Why does everyone hate Drizzt?

ramza

LOL!

one thing I know for sure is that some of the authors taking part in that project are crappy with a big C. One of them wrote the BG novels (based on the games) which are considered to be the worst books ever written in the history of litterature.

Yup, I have readen that...that was really bad..but if he's not on some dope and finally has some good ...heck, no he hasn't, but the other ones? :devil:

EDIT: can you imagine that many good books were never translated , but that s**t of BG novels were made 'at the double' ? :devil:

Edited by jorian

IB1OsQq.png

People in this thread know nothing about Drizzt.

For one thing, he isn't perfect. In fact, he's *very* flawed.

- he's lost numerous battles

- he desired a friend's girlfriend/wife

- he's allowed at least one innocent to die... in fact, he encouraged it

And, those are just a few things right off the top of my head.

Drizzt is far from perfect, or invincible. Anyone who thinks otherwise is stupid and obviously haven't read *any* of the books.

P.S. Drow had a good goddess since the very start.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Drizzt is far from perfect, or invincible. Anyone who thinks otherwise is stupid and obviously haven't read *any* of the books.

True :ermm:

IB1OsQq.png

2 reasons for hating drizzle...

1) drizzle is superman

the drow ranger is a superhero with superhero powers.  super speed and balance and super skill, and he is wise and a shining beacon of goodness in spite of having been shown so little goodness in his life. ack.  sew a big gawdy "D" on the front of his tunic/shirt and take the hood of his cape and you could drop him into any comic book.

2) drizzle exploits losers

drizzle has so much beauty inside, but he is misunderstood by most of the world.  the beautiful misunderstood loner crap is so damned insulting... and so damned effective.  all the geeks and nerdlings who reads escapist fantasy to avoid their own inability to successfully enjoy mainstream society is given a hero they can easily identify with. 

bah.

HA! Good Fun!

You rule!

I used to read Salvatore because there is a dire lack of good fantasy warfare. Most acclaimed authors tend to gloss over combat in favor of ideas and personalities, which earns them extra brownie points among the literati, but deviates from the epic/mythical structure of traditional fantasy. I, personally, prefer a dip of both on my escapist cuisine. But make no mistake, I'd no sooner read Salvatore for his characterizations than read Shakespeare for his combat scenes. To each their own strengths, and to page flipping their weaknesses.

There are doors

Dear Volourn, Drizzt was indeed vulnerable in the Dark Elf Trilogy: he couldn't save his father, his clacker friend or the humans that got killed. He became the Hunter as he suffered loneliness. He got caught by Illithids. etc etc etc The reason I liked that trilogy was because I had the feeling that I was reading a true d&d story with characters that were quite strong but not strong enough to prevent some things from happening.

After that trilogy, all I got to read was about a drow elf who was always asking himself the same questions, but expressed in a different manner. Why can't people accept me as I am? oh, but i have my dear friends... Oh, I love Cattie Brie but I can't marry her because blablabla... I could go on like this forever.

He is always complaining and inventing himself excuses to be sad and to kill more people/creatures/monsters. All this is too much repetitive to my taste and Drizzt is turning in circles. It's just an excuse for Salvatore to keep writing new novels. There's no way I will feel more sympathy towards Drizzt because of that self-pity bUll****...

On the contrary, Entreri is more pragmatic. He has suffered in his youth, yes; but he adapts himself to the reality of his surroundings and does everything that is necessary for his survival. I never heard him complain about his existence. He just had a time of self-doubting in the underdark but that was a turning-point in his life, so it's ok, i guess....

Concerning your arguments:

-Has he really lost any true battle? It has always been a draw with entreri, he caught captured by the drow at some point but that was no fight, and he escaped from Obould. In every fights, even though he was outnumbered and very likely to be killed, he survived in a less than credible fashion

-Wulfgar was dead, so I guess it was ok to love his ex-wife

-What innocent are you talking about? Do you mean the elf girl that seeked revenge on the basis of a misunderstanding? I was happy she got killed anyway, since she had turned to the dark side of the force ;)

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Drows are no demons or angels...and EVEN THEY can have other alignments then the 99%-s of their race  >_<

Ah, but they do have regular rituals and sacrifices to lloth and demons. They are the only race to regularly contact the abyss. Even Demons have a mistrust of drow. Sure there are exceptions in the other races, but the Drow meddle in the abyssal planes like no other race. This is the type of Drow I like, not the

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Drows are no demons or angels...and EVEN THEY can have other alignments then the 99%-s of their race  >_<

Ah, but they do have regular rituals and sacrifices to lloth and demons. They are the only race to regularly contact the abyss. Even Demons have a mistrust of drow. Sure there are exceptions in the other races, but the Drow meddle in the abyssal planes like no other race. This is the type of Drow I like, not the

IB1OsQq.png

I love challenges: playing with Poles in the WW2 as Germans attack, playing Germans on D-day and after, playing good char if his/her race is more evil than not, playing evil 'goody-goodys', playing a dwarf between lots of elves (:D ), playing mage with more than one magic-hater in the group, playing pacifist in the middle of a war, playing villain in the greatest empire of law and goodness, playing a dog when anyone else is human, or playing an unique character when anyone else tries to be a clone of his/her favorite character :lol:

You all should do this too >_<

:(:p:luck:

Edited by jorian

IB1OsQq.png

A phrase that means to discard what you are, who you are, your people's beliefs, in essence you pretend to be something you are not.

Example: the band Metallica. They sold out who they used to be, their image and their music. They are no longer the great heavy metal band that they used to be. They mellowed out in order to make more money. They sold out who they were in order to make more money.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

The first trilogy was definitely the best one.

I miss Entreri as a foil for Drizzt. Drizzt may not be superman, but he's made out to be so supreme in combat that he really needs someone who can fight him to a draw to be a counterpoint and to make things more interesting.

As to Drizzt's self-pity - eh...that's not self-pity so much as introspection and plot-extending soap opera. Thomas Covenant, now...that was self-pity. :D

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The first trilogy was definitely the best one.

I miss Entreri as a foil for Drizzt. Drizzt may not be superman, but he's made out to be so supreme in combat that he really needs someone who can fight him to a draw to be a counterpoint and to make things more interesting.

As to Drizzt's self-pity - eh...that's not self-pity so much as introspection and plot-extending soap opera.  Thomas Covenant, now...that was self-pity. :D

And who did create Entreri? >_<"

IB1OsQq.png

And who did create Entreri?  >_<"

Eh? You lost me. I've read the Drizzt books but I know nothing else of any Drizzt, Salvatore, or FR backstory/hsitory/legend/whatever.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I don't really care if Drizzt is the only good drow amongst his race. It's just that I dislike the character he has come to be after all his adventures. I can't imagine a proud warrior whining about his fate. The only way for him to face his inferiority complex is going on killing sprees.

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I don't really care if Drizzt is the only good drow amongst his race. It's just that I dislike the character he has come to be after all his adventures. I can't imagine a proud warrior whining about his fate. The only way for him to face his inferiority complex is going on killing sprees.

I would love if Salvatore would read this thread! :D

IB1OsQq.png

As to Drizzt's self-pity - eh...that's not self-pity so much as introspection and plot-extending soap opera.  Thomas Covenant, now...that was self-pity. :D

Meh, the damn leper, deserves to suffer for all that self pity. Heck, I felt self pity after having read all of that endless selfpity that was Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, wielder of self pity White Gold.

I can't really say that I hate the drizzit, having read the cleric quintet or some such, not remembering much beside a dark elf, a barbarian and a red haired chick :rolleyes:

Wasn't until I played BG2 that I remembered it again.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I would love if Salvatore would read this thread! :D

is there any way we can contact him? :rolleyes: