NHL

Fionavar

I think the Detroit-Edmonton series is going to be closer than people think. In four meetings this season they went to overtime three times. There is a slight chance of an upset here if we go by regular season head to head performances.

Well its playoff time and I am so excited so I will throw out my predictions too

Western Conference

Detroit over Edmonton -Maybe 6 games

Dallas over Colorado - Theodore ain't the answer

SanJose over Nashville easily

Calgary over Anaheim of course we shall see how Anaheim handles the physical play of calgary

Eastern Conference

Ottawa over Tampa -in 5 no goaltending and weak defence equals early exit

Philly over Buffalo but it will be 7 games I think -- Buffalo has a chance to win if Forsberg is injured

Montreal over Carolina -hey there always at least 2 upsets in the first round in 7 games

New Jersey over NY Rangers in 5 they are peaking at the right time and Brodeur is hotttt right now

And I am so excited as I will be going to the game tomorrow Calgary will be crazy tomorrow Go Flames (w00t)

"NEW YORK over NEW JERSEY - Sorry Volourn! I wish the Rangers had a chance here, but the Devils are too hot and too deep. Good news is Brodeur is getting old."

Why apologize? You chose the Rangers to win. :D

Western Conference

Detroit over Edmonton in 5 games - Slam dunk easy win. I wouldn't doubt this is a sweep.

Dallas over Colorado in 6 games - Colorado is good. Dallas is better.

San Jose over Nashville in 6 games - Nashville is surprising this year; but the Thornton/Cheechoo combo will be too much.

Calgary over Anaheim in 5 games - I don't care for Calgary; but they're obviously better than Anaheim.

Eastern Conference

Ottawa over Tampa in 7 games - Ottawa is the better team; but Tampa is the defending champs. They won't be gotten ridden off so easily.

Philly over Buffalo in 6 games-- Buffalo has simply over performed thier expectations this year. They'll go home happy even as they go the PC route of 'we're dissapointed'.

Carolina over Montrealin 6 games - Montreal is good enough to make the play-offs; but that's it unless Kovalev dominates.

New Jersey over NY Rangers in 6 - Two weeks ago; I'd have said the Rangers in 6. However, Brodeur and co are too hot right now to lose to the majorly slumping solo effort Rangers. I'd have gone with a sweep; but I figure Jagr will dominate in one game, and Lundqvist will steal another making it a decent showing after 7 years of non play-off hockey for the Rangers. The devils are the only team who I would even think of picking over the Rangers in the first round. The one shining light is that despite Brodeur's great success in the play-offs; he's weak against the Rangers.. of course most of his play-off games versus the Rangers were against the dominateing Messier-Leetch-Richter teams,and Rangers 'o6 will not be mistaken for those....

;):p:p:p:p:(:(:(

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well since playoff predictions seem to be the norm these days, I thought I'd add mine. Of course with Vancouver being ousted there goes my prediction of them making it to the finals this year. Anyhoo.

The East

Ottawa vs. Tampa Bay: Although the Sens won the east, I can see this team dissapearing completely in the first round. TB in seven

Carolina vs Montreal: I like Carolina. That being said they've lost four of their last five going into the playoffs. Habs in six

New Jersey vs New York: Jagr will inspire his Czech republic squad to the second round. Jersey can win twelve games in a row but their powerplay will be their undoing. Rangers in seven

Buffalo vs. Philly: Philly has the better team. But Buffalo rolls four lines that on any given night can make you pay. Sabres in five

The West

Detroit vs. Edmonton: I'm a fanboi. So sue me. Oil in six

Dallas vs. Colorado: I think the Avs are great, but one line does not a team make. Plus Marty Turco>that French goalie. Dallas in five

Calgary vs Anaheim: I think this series could go either way. Calgary won't let in many goals, but will score even less. I'm only picking teh Ducks 'cos I can't stand the Flames. Ducks in seven

Nashville vs. [/b]San Jose: Nashville picked up six points in four games against the Sharks this season. But Nashville is missing Steve Sullivan and Vokoun. If the Thornton line doesn't score the Marleau line will. Sj in four

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I'm hoping for San Jose because I have Thornton and Cheechoo in my pool :)

My picks:

Ottawa over TB

Carolina over Montreal

NJ over New York

Buffalo over Philly

Detroit over Edmonton (though I hope not)

Dallas over Colorado

Anaheim over Calgary

San Jose over Nashville

I change my mind. I'm too much of a Ranger fanboy to actually go against them. Besides, I predicated doom for them before the season started, and was proven wrong, so they'll surprised us all again here with the major upset. So...

Rangers in 6 over Devils. :)"

Oilers need to relax.

Had a tough time handling the puck all night. If Roloson can keep up his play (same with the defense in terms of pouncing on loose pucks and cutting off drives to the net), Oilers should still be optimistic.

But yeesh...stop with the unforced turnovers.

I change my mind. I'm too much of a Ranger fanboy to actually go against them.  Besides, I predicated doom for them before the season started, and was proven wrong, so they'll surprised us all again here with the major upset. So...

Rangers in 6 over Devils. :-"

Martin Brodeur is too good for just Jagr to take on alone. That whole Rangers team has to be up to snuff evey game to beat the Devils. Also, Henrik Lundquist is inexperienced in the playoffs, while Brodeur has played 143 playoff games. I think the Devils with the win in 5 or 6.

Way to go Kirk Maltby! RED WINGS WIN IN OT!

Edited by DarthVala

dragon113mq.jpg

"Great intelligence usually goes hand in hand with great stupdity."

Join The Sibilati!

-Sibilati retrorsum sibilamus

"Also, Henrik Lundquist is inexperienced in the playoffs"

He was inexperienced in the Olympics... didn't stop him from single handedly winninga good. And, no, Sundin fans, that's a fact. :-

"Martin Brodeur is too good for just Jagr to take on alone. That whole Rangers team has to be up to snuff evey game to beat the Devils.'

Martin Broduer is awesome. And, if the Rangers lose, it will be 100% of him because the Devils don't scare Lundqvist on offense.

And, yes, Jagr *can* beat the Devils singlehandedly. He's gotten the Rangers 100 points practically single handedly (with some help from Lundqvist; the only other worthy player on the team).

It's the first game. The Rangers won't be so stupid (hopefully) with the penalties, and the Devils power play will not score 6 (technically 5) goals in one. Plus, Lundqvist won't be a moron in game 2.

Edited by Volourn

Well.. with Jagr now possibly hurt... this series may not go even 5 games... Guess I should be happy that the Rangers simply made the play offs after missing 7 years; but I'm not...

Edited by Volourn

Grats Oil fans!

And, look at that. SJ wins with Cheechoo getting 3 points and Thornton getting 0 points. Yeah, Cheechoo really relies on Thornton to get the job done. :rolleyes:

That was a sweet game. No sweep for you mighty Detroit. The hitting just about made all the defensive lapses worthwhile. It looks like we won't be seeing mr. Laraque anytime soon if young Winchester can keep up this level of play.

Now a nap and then its time for more hockey tonight.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Thornton was getting his job done in other ways, but the fact is he take attention away from guys like Marleau. Marleau has had an awesome two games so far. He's been physical, and he's moving the puck well.

I'm pretty happy with the officiating right now. Things are not slipping by.

The Oilers are also looking solid. Roloson has been fantastic. I'm smelling a few upsets already. Colorado and Edmonton are both looking good.

Actually it was great to see some desperation from both our teams Hurlie. Could you imagine SJ/Edm having to go home two games down? I don't think that would have been pretty.

The only complaint that I have is that I missed the two minutes where Edmonton took the lead because I was switching between that and the SJ game. I suppose somebody has a reason for not allowing the games to start at different times.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif