What are you listening to?

Child of Flame

April 5th is my birthday. =]

I just listen to anything that sounds good to me... For instance, Breaking Benjamin - Ladybug.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Listen to Mudhoney, listen to Green River, the punk influences existed in Grunge from day one.

Yeah, but never as blatantly as Nirvana did it. Only their first album sounded remotely like any other grunge band. Save maybe The Melvins, but only because Cobain robbed them too.

Although really, there is no such thing as grunge. Every grunge band can easily be classified into another genre, and probably fit in there better. The only factor that sets them apart is because they all came from the Seattle scene.

I'd hold Nirvana responsible for killing guitar music if the Hair Metal scene hadn't done it first.

Sonic Youth - Shadow of a Doubt

Hey , I liked Nirvana for the exact opposite reason. Anybody who practiced for more than a half an hour could play their songs on guitar once they had that tuned-down-half-a-step-thing going on.

Talking Heads - Road To Nowhere

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I'd hold Nirvana responsible for killing guitar music if the Hair Metal scene hadn't done it first.

Hold on... at least hair metal bands had prominent guitar solos (sometimes several of them). It was still a subgenre of "metal" after all, wasn't it? Today's modern rock scene features extremely bland power chord progressions and angsty sophomoric lyrics that just bore me to tears. AND NO SOLOS! Clear Channel's busy telling them "Keep it to 3:30, no time for guitar theatrics."

I would take Motley Crue or Def Leppard anyday over the grunge leftovers populating the radio these days. At least Poison knew how to have "nothin' but a good time." It was shallow pop, but it was definitely big guitar music.

And another note on "the grunge scene:" There were some seriously skilled guitarists in those bands, most notably Kim Thayil and Jerry Cantrell. Those guys were drawing their inspiration from Zeppelin and Sabbath. Who are today's modern rock bands drawing from? Because it seems to me they're dragging the breath out of a style of music that was once "screaming life."

Oh yeah, and since I'm waxing nostalgic:

Soundgarden - Slaves and Bulldozers

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Brand New- "Seventy Seven Times Seven"

So is that what you call a getaway?

Tell me what you got away with.

Cause I've seen more spine on jellyfish,

I've seen more guts on eleven-year-old kids.

Have another drink and drive yourself home,

I hope there's ice on all the roads.

So you can think of me when you forget your seatbelt,

and again when your head goes through the windshield.

"Angsty" isn't exactly a new thing in the genre, ya know. It's just gotten one hell of a lot more pronounced and less poetic.

I know next to nothing about how a guitar is "supposed" to sound, but I grew up going to my mom's shows. She had a couple bands and actually played some pretty big shows, a couple thousand in the crowd one time. They did mostly covers with my mom as lead singer and guitarist. Then again, this was over a decade ago. Miss those days, and I'm sure she does too.

Been told I've an ear for this sort of thing, that I can find something redeeming in almost every form of music...or maybe I'm just too lenient. :p

Anyway, sorry, launched into a bit of memory there. Now, am I a fool for liking Linkin Park, Shinedown, Seether, Three Days Grace, Theory of a Deadman, APC, and all the other new mainstream bands? It's what I've heard, and it's what I like. I'm also a fan of Tom Petty, Audioslave, Tool, Choral compositions, a bit of techno, some pop, a small, small bit of rap (Sean Paul...something about the vocals), some country, Orchestras, reggae, tribal music, and pretty much anything with a good beat to it.

The preference for harder rock comes from a liking of the little nuances involved and the driving force of the music itself. Lyrics come second, always. For example, I like Breaking Benjamin (Shameless second plug for favorite band.) because of the crispness of the guitar work. They keep it pretty damn tight throughout all their songs, while still maintaining that force I like. Also, the vocals are unique, so that's a plus.

Nobody cares, and sorry about the long tirade. Back to Deftones - Minerva, and Oblivion.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

LW:

Everybody's got opinions about what's good and what's not. Me, I'm gonna turn into a old hermit who'll reminisce about the "glory days" of rock with rose-colored glasses. :)

Was it really that much better? My judgement is suspect, because I was there and I was INTO it. Of course I'm gonna say it was better, because it was mine. Just like old hippies or punks telling new hippies or punks they had to be hardcore back in THEIR day, not like today...

Also, I've found as I've grown up, my enthusiasm for the heavy stuff has seriously waned. Maybe if I were younger, I'd be into Disturbed or Seether.... but it really doesn't interest me now. Even when Godsmack was getting big and I was still listening to mainstream rock, I thought they were a terrible Alice in Chains rip-off. Although Voodoo was kinda cool...

It's cool that your mom was a rocker... was she in Fleetwood Mac? ;) And Tom Petty is a legend, man, we can agree on that. :p

Oh yeah, a song...

Wilco - Heavy Metal Drummer

I miss the innocence I've known

playing KISS covers

beautiful and stoned

Edited by Darth Drabek

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Age has nothing to do with it, bad taste in unforgivable.

Of course, this is a fully Baleycentric perspective, and thus I am capable of skillfully and objectively deciding what "good" taste means.

That being said, liking Linkin Park is just beyond taste, it's an offense to humanity itself.

Fant

Hank Williams - Jambalaya.

I managed to snag a '20 Greatest Hits' tape from F.Y.E. in the bargain tape section. My Grandpa broke his old tape.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Age has nothing to do with it, bad taste in unforgivable.

Of course, this is a fully Baleycentric perspective, and thus I am capable of skillfully and objectively deciding what "good" taste means.

That being said, liking Linkin Park is just beyond taste, it's an offense to humanity itself.

Fant

Edited by LoneWolf16

- Everlast

Disturbed, KoRn and Orgy are actually some of my guilty pleasures. I know they mostly suck, but I like them anyway. I guess I just like a lot of stuff. Got some classical and J-pop scattered across the hard drive, and my playlist just switched from Clap Your Hands Say Yeah to Opeth.

I like where Disturbed is going, actually. Bands like Disturbed and Slipknot are making the first steps back towards good songwriting. They're still not actually doing it, but they're trying, at least. Complete with solos and everything. Bad solos, but solos nonetheless. People love Slayer and Kerry King can't ****ing solo for **** either, so big deal.

Edited by TrueNeutral

I've noticed that nowadays people mostly listen with their body, instead of just thier ears and the music is aimed with that in mind. Rythmic, mucho percussion and easy, almost simplistic melodies are the hallmark of the era. I find it kinda sad, really. Yeah, exceptions and all that, but I think anyone who really lives with the music, instead of going the route of " just having something on the background while I work" can notice it.

Gah, beats me why.

ELP - Knife Edge

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Feel the illinoise - Sufjan Stevens

Sufjan Stevens is really overrated. When he can make one good album with really good material he opts to make five instead, spreading it too thin.

That doesn't mean he isn't a good songwriter, though.

:lol: Feel the illinoise is a great album! Besides, we're talking about art, your judgment is purely subjective.

Gold Mine Gutted - Brighteyes

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

I've noticed that nowadays people mostly listen with their body, instead of just thier ears and the music is aimed with that in mind. Rythmic,  mucho percussion and easy, almost simplistic melodies are the hallmark of the era. I find it kinda sad, really. Yeah, exceptions and all that, but I think anyone who really lives with the music, instead of going the route of " just having something on the background while I work"  can notice it.

Gah, beats me why.

ELP - Knife Edge

Hehehe, get it, beats him. Like a drum beat.

Also, everyone who is crying because their music is being made fun of, maybe you shouldn't post here anymore. Everyone has the right to tell other people how much thier music sucks.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

:' (

Benny Goodman - Jumpin' At The Woodside.

Roy Orbison - Blue Bayou

Roy Orbison - Oh Pretty Woman