Vampire Masquerade

DeathzBlade

"Ask Bioware, they sure love their "Chosen One" storylines. I'm starting to doubt that they are capable of having a story without that element.. "

BG series - Not Chosen One

NWN (including expansions) - Not Chosen One

JE - Not Chosen One

KOTOR - Not Chosen One

Seems to me they ar every capable of not 'chosen one' storylines.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Bioware also seem to like stories about the reappearance of long-forgotten civilizations - the Rakata in Kotor and the Old Ones in NWN. Don't know if that's true for their other games, though. "

This is true though JE or BG series didn't have it. So... 3/5 of their CRPGs didn't have it... Hmm..

Edited by Volourn

"Hmmmm, I think Volo and I have different interpretations of the "Chosen One" term."

Perhaps. Mine tends to include one being predestined for something. ie. out of their control and destined to do great things usually good but neccessarily always true.

Examples: Buffy and Angel are 'Chosen Ones'. Willow, while a powerful witch, is not a 'Chosen One'

For example, in the OC, while the PC was eventually 'chosen' by Aribeth you weren't a 'Chosen One' as you were just a random trainee at the Academy that she likely saw a sonething that lacked in the other trainees (ie. that temporary henchmen you got in the prologue).

In fact, the biggest beef there is that Aribeth seemed to be too sure of the PC so quickly. Another example of her being a confused, and easily manipulated soul.

"Ask Bioware, they sure love their "Chosen One" storylines. I'm starting to doubt that they are capable of having a story without that element.. "

BG series - Not Chosen One

NWN (including expansions) - Not Chosen One

JE - Not Chosen One

KOTOR - Not Chosen One

Seems to me they ar every capable of not 'chosen one' storylines.

WARNING, SOMEWHAT SPOILERISH:

I think I'm inclined to agree with AlanSchu here, my definition of a chosen one doesn't seem to be quite yours. I don't feel that you need some kind of prophecy or big god telling you what you will do for the rest of your existence to be a "chosen one". I guess my defenition is that a "chosen one" is someone with more power than a "standard character" would have. Another point is how everything seems to revolve around you all the time, you are'nt a keyplayer in the game, you practically are the game itself. Almost nothing happens without you having been present. One example is BG you are the offspring of a dead god, giving you a great destiny and power from the start. In JE you are the last of the spiritmonks, the only capable of destroying the evil in the land. KOTORS character always comes off as a giant twink, former warlord that controlled several fleets, badass in using lightsabers and obscenly strong with forcepowers.

I love storylines where my character is the only one who can do anything to save the world, while everyone else passively waits for my arrival as their savior. It makes me feel so special.

Thanks, Bioware, for making me feel special. :wub:

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

"Hmmmm, I think Volo and I have different interpretations of the "Chosen One" term."

Perhaps. Mine tends to include one being predestined for something. ie. out of their control and destined to do great things usually good but neccessarily always true.

But that means PS is still 'Chosen One' in HotU,

you possessed the relic that connected you to Mephistopheles from the very beginning

. :thumbsup:

But still, in NWN OC and expansions you became 'special' too quickly.

But still, in NWN OC and expansions you became 'special' too quickly.

"Great job in dispatching those rats! Now save our fair city, brave and most noble adventurer"

I'm leaning towards Volourn's interpretation.  Chosen Ones start out special, great things are expected of them etc while others get caught up in things that make them special.

IN that sense, KotOR is a good example.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

:thumbsup:

That was a reply to Gabby about requiem :-

Yes, I wanted to know what was so bad about Requiem that it deserved a :x .

It's not WOD :)

White Wolf:

World of Darkness:

Vampire:

Requiem

It's WoD for sure but couse of Sep11 no Jihad or things like that in it :-

IB1OsQq.png

It's WoD for sure but couse of Sep11 no Jihad or things like that in it :wacko:

Jyhad. I mean, hey, the spelling's totally different :thumbsup:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of WoD's penchant for quaint and cutesy spellings or, on the other hand, for bits of ye olde englishe, used to differentiate fundamental game concepts, myself. VtM is at its best when it's ripping off Anne Rice wholesale. But wherever it strays from simply ripping off Rice and turning her world into RPG material, I tend to like it less. That's not because I'm an Anne Rice fan. All in all, I think White Wolf is a better RPG publisher than Rice is a good writer (and I would just barely call her a 'good writer' at all). But the cases of unique setting and world-specific vocabulary in VtM is for me probably its biggest lacking. And how a setting is written does matter.

It's WoD for sure but couse of Sep11 no Jihad or things like that in it :p

Jyhad. I mean, hey, the spelling's totally different :(

Yeah, I'm not a fan of WoD's penchant for quaint and cutesy spellings or, on the other hand, for bits of ye olde englishe, used to differentiate fundamental game concepts, myself. VtM is at its best when it's ripping off Anne Rice wholesale. But wherever it strays from simply ripping off Rice and turning her world into RPG material, I tend to like it less. That's not because I'm an Anne Rice fan. All in all, I think White Wolf is a better RPG publisher than Rice is a good writer (and I would just barely call her a 'good writer' at all). But the cases of unique setting and world-specific vocabulary in VtM is for me probably its biggest lacking. And how a setting is written does matter.

I don't read her books but I love the movies.. queen of the damned was a really good... :cool: