Claiming space real estate

Atreides

How much should the discoverer have?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. How much should the discoverer have?

• Everything
    • Share with the rest of the world
    • Nothing (there shouldn't be claims)
    • A percentage of the claim
    • Some other solution
    • Undecided

Like damn let me sleep will ya. When I want it, I'll give it to you.

Hahaha!!!! I like that attitude. So (usually) true, too. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

That Bugger was supposed to be plural too.  ;)

i was confused, disturbed and aroused by that "mistake".

Those emotions happen to you when you turn on a lightswitch. For pete's sake. :)

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Being a true gentleman, I would never engage in coitus unless it was absolutely necessary.

And please! I beg of you my fellows, if you are going to discuss items of a delicate nature please use the proper latin terms. Think of the children.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The frenzied land grab of space exploration will lead to another age of manifest destiny followed by imperial exploitation, inevitably resulting in multiple devastating wars eventually leading to the establishment of a loosely held, corporate-controlled federation of planets. At least, that's what sci-fi novels tell me, and they're gospel! :(

Seriously though, I can't imagine how space colonization would begin. I have a hard time imaginining space colonies of any real caliber any time soon - sure, countries will have some form of planet-based stations up there sooner or later, but they'll be more sources of scientific study and national pride than real colonies. In some sense, I don't think human beings as a species is ready for the final frontier. Our societies cannot handle the scale of resources and manpower that would be required for a large-scale colonization of any planet, and research in the area has been largely halted as a result of strategic disinterest (until recently, when China's space program has apparently served as a good motivator for the US and Japan into another space race).

I think it'll be quite a while, barring major incidents and incentives, before we'll go from being short-sighted introverts to taking another solid shot at space. Perhaps it won't happen at all until we as a species decided to work cooperatively towards a single goal, directing the bulk of our nations' resources into a vast, momentous project. Anything less than that, and I fear that we're still very far technologically from being able to risk an endeavor such as space colonization with all the problems at home.

There are doors

Congratulations Hades for reclaiming the number one position for post count!!!

Ok... you are free to continue your discussion on testes connected to lightswitches ...

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

Thank goodness there's no life on Mars. I can't begin to imagine all the ways we would screw it up if there were.

Let private companies exploit space, so long as we can tax a percentage of their profits and use that to improve life for the poorest on Earth.

I met an American once who had the idea that the moon belonged to them because they'd landed on it first. I wonder, does anyone know who has the authority to divide up space assets or to validate their ownership?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

nobody has the authority, which is why its finders keepers.

Say the US did officially claim the Moon as theirs, who would be able to do anything about it?

Even if another country or organisation had the armed forces, the will and space capability to fight them over the Moon the winner would set the terms and delineate property as they saw fit. Ultimately you'd still have one dominating owner of the moon.

Let's look at world history. What happened with the "new world"? we see claims made, territories staked, everyone wants what everyone else has and wars over it all. countries win and lose stakes, the places eventually become independant. i predict.... that our history will repeat itself.