KotoR 3: Ideas and Suggestions

it seems to me that one of the biggest problems with lightsaber combat is, in fact, in the area of the 1-1 boss battle.

chances are, neither you nor the boss is wearing any armor.....if you get hit with a lightsaber, you ARE going to:

1) die.

2) suffer a self-carterizing sever wound of some kind.

3) your lightsaber gets hit and gets shorted out.

it is that simple and it is precisely because of that that we need a sophicated system to determine what actually happened and whether what happened can be

averted (i.e. defensive feats turning a blow into a glancing blow, etc)....even a glancing blow from a lightsaber will have you howling and falling to the floor.

in squad-based combat it is not as big of a deal since:

1) ranged weapons will be used in some fashion.

2) the opponents will (often) have armor on.

but even then, we need more realism...we need armor damage (i.e. Morrowind)

and we need to see lightsabers slicing right through Gaffi sticks....even Vibroblades should not get a 100% saving throw against a lightsaber.

Selling better does not equal a better game. Look at britney Spears. She sold millions of records, that doesn't mean she is a quality singer. In fact, she is also crap. I have no problem with them making an action oriented Star Wars CRPG, but they better not call it KotOR because that isn't what kotOR is.

That new version of Bard's Tale is bard's tale in name only and a craptastic game in of itself.

Edited by Judge Hades

Selling better does not equal a better game.  Look at britney Spears.  She sold millions of records, that doesn't mean she is a quality singer.  In fact, she is also crap.  I have no problem with them making an action oriented Star Wars CRPG, but they better not call it KotOR because that isn't what kotOR is.

That new version of Bard's Tale is bard's tale in name only and a craptastic game in of itself.

IMO, what prevented the new Bard's Tale from being a true RPG was the lack of meaningful dialogue not the fact that combat was real-time....

if KOTOR 3 has the kind of dialogue and meaningful choices that K2 had, then it will be a CRPG in my book.....the problem is the lightsaber....multilayered combat just can't do justice to it....the more I think about it (in light of this unique problem) the more I'm hoping for RT combat.

Knights of the Old Republic uses the d20 System rules set, abeit modified. That is the foundation of which the game is based on. If you take that away and do whatever you are proposing you simply will not have kotOR. You have a totally different game with the KotoR name. Games that are like that are automatic crap in my book.

What prevented BT from being a CRPG? Well the whole premise behind it. What makes it not a CRPG? Play the originals and your will see quite plainly yourself.

What?  He wants the game to play itself?

The game pretty much already does play itself. Much more so than your Jade Empire example.

Knights of the Old Republic uses the d20 System rules set, abeit modified. That is the foundation of which the game is based on. If you take that away and do whatever you are proposing you simply will not have kotOR. You have a totally different game with the KotoR name. Games that are like that are automatic crap in my book.

What prevented BT from being a CRPG? Well the whole premise behind it. What makes it not a CRPG? Play the originals and your will see quite plainly yourself.

That's only because you can never look past the rules.

Get over it. People are tired about hearing your schtick.

Edited by alanschu

Umm, I had way more control in combat when playing Dungeon Siege compared to KotOR. I hated the fact that no npc would use anything other than blows and pistols if I didn't assume control of them. In DS mages and priests at least didn their jobs. Not to mention how dynamic the interface was.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Hey, a game needs to be consistant with the rules it uses;. KotOR uses d20 System. Every kotOR game needs to be consistant inthat If they want to make their own rules for the next Star Wars CRPG then more power to them. Just don't call it KotOR. You just don't change the rules of the game in the middle of the campaign. That is just bad GMing.

Edited by Judge Hades

I just don't like the combat engage-feature, and I think a new combat system would be a good idea. Seriously, think about BGs system for example.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I'm no talking about rules at all here. Just how the combat is played. Engage is clunky, as has been mentioned several in this thread.

kirottu said:

I just don't like the combat engage-feature, and I think a new combat system would be a good idea. Seriously, think about BGs system for example.

Animation wise, is it really much different?

Or are we talking strictly combat?

Because I'm not sure if you're adding on to that other guy's posts or just making an unrelated statement about combat.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Hey, a game needs to be consistant with the rules it uses;.  KotOR uses d20 System.  Every kotOR game needs to be consistant inthat  If they want to make their own rules for the next Star Wars CRPG then more power to them.  Just don't call it KotOR. You just don't change the rules of the game in the middle of the campaign.  That is just bad GMing.

FFS it's not a PnP game.

Hey, a game needs to be consistant with the rules it uses;.  KotOR uses d20 System.  Every kotOR game needs to be consistant inthat  If they want to make their own rules for the next Star Wars CRPG then more power to them.  Just don't call it KotOR. You just don't change the rules of the game in the middle of the campaign.  That is just bad GMing.

LMAO tell that to SOE.. they change SWG every 6 months...

Edited by DeathzBlade

Animation wise, is it really much different?

Or are we talking strictly combat?

Because I'm not sure if you're adding on to that other guy's posts or just making an unrelated statement about combat.

Good questions. I'd answer no to both.

kirottu said:

Probably because it's a good system :)

So far it's alright.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester