Environment

Gabrielle

You know the enviroment is going to hell in a hand basket when it rains in January when it suppose to be snowing. Where I live it usually snows in the winter and usually January and February we get a lot of it. What do I see it doing outside right now? Rain. Must be this global warming bs.

I once heard someone on FoxNews say words to the effect that global warming couldn't be true because it was really cold outside. :o

Catholics in Spain pray for rain all the time (with little success, it must be said). Try praying for snow. Treat it as an experiment. You might even get government funding.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

It's been raining like mad here for days...flood warnings the past few years have become commonplace where they used to be fairly rare. We've also had 'big' lightning quite a bit lately too - I'd never seen that kind of lightning here, ever, until a few years ago. Freaked me out. And so far this year we've had three tornado warnings that I know of...granted, they were very tiny miniscule tornado warnings, not like out in mid-US, but still...for San Francisco Bay Area it's quite odd.

The weather around my area really has been rather out of the norm in terms of the last 50 years or so, IMO.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yes. Not 50 years, but 35 (I was 2 when we moved here), plus some research on weather patterns + grandparents. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Soon if you want to visit the rainforest you'll just have to walk out your door.

Soon if you want to visit the rainforest you'll just have to walk out your door.

I don't like near any rainforests. I don't think a lot of people here do.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I have not seen rain since mid-October. Last year we were swimming in rain. Had 2 tornado warnings last January, that was odd. Never seen that in Phoenix, Arizona.

It is not bad though. I am silently dreading the 4 straight months of 105-120 (40-49) degree heat coming this spring/summer, in which rain is even less likely.

Edited by Arclam

I don't like near any rainforests. I don't think a lot of people here do.

*scratches head*

I could be wrong, but I think you might have missed the joke I was making.

I'll agree with you there.

Not to mention all the potential medical possibilities that might yet be found in places like that.

Fubar indeed.

Just out of interest, how many of you make the effort to use public transport and recycle every last thing that's recycable?

Do you switch all your lights and TV/Computer off when not in the room?

Do you only switch the hot water on twice a day?

Do you take your own bags with you whilst shopping for food?

Do you use solar/wind/bio power to cut down your grid consumption?

Have you taken measures to provide extra insulation to your housing?

I'm guessing a lot of pro environmental people haven't done half the things on my brief of the top of my head list - so cut the "I care about the environment" crap, k thx :p

Recycling a few empty bottles and newspapers once in a while does not make you a saint.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

Calm down, I don't think anyone here was claiming to be an environmental saint. But there are long-term issues that could be lessened or alleviated or prevented - many of those things are political in nature and/or poverty vs. non-poverty oriented that can really only be dealt with by the "common man" by voting, unless you want to join the Corps or live in the jungle with apes, as a few brave & dedicated souls have done over the years. And, of course, the truth is that the planet itself will survive whatever we do - humans may not, but that's what we're really complaining about when we complain about environment, isn't it? The human-comfort/pleasure/survival aspect to the topic.

As to your indignant list:

Just out of interest, how many of you make the effort to use public transport and recycle every last thing that's recycable?

No on the first half, because there is almost no such thing where I live. If I lived in San Fran, there's BART and lots of bus routes to close by shopping etc., but where we are....nope. Typical US suburbia where homes are clustered together to the point where it's miles to the nearest clothing store. I do, however, drive my car very little - only when neccesary, I don't joy-ride in it. My car is 7 years old and it has 25,000 miles on it, to give you the idea.

I recycyle everything that's recycable until the giant bin the city gives me is full.

Do you switch all your lights and TV/Computer off when not in the room?

Yes to the lights/TV, no the computer. I also keep the thermostat at 55-65F even when it's very cold outside. I just wear more clothes.

Do you only switch the hot water on twice a day?

Me personally, I only use hot water when I take a shower, and that's once a day. There is, however, washing dishes and clothes. Which is probably every other day.

Do you take your own bags with you whilst shopping for food?

No, but I recycle those plastic bags and I insist they do not bag stuff that doesn't need to be bagged, like toilet paper..

Do you use solar/wind/bio power to cut down your grid consumption?

It's not available here, we don't own our house, and it'd be pretty expensive to try and set it up.

Have you taken measures to provide extra insulation to your housing?

If I owned this house, yes, I would.

Hey guys is this a good place to announce I finally found a car?

1985 Cutlass Supreme, it is a 'midsize' but it's fuggin' huge.

Got it for a grand, only parts that are in bad shape are the mouldings around the doors and other rubber parts that deteriorated and aren't easily/neccessary to replace. Already smogged.

Engine is pristine minus one belt that's stretched a bit as it aged, I'll be replacing it soon.

Whee!

It's as good a place as any, CoF. :D

First car? Man...I remember my 1st car. Fun, until it got smooshed. :(