MMORPGs

Krookie

I would say Sony is the uncommon designer, with their 6 month expansions.  No other MMORPG does that.

1. Sony is a producer, not a developer

2. Sony has MANY, MANY MMORPG's, if this is the only one who does it and the 2000 other Sony MMORPG's do not, there might have be some dev. influence?

Sony has done this with Everquest, EQ2, and SW: Galaxies. They actually released an expansion the day before they completely changed Galaxies. I guess we could blame Verant, but I have a feeling it's the publishers pushing these expansions out like hotcakes.

I don't really know of any other Sony mmorpg's other than those three and Planetside. I think Planetside wasn't bothered with because it never reached the success they hoped for. Galaxies was a massive failure, too, but people seemed to buy it. I admit it, I actually bought it for $20, but I'm ashamed of that. I was going through some bad DT's after I finished KotOR the first time and thought I could get my Star wars fix from it.

So Sony = Greed.

My question really wasn't answered.

Is World of Warcraft so graphicaly (sp?) advanced that I wont be able to run it?

I looked back at your posts and I didn't see where you specified which type of system you were going to run WoW on? I wouldn't run it on anything less than a 2ghz system with 1gb RAM and a nvidia 6600 video card otherwise it's gonna be choppy and not enjoyable even with all the settings set to min.. Going through Ironforge alone would lock your PC up if your system couldn't handle it.

Nothing like a little hyperbole to start the day off.

And places like Ironforge are less annoying now, because it's not the only place with an auction house.

:lol: Ok.

Ironforge is still a problem even with the auction houses in Darnassus and Stormwind.

I'm not saying the game won't run unless you have those specs just don't expect anything above 25 fps and about 10 in Ironforge.

I still disagree. While my roommate does have a 2 GHz P4, he only has 512 MB of RAM and an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro. If he turns down details, it still runs pretty good. The biggest thing about the Ironforge areas though is RAM, as a friend of ours has the exact same computer, but 1 GB of RAM and gets much better performance in the high popluation areas. I can play the game at very high details, though I do have an Athlon64 3500+ (2.2 GHz I think) and 1 GB of RAM. I only have a Radeon 9800 Pro though. I don't think the game is too demanding video wise.

My question really wasn't answered.

Is World of Warcraft so graphicaly (sp?) advanced that I wont be able to run it?

I looked back at your posts and I didn't see where you specified which type of system you were going to run WoW on? I wouldn't run it on anything less than a 2ghz system with 1gb RAM and a nvidia 6600 video card otherwise it's gonna be choppy and not enjoyable even with all the settings set to min.. Going through Ironforge alone would lock your PC up if your system couldn't handle it.

Nothing like a little hyperbole to start the day off.

And places like Ironforge are less annoying now, because it's not the only place with an auction house.

:lol: Ok.

Ironforge is still a problem even with the auction houses in Darnassus and Stormwind.

I'm not saying the game won't run unless you have those specs just don't expect anything above 25 fps and about 10 in Ironforge.

I still disagree. While my roommate does have a 2 GHz P4, he only has 512 MB of RAM and an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro. If he turns down details, it still runs pretty good. The biggest thing about the Ironforge areas though is RAM, as a friend of ours has the exact same computer, but 1 GB of RAM and gets much better performance in the high popluation areas. I can play the game at very high details, though I do have an Athlon64 3500+ (2.2 GHz I think) and 1 GB of RAM. I only have a Radeon 9800 Pro though. I don't think the game is too demanding video wise.

Well I was talking nVidia not ATI but a 9800 should be fine with WoW, it's the memory and the cpu that are critical, imo. My Brother has an Athlon XP2400, 512mb ram, and a nvidia 5900xt and the game runs choppy with all the settings set to minimum. The highest his fps hits is in the low 20's and it's below 10 going through Ironforge.

I still think at minimum you should have a 2ghz cpu, 1gb of ram and decent video card in order to run the game smoothly. You don't need a 256mb video card but I wouldn't go any less than a nVidia 6000 series or an ATI 9600 card.

My system is average, with perhaps the exception of 1 gig of memory (though that's becoming standard now). The memory makes all the difference. WoW never lagged for me.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

I agree with Moose. It seems to be all about the memory with respect to people I have seen play the game.

I don't see the point of DnD Online with NWN 2 coming out. Hell, I don't see a point to DnD Online with NWN 1 out. Why pay for DnD online when you get pretty much the same game or free?

You don't get anywhere close to the same game.

Edited by alanschu

I don't see the point of DnD Online with NWN 2 coming out.  Hell, I don't see a point to DnD Online with NWN 1 out.  Why pay for DnD online when you get pretty much the same game or free?

That was exactly my point in a reply I made earlier. With NWN you may not have the pretty graphics D&D Online has but you get everything else D&D Online offers and more, plus you get to level your characters beyond 10! :)

I don't see the point of DnD Online with NWN 2 coming out.  Hell, I don't see a point to DnD Online with NWN 1 out.  Why pay for DnD online when you get pretty much the same game or free?

You will have to pay for playing D&D Online? What a rip off. I'll stick with NWN.

Yah and while they're 2 different games, story wise, it's still the same concept. So why doesn't Bioware charge people a monthly fee to play NWN? :)

I agree with Moose.  It seems to be all about the memory with respect to people I have seen play the game.

Grab yourself an AMD XP 2400 and use it with that 1gb of RAM and let me know how good the game runs.

I agree with Moose.  It seems to be all about the memory with respect to people I have seen play the game.

I don't see the point of DnD Online with NWN 2 coming out. Hell, I don't see a point to DnD Online with NWN 1 out. Why pay for DnD online when you get pretty much the same game or free?

You don't get anywhere close to the same game.

Yeah, only NWN is my kind of game and DDO isn't remotely close.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

You will have to pay for playing D&D Online? What a rip off. I'll stick with NWN.

Yah and while they're 2 different games, story wise, it's still the same concept. So why doesn't Bioware charge people a monthly fee to play NWN? ;)

Bioware is cool that it doen't charge you to play online. They only charge you to get their mods. :)

Bioware didn't create a massively populated world, with free content additions.

I'm willing to bet that they will both have quite different playing experiences.

In D&D Online you earn xp from completing quests, that you do with other gamers. You have a character which advances in levels(to 10), has skills and learns new feats.

In NWN you earn xp from completing quests, that you can do with other gamers if you want to. You have a character which advances in levels(up to 40 with the expansions), has skills and learns new feats.

Am I missing something here? I guess maybe a city where everyone gathers to chat before going out on quests?

Isn't SOE (Sony Online Entertainment) the developer (and publisher) of Everquest?  According to IGN they are.

So they are both the producer and the developer.

And they are horrible developers. Just look at the system requirements of that engine that IMHO looks like glittering crap, except at the highest quality settings which they claim to have designed keeping "future hardware" in mind. Ridiculous! They write bad code and accuse the customer of having crappy hardware. To add insult to injury, the artwork is a slap on the face of anyone with even a mild sense of art and aesthetics.

(My comments are somewhat influenced by my intense hatred for Sony, so keep that table salt handy. If you even care.)

On Topic: Guild Wars FTW. It's not an MMO (as Nick pointed out) and it's not much of an RPG either, but it's a hell of a fun game. If you want a real MMORPG, I guess WoW is the way to go, 1 billion people can't be wrong :ph34r:. I did try out a 10-day WoW account, and the game really sucked me in... Not. (Kill 10 Kobold Vermin -> Kill 10 Kobold Workers -> Kill 10 Kobold Laborers -> Get 7 Wolf Fangs -> Get 10 candles -> Delete Account.)

Erm, isn't that IGN?

Hmmm, it is part of the IGN network. But I know Bioware posts announcements about NWVault being updated and all that fun stuff.

Also, I've heard (from a Bioware employee) that the building they work in is one of the largest bandwidth pipes in the city to support NWVault.

I have played plenty of mods for NWN.

You say they only charge mods that have new commerical resource put into them? What free mods have they released outside of Witcher's Wake (which didn't get finished the last time I checked).

As for me, DnD is DnD is DnD.

Clearly it's not like that for you. It's obvious that you have not even looked into D&D Online if you were to make this claim.

If you did, you would be chastizing D&D Online for a completely different reason than what you are saying.