Whatever happened to F.E.A.R ?

Kaftan Barlast

I meant that whereas engines like D3/Q4 and FEAR are written from scratch, Hl2 builds on older technology from another developer. This is part of what makes it able to run on slower machines but makes it harder to implement new features.

It's clear you're not in the programming part of your programming school. You couldn't possibly make any of your claims without recognizing what parts of the code are still being utilized.

The biggest advantage of FSAA comes with resolution limitations.  Such as flatpanel or widescreen monitors.

Agreed, and I do play on a 1280-native flat panel. Also, I absolutely cannot tolerate even the slightest amount of aliasing. :blink: I don't know why. It just gets on my nerves. Any resolution other than the native 1280 looks like garbage on my monitor, so I'm stuck at that resolution. In fact, when I was hunting for a monitor, the only reason I chose my 19" PVA to a superior 20" S-IPS was because the 20" had a 1600 native resolution, and I was sure I couldn't get a lot of games games to run smooth at that resolution with any amount of AA.

To be honest sounds like more of a limitation of your flat panel monitor. Questionable resolution support is why I still haven't made the progression away from CRT.

I also have 2 gigs RAM and FEAR runs perfect with all option smax at 1024*768 even on my aging 9800 Pro and now no-longer what it used to be P4 3.4.

I never run anything higher than 1024*768 since it looks good enough at that res.  I also never run lower than 102*768 cause 3d games start to look like crap below that.

You are my alter-ego!

I think it's mostly a habit that started back in the day when interfaces didn't scale with resolution. I remember playing Quake 2 at 1600x1200, and the health and console and everything were absolutely miniscule.

I wonder if aliasing is more prevalent on an LCD screen.

3dgraphics-aliasing.jpg

edges that shold be smooth, but are jagged.

The funny thing is that that picture you posted is apparently completely unacceptable to play a video game at. I can't imagine how people can honestly notice (especially to the point where it becomes annoying) that, on animated (i.e. moving) creatures in a video game.

To me, a hand like that would be perfectly acceptable in a video game.

As I said earlier, to each his own I guess.

To be honest sounds like more of a limitation of your flat panel monitor.  Questionable resolution support is why I still haven't made the progression away from CRT.

Yes and No. Pretty much all LCD displays completely suck at non-native resolutions. They also suck at color reproduction (except S-IPS panels and to a certain extent PVA/MVA panels), and have poor response times. Their only advantage over CRT's is desk space and weight.

I wonder if aliasing is more prevalent on an LCD screen.

Much more noticeable than on a CRT, at least IMO.

Edited by angshuman

on a side note... I was playing Half Life 2 without antialiasing, then flipped it on at 2X and didn't notice a difference

PS... why on earth is the gman in a black mesa photo?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Which one is the Gman??

The one on the right maybe, but I'm not so sure.

dat's da one I was referring to

I was playing fear earlier... and appearently theres a movement to get it banned for, among other reasons, promoting cannibalism (think the first cutscene and the briefing).

All in all a good game until you start to guess what the mercs are going to do and just slaughter them. I've also got my reflex's boosted by about 30 or 40% and my health goes to 150 now.

Which one is the Gman??

The one on the right maybe, but I'm not so sure.

dat's da one I was referring to

I was playing fear earlier... and appearently theres a movement to get it banned for, among other reasons, promoting cannibalism (think the first cutscene and the briefing).

All in all a good game until you start to guess what the mercs are going to do and just slaughter them. I've also got my reflex's boosted by about 30 or 40% and my health goes to 150 now.

There's a movement to get it banned? :blink:

I ****ing hate people some times. Just don't play it if it offends or upsets you you stupid ****ing peons!

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

on a side note... I was playing Half Life 2 without antialiasing, then flipped it on at 2X and didn't notice a difference

PS... why on earth is the gman in a black mesa photo?

That's not gman, I saw that scientist in HL1.

And I run FEAR at 1680 * 1050 without AA and get flucuations of 30-60 fps. The lack of AA though really gets to me after awhile. This engine needs to be optimised more.

I also have 2 gigs RAM...

I never run anything higher than 1024*768 since it looks good enough at that res.  I also never run lower than 102*768 cause 3d games start to look like crap below that.

I remember playing Quake 2 at 1600x1200, and the health and console and everything were absolutely miniscule.

I have 2gig RAM too and it certainly makes a difference.

The only reason I play in 1600 is for screenshots. Unfortunately after a long period of time I've gotten so used to the way it looks in 1600 that 1024 looks rather horrible to me in most games - flatter colors, pixels too large and noticable, the view too "close-up" and confined feeling. So I run at 1280 when I'm not concerned with capturing images.

I think Kaftan (and others like him) are just so used to max AA that they can't go back...I've never run at top AA for long so I've never gotten overly used to the look, but I'm sure if I did, I might start to get more picky about it. One's eyes get used to stuff after a while, that's all. I think some people's eyes are also just a lot more sensitive to some things, like how some can hear those very high-pitched electronic whines to a point of distraction and some can't.

I grew up with games that make today's low level of aliasing look like perfect straight lines by comparison so I don't really think about that too much. The resolution tho...different story. ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I still play games in 320*240. :huh:

And the cool thing is, they are still awesome fun to play.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I play them in 1024X728... I don't feel a need to make my computer scream and die in the most horrible way fashionable.

I also play in 1024X728 but cannot seem to find the sweetspot so that the screen doesn't get laggy at all. I've even tried to play it at 800X600 and its still laggy just as much.

I have a 2.4C P4 478 pin

875P Intel Chipset

AGP 8X 6800GT BFG (I don't like this brand name, i don not recommend it)

Soundblaster Live! Value

1gig 3200 RAM

and 200 gig hard drive

I stop my anti virus software and also my privacy settings and it still is a bit choppy. My frames range from 19-60 fps

I tried VSync, that has no effect. Any suggestions?

Its on 4XAA

Billeniar Anistropic setting

Most other effects are maximum.

I feel the harmony between graphic cards and system requirements aren't what they use to be. It use to be bad, now its crap.

Edited by WITHTEETH

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

You need 2GB of ram to get rid of the lagging.  Well, if you are running on max settings and using AA/AF.

I tried it on medium settings and it still did the same kinda lags. And anistropgic is mandetory, so i just put it to billeniear which is the smallest settings.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

This is going to sound stupid, but when I had a SBLiveValue card I had all kinds of game problems that were not related to sound, like choppiness, lag, and crashes. I usually found workarounds on forums but eventually I ditched the thing.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I have a 7800 GTX. Everything else runs awesome on 1680 * 1050 rez except that game! Sheeh don't tell me I gotta wait for the Geforce 8...

The readme suggest NOT running FEAR at any resolution past 1024x768 on any current generation card... I assume this ment GF6... 7 should be already at 1280x1024.. 1600 is a bit too high though. In any case, your FPS are normal for you system/setting.