MMORPGs

Krookie

I'm pretty sure the economics of running a MMORPG have been argued ad nauseum. I'm amazed that people still bring that up. Games are a business. The monthly fee is extremely necessary. Blizzard might not really need it, since they've sold a billion copies, but an average MMORPG has to pay for servers and staff every month in order to keep the world going. Get over the monthly fee, it's not going anywhere.

$12~15 is a standard fee for MMORPGs.

I played WoW for my full 30day trial afterwards, I could not bring myself to touch the game again.  It's just too easy.

Everything comes to quickly, levels, weapons, money, craftings...  It's all a joke.

Coming from were I did (FFXI) I expected to be challenged by WoW, I found nothing remotely challenging.  It's all desings to give the players instant rewards and gratification.  If you can enjoy that, then WoW just might be for you.

For someone that doesn't have 24/7 to invest in an MMO, WoW is perfect for me. It's nice to be a "casual" gamer and still be able to play an MMO with friends.

I'm pretty sure the economics of running a MMORPG have been argued ad nauseum.  I'm amazed that people still bring that up.  Games are a business.  The monthly fee is extremely necessary.  Blizzard might not really need it, since they've sold a billion copies, but an average MMORPG has to pay for servers and staff every month in order to keep the world going.  Get over the monthly fee, it's not going anywhere.

Meh, it wasn't that bad if it just stayed with $10,- each months, but now you ALSO have to buy expension packs every 3 months or so, and small "Boosterpacks". They even wan't to bring this Boosterpack-bull to other games not MMO, like BF2. We are all doomed ;)

I'm thinking about picking up Duneons and Dragons online.

You should just pick up a copy of NWN and save yourself the monthly fee. The game consists of questing, questing and more questing. There's no PvP, no Crafting, just questing, which is not enough for them to stamp an MMO label on it and charge people a monthly fee, at least in my opinion. I played beta for a weekend and I thought the graphics were pretty and doing some quests with others was cool but that was the extent of it. It's a let down because I enjoyed playing Asheron's Call and I thought Turbine would have done a lot more with this game, I was actually planning on leaving WoW before having played beta just because it was a D&D MMO. That's not to say that they won't add PvP or Player crafting in the near future but as it stands now the game is not worth $15 p/mo or whatever they're going to charge people.

I do think this will start becoming a trend if it already hasn't -- games which have some form of multiplayer mode in them, that you'd normally pay $50 once for, are going to have a monthly fee attached with it. Why stop at $50 when you can call it an MMO and get more out of the customer, on a monthly basis?

Edited by Setzer

My question really wasn't answered.

Is World of Warcraft so graphicaly (sp?) advanced that I wont be able to run it?

I looked back at your posts and I didn't see where you specified which type of system you were going to run WoW on? I wouldn't run it on anything less than a 2ghz system with 1gb RAM and a nvidia 6600 video card otherwise it's gonna be choppy and not enjoyable even with all the settings set to min.. Going through Ironforge alone would lock your PC up if your system couldn't handle it.

WoW is not as bad as EQ2, that game was a serious resource hog. I agree that D&D seems to be a bit of a racket. They don't really have serious server strain because they are instancing everything, so the upkeep should be way less than traditional MMORPG's. They should be able to follow the Guild Wars model. Hopefully they'll release a ton of content every month, that's they only justification for monthly fees.

WoW, AC, DAoC all released free content on a regular basis. Expansion packs were typically above and beyond just content, and I think they are definitely worh it. EQ does seem to be milking it though. Every 6 months is crazy.

As far as I know, World of Warcraft hasn't had any expansion packs or booster packs (whatever they are) that you had to pay for yet. Every patch and content upgrade (and there have been lots of them) have so far been free.

Of course, Blizzard has like.. 5 million paying customers so I guess they can afford to produce content for free.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

As an aside, I notice with gloom that a new Stargate game is under development, and is a MMORPG :). This is not the same as the collapsed project Stargate: Alliance, which I think was an action/shooter. Here's a popular setting that's crying out for a character-driver RPG, and yet no. Why isn't Obsidian bidding for this, that's what I want to know.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

As an aside, I notice with gloom that a new Stargate game is under development, and is a MMORPG :ermm:. This is not the same as the collapsed project Stargate: Alliance, which I think was an action/shooter.  Here's a popular setting that's crying out for a character-driver RPG, and yet no.  Why isn't Obsidian bidding for this, that's what I want to know.

Well, for futuristic style RPG's, we will have to be satisfied with Mass Effect for the time being.

As an aside, I notice with gloom that a new Stargate game is under development, and is a MMORPG :ermm:. This is not the same as the collapsed project Stargate: Alliance, which I think was an action/shooter.  Here's a popular setting that's crying out for a character-driver RPG, and yet no.  Why isn't Obsidian bidding for this, that's what I want to know.

Well, for futuristic style RPG's, we will have to be satisfied with Mass Effect for the time being.

Not true <_<

IB1OsQq.png

Not true <_<

If that's not the truth, what is?

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I'm pretty sure the economics of running a MMORPG have been argued ad nauseum.  I'm amazed that people still bring that up.  Games are a business.  The monthly fee is extremely necessary.  Blizzard might not really need it, since they've sold a billion copies, but an average MMORPG has to pay for servers and staff every month in order to keep the world going.  Get over the monthly fee, it's not going anywhere.

Meh, it wasn't that bad if it just stayed with $10,- each months, but now you ALSO have to buy expension packs every 3 months or so, and small "Boosterpacks". They even wan't to bring this Boosterpack-bull to other games not MMO, like BF2. We are all doomed :ermm:

Wow has been out for over a year now, and the talk of expansion is still probably a year away. Furthermore, you can continue to play the game without the expansion anyways.

Is World of Warcraft so graphicaly (sp?) advanced that I wont be able to run it?

I looked back at your posts and I didn't see where you specified which type of system you were going to run WoW on? I wouldn't run it on anything less than a 2ghz system with 1gb RAM and a nvidia 6600 video card otherwise it's gonna be choppy and not enjoyable even with all the settings set to min.. Going through Ironforge alone would lock your PC up if your system couldn't handle it.

Nothing like a little hyperbole to start the day off.

And places like Ironforge are less annoying now, because it's not the only place with an auction house.

Wow has been out for over a year now, and the talk of expansion is still probably a year away.  Furthermore, you can continue to play the game without the expansion anyways.

Was talking about MMORPG's in General. Blizzard isn't what you would call a "common" designer...

I would say Sony is the uncommon designer, with their 6 month expansions. No other MMORPG does that.

Nothing like a little hyperbole to start the day off.

And places like Ironforge are less annoying now, because it's not the only place with an auction house.

:lol: Ok.

Ironforge is still a problem even with the auction houses in Darnassus and Stormwind.

I'm not saying the game won't run unless you have those specs just don't expect anything above 25 fps and about 10 in Ironforge.