Bethesda + Their Games

Llyranor

A very vocal HELL NO

2D is the way to go.

I can imagine you chanting this, possibly at the head of a mob, storming Bethesda's HQ.

Poor Bethesda, it seems they can't please anybody. I wonder if Shadowstrider will be a mod on the Fallout 3 forums. That's not a job I'd fancy. :ph34r:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Why should they listen to the fans? All they do is whine and make unrealistic demands? :o

I love fallout 2 (and by extension fallout) but that doesn't mean I'm immune to change.

Because you're reasonable.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

A very vocal HELL NO

2D is the way to go.

I can imagine you chanting this, possibly at the head of a mob, storming Bethesda's HQ.

Poor Bethesda, it seems they can't please anybody. I wonder if Shadowstrider will be a mod on the Fallout 3 forums. That's not a job I'd fancy. :ph34r:

I would be the ring leader whipping the mob up into a blood frenzy.

I am not immune to change as well but there are just certain aspects of the game that needs to remain true to the first two Fallouts for me to even consider to buy this game. I also have come to realize Bethesda will make the game in a way they are comfortable with. I won't be joining the crusade against bethesda but I won't be buying Fallout 3 either if it doesn't fit with my criteria of what a proper modern fallout game should have.

Why should they listen to the fans? All they do is whine and make unrealistic demands? :)

I love fallout 2 (and by extension fallout) but that doesn't mean I'm immune to change.

^

Smartest person here. :lol:

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

1) Bethesda once had a Fallout 3 forum open. They closed it, very smart folks here where I work.

2) Fallout's game world has zero to do with turn-based combat or 2d graphics. Van buren was going to be in 3d, BoS was in 3d. Fallout: Tactics was not fully turn based, nor was Van Buren or BoS. Shows what you "true fanz" know.

That boat don't float.

I'm sure I do not need to say this to you wise and well-informed Gecklings ... but let's stay focused on discussing the topic and not flaming/baiting/baiting one another in either the personal vein or by attacking fellow gaming houses ... I'd have to do something then and so far this conversation has kept the sandbox generally in the box ...

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Um... Hades is the guy who who insults MW then proceeds to play it for 300+ hous accoridng to him in one play through...

I never insulted Morrowind. I think it is a decent enough game. I just don't think its style and presentation would make a good Fallout.

Fallout Tactics had a turn base mode, Shadowstrider, and J.E. Sawyer himself said that van Buren would be balanced for turn base even though it would have both turn base and real time options. Both of these games were fully turn base, but not exclusively turn base.

Bethesda's version can be real time if they want. More power to them but don't expect me to buy it if it doesn't have a turn base mode to it. If they mirror combat, both real time and turn base modes, like in Fallout Tactics with full 3D rendering along with a variable camera which I can control then I will be very much happily buy the game.

Edited by Judge Hades

I really don't care about those Fallout: blah blah titles. They are not Fallout, so developers can try with these games whatever they want. They can be Real-Time, can be FPSs or even RTSs. Really, i don't care.

But when it comes to Fallout 3, it has to be done properly. It has to be done as it should be.

Edited by karka
centinexx.png

Once again...

2) Fallout's game world has zero to do with turn-based combat or 2d graphics. Van buren was going to be in 3d, BoS was in 3d. Fallout: Tactics was not fully turn based, nor was Van Buren or BoS. Shows what you "true fanz" know.

Not FULLY turn based. Thats because Fallout != turn based combat. That is YOUR preference, not the Fallout's setting. S.P.E.C.I.A.L. works well in either TB or RT.

Before we go on I think that we need to have a consensus of what a proper Fallout 3 should or should not have. Now I know Gabs would be very much happy with a Fallout 3 done that it looks and plays like the first 2 Fallout CRPGs. It is a valid desire but there is no way in hell that is going to happen.

A Proper Fallout should have key elements that makes Fallout well Fallout, but not necessarily have these elements exclusively.

1: The Rules System. The Rules System of Fallout 3 needs to be recognizably SPECIAL. Now of course there will be necessary changes to update and streamline the system. I have a few ideas how I would do it but that is neither here nor there. For the combat aspects there needs to be a turn base mode for us old timers but I am not saying the game should be exclusively turn base. If we have the option to toggle between Turn Base and Real Time (as presented in Fallout Tactics) that should give the reasonable old timers and the rest a good middle ground to meet on.

2: Graphics and Style Representation. Expecting a game in this day and age from a developer/publisher to be 2D is downright ludricrous. That being said I would most definitely want full 3D environments that I can fully enjoy blowling up people and see blood and body parts fly all over the battlefield. Now I would like to see a free roaming camera aka Neverwinter Nights, with a toggle that will allow first person view or lock it in over the shoulder view. 3/4 view should be an option but not the only option.

3: NPCs. It has to have Dogmeat and Harold in the game or its just not Fallout.

If I think of more must haves I'll post them. :wub:

Once again...

Not FULLY turn based. Thats because Fallout != turn based combat. That is YOUR preference, not the Fallout's setting. S.P.E.C.I.A.L. works well in either TB or RT.

Um, they were fully turn base, just not exclusively turn base. Also SPECIAL does not work well in real time without some heavy modifications. Fallout Tactics is the best SPECIAL got to real time but Lionheart was the worse.

Lionheart was just a bad game, it had little to nothing to do with S.P.E.C.I.A.L.'s implementation.

Ask Sawyer or one of the other developers whether the tech demo supported turn-based combat. Odds are it didn't. They may have had plans, or begun working on, or even completed the turn-based implementation. However, I'd wager the tech demo didn't support it.

Unless my memory of Tactics is flawed (possible, I hated that game and barricaded most of it into the deepest recesses of my mind), the turn based combat was craptastic.

Even the original Fallout's had some fairly bad combat. Even with the slider turned up, it was slow and somewhat clunky. Not to mention it was EZ mode to the max.

I like RPGs, and there aren't that many good ones published. I don't want to talk myself out of liking this game before I know anything about it. I think I'll wait and let Bethesda present me with their vision of what Fallout 3 should be, and try to take it on its own terms.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

but Lionheart was the worse.

I'm glad you mentioned this.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Well, I'm not going to defend FO's TB system. As much as I like TB games, FO1/2's combat wasn't really enjoyable, though it wasn't really annoying or anything, either. It was just there. I can see the point of having TB for a game where you can only control one character, but that doesn't mean I can appreciate or care much for it.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)