Article about 2005 for RPGs

qaz156

No. What is idiocy that they place a game company such as Troika on such a pedestal. If they were so great in making games why was Arcanum was so unbalanced that it wasn't even worth playing or that Temple of Elemental Evil was so freaking bug ridden that it was unplayable? Or the fact that All their games were poorly programmed and got next to no support to fix all the problems they have?

A game needs to be two things: It needs to be fun and it needs to work. Bioware makes games that are pretty fun and they work. Obsidian has made 1 game that was fun except for the ending and works decently. Obsidian has a long ways to go before they get on Bioware's level.

A fun and working game beats a buggy unworking game every time. That is what RPGCodex fails to recognize and why this article is idiotic.

Edited by Judge Hades

icon14.gif

No.  What is idiocy that they place a game company such as Troika on such a pedestal.  If they were so great in making games why was Arcanum was so unbalanced that it wasn't even worth playing or that Temple of Elemental Evil was so freaking bug ridden that it was unplayable?  Or the fact that All their games were poorly programmed and got next to no support to fix all the problems they have?

A game needs to be two things:  It needs to be fun and it needs to work.  Bioware makes games that are pretty fun and they work.  Obsidian has made 1 game that was fun except for the ending and works decently.  Obsidian has a long ways to go before they get on Bioware's level.

A fun and working game beats a buggy unworking game every time.  That is what RPGCodex fails to recognize and why this article is idiotic.

That pretty much sums it up. I did like Arcanum and Bloodlines, but they were hideously flawed in some areas.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Yeah, but I didn't buy Bloodlines til it was inthe $10 bargin bin, like I said I would when the game was rleased. I have no problems spending $10 on something like that. Also there was only one truly sucky Bioware game and that was NWN which they have improved over time.

No.  What is idiocy that they place a game company such as Troika on such a pedestal.  If they were so great in making games why was Arcanum was so unbalanced that it wasn't even worth playing or that Temple of Elemental Evil was so freaking bug ridden that it was unplayable?  Or the fact that All their games were poorly programmed and got next to no support to fix all the problems they have?

Rarely a person there will deny these problems with Troika's games. They actually have more complaints than those.

Well, I do have to say that Bloodlines, though flawed, is a fairly fun game. I enjoy Bloodlines more than I did the NWN OC that is for sure. My favorite bit was finding the Nosferotu. It was like playing through a dungeon crawl in the modern age. :blink: The only major thing I would have like to see is having a full party. The PC and 3 others going into the darkest reaches of Los Angeles would have been great fun.

Why do you guys even link such utter crap to this forum? Worthless idiocy.

Let me guess: as the world's only The Action Game of 2004 fan and a potential buyer of the collector's edition your feelings were hurt? :blink:

I never get finnish humour. :(

It's very easy to be whiny about everything and everyone. When it's done without class and/or humour it just becomes pathetic garbage. Just like in the article.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

You know, I don't agree with everything that comes out of the Codex. Don't think anyone does. But its not like they're a monolithic presence either; they're a collection of voices who have a passion for crpgs. And a lot of time they tell truths that need be said, and sometimes they do it pretty funny, too. If there ever was such a ting as the anti-establishment of gamers, that's them.

Like I said, the day the codex lays down and gives up will be a sad day for people who have a passion for computer games..

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

After reading the article, i noticed how much they resemble any other "elite" communities. Go to a movie-forum and you find these prententious people complaining about the shallowness of todays movies. Go to a metal-forum and find people claiming that they know all about "true"-metal is. Go to RPGCodex and find how people are complaining about RPG's.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

RPGCodex doesn't have a passion for CRPGs.  They have a passion for Tim Cain.

That sounds....unhealthy. Maybe i should register as "Rikku_1990" with a Dragonball Z-avatar and stir things up a little. On the other hand, i have better things to do.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Ha, Vis, the day the day you close doors and give up will be a sad day for gamers too. :wub:

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

"Rarely a person there will deny these problems with Troika's games. They actually have more complaints than those."

Yeah; but those complaints are usually directed at the publisher or the 'dumb fans' who supposedly aren't 'smart enough' to know 'truely finely crafted games'.

R00fles!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The thing with Troika is that they and Obsidian are/were the ONLY developers with the ability and will to create really good CRPG's. If the publisher doesnt give a dev enough time or resources to properly QA a game then blame the publisher, not the developer.

And if you agree with Tim Cains approach to CRPGs, you want him to make more games. It might become fanboyism at some point but the core is that you want the people with the talen to make the games.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I've never seen a single game developer polarize so many people. How does Tim Cain sleep at night, we wonders? How, HOW? >_<

Anyway, as long as a game eventually gets patched to a playable state, I don't really care about bugs. I simply don't buy games upon initial release. Given the well documented state of the entire software industry, anybody who puts down money for version 1.0 of anything without doing their research first deserves whatever they get.

As a general rule, never ever buy a game that has "dungeon" in the title.

:-

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I pre-ordered Dungeon Lords, better known as Dung Lords.. :-

Yes, well, I violated my own "never buy 1.0 without research" rule for that one too. Needless to say, it was great reminder of why I have that rule in the first place.

Damn you, DW Bradley! DAMN YOU! D:

Publishers measure the success of the game by the number of copies sold in the first two weeks. If you want to support a developer, dont wait a month or two to buy the game. If youre concerned about the bugs, buy it and shelve it until the patch is released.

Publishers measure the success of the game by the number of copies sold in the first two weeks. If you want to support a developer, dont wait a month or two to buy the game. If youre concerned about the bugs, buy it and shelve it until the patch is released.

Interesting point. I never thought of it that way. Of course that's assuming its the publishers and not the devs that are the cause of the buggy release,a nd the devs are thus worse supporting.

But who can ever know the truth...

*cues Visceris theme music*