be interesting indeed.

image002.gifLancer

****ing moron. Do me a favor and gas yourself.

Protip: Amonia + Bleach.

I wouldn't give you the pleasure. But you could try that on yourself.

Now you do sound like you are whining. Keep it up, you are doing wonderful.

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

There are enough action/RPGs or Hack & Slash RPGs. Give us First-Person Shooter/RPG Hybrids like Morrowind but much more focused and varied.

There are more than enough action RPGs. And more importantly if their purpose is to be successful on the market to generate enough funds for the creation of more "profound" RPGs, they are not doing a good job.

image002.gifLancer

You are suggesting Obsidian, Bioware or whomever to create only action RPGs on consoles which would give them the established funds required for their less mainstream projects (i.e original IPs, or "real" RPGs)on the PC?

In fact, the suggested attitude was to develop action RPGs parallel to computer roleplaying games, with the first type of game being viable as a financing for the second type.

So, no, I didn't suggest a company should exclusively develop action RPGs for console platforms.

Who said anything about using the keyboard to play just a *single* game? If (When, let's be optimistic) the occidental RPG becomes a sizeable market on consoles, and people just can't use a controller because of "interface" issues,  the keyboard "problem" would have to be addressed.

Unless people are buying multiple games when they purchase this keyboard, the initial cost is applied just to the single game. You're being too optimistic if you think people will immediately feel that their investement in the keyboard will open up many new games.

And I mean, optimism makes everything sound easy. With a bit of optimism, games are never released with bugs, and are always wonderful and fun. If you do need a keyboard for interface, the only way Western RPGs are becoming a sizeable market is if the consoles start shipping with keyboards (or some other input that addresses the interface).

Unless people are buying multiple games when they purchase this keyboard, the initial cost is applied just to the single game.  You're being too optimistic if you think people will immediately feel that their investement in the keyboard will open up many new games.

I never said this. I said if the occidental RPG market somehow becomes a significantly large market on consoles, they (the developers) would have to address the keyboard/interface/controller issue if sufficient fans complain that the controller provided isn't viable.

If you do need a keyboard for interface, the only way Western RPGs are becoming a sizeable market is if the consoles start shipping with keyboards (or some other input that addresses the interface).

I don't know about that. You need to start by getting the console players interested in PC-style RPGS first before worrying about revolutionary keyboards and such. Just because you redesign a controller to become friendly to PC-style RPGs, doesn't mean that all of a sudden console players will be playing these RPGs. When the market expands to the point that hardware considerations become an issue, then worry about them then.

What you are talking about here is more of a "preference" issue than an interface issue. We need to attack their psyche first, before worrying about the hardware.

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

So, no, I didn't suggest a company should exclusively develop action RPGs for console platforms.

Besides "action RPGs" (and big brand names like Star Wars), what other "mainstream" RPG genres would interest console aficionados to the point where enough funds would be generated from them alone to allow creation of profound RPGs and IPs?

image002.gifLancer

Besides "action RPGs" (and big brand names like Star Wars),  what other "mainstream" RPG genres would interest console aficionados to the point where enough funds would be generated from them alone to allow creation of profound RPGs and IPs?

Maybe you should ask them since I'm not a console aficionado to begin with. Also, the previous point was about discussing how (successful) action RPGs were a viable means of financing the development of other games, in particular intellectual properties and/or computer RPGs. If there are equally successful RPG subgenres, or non-RPG genres that would provide for the same financial success and long term stability, you can easilly replace the term "action RPG" with the appropriate term. It isn't about action RPGs themselves but rather commercially successful titles. Console action RPGs seem to fit the bill so I assume that's why they were a mainstay of the conversation.

In answer to my own posed question:

Perhaps some sort of squad-based strategy-RPG hybrid might interest console gamers. Maybe something like this done correctly would generate sufficient revenue to allow creation of other types of occidental RPGs.

I would certainly favor that over another trite action RPG.

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

Maybe you should ask them since I'm not a console aficionado to begin with.

That's what i thought but talk is cheap.

It was *your* idea. You favored the concept so much it just seemed you had something in particular in mind. Apparently not,

Console action RPGs seem to fit the bill so I assume that's why they were a mainstay of the conversation.

And how have console action RPGs been particularly successful thus far? Has there been any console action RPG that has out-sold KotOR?

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer