Should Josh Pull *THIS GUY* Outta retirement?

Sargallath Abraxium

I'm glad Bethesda got the Fallout 3 license. If Troika had gotten it, than perhaps the license would have gone down with the sinking ship. Besthesda's a powerhouse no matter if you like them or not, and they won't fall until a Fallout 3 is released. Oblivion will be a success, that's almost a guarantee, so the funding is almost certain to be there for Fallout. I don't think they'll be able to pull off a sequel that is 100% true to the originals, but I am still giving them the benefit of a doubt. At least now it's getting made. Always a plus!

Also, it seems that because Troika is no more, people on these boards have already begun looking at them through rose coloured glasses. Arcanum was a mess, Temple of Elemental Evil was even worse and Bloodlines, which really had the potential to be a great game, was buggy, unfinished and lacks so much in the last third of the game that it's amazing that you guys praise it as much as you do. Troika never produced anything classic. I am glad they didn't get the Fallout license for more than one reason.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Yes he did. and i agree with all of them.

• "Besthesda's a powerhouse no matter if you like them or not, and they won't fall until a Fallout 3 is released."

True.

• "Oblivion will be a success, that's almost a guarantee, so the funding is almost certain to be there for Fallout."

True.

• "I don't think they'll be able to pull off a sequel that is 100% true to the originals, but I am still giving them the benefit of a doubt."

So am i.

• "Also, it seems that because Troika is no more, people on these boards have already begun looking at them through rose coloured glasses."

True.

But even ToEE makes Morrowind seem like nethack in comparison. Bethesda coudnt make a decent CRPG to save their lives. They started working on Arena in 1992 and theyve pretty much made that exact game over and over again for the last 13years with better graphics being the only change.

I would take a real but buggy CRPG over a polished but completely inane piece of dung like Morrownd any day of the week. Hell, tweaking patches and drivers to get Bloodlines to work is more fun than playing Morrowind :(

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

But even ToEE makes Morrowind seem like nethack in comparison. Bethesda coudnt make a decent CRPG to save their lives. They started working on Arena in 1992 and theyve pretty much made that exact game over and over again for the last 13years with better graphics being the only change.

I would take a real but buggy CRPG over a polished but completely inane piece of dung like Morrownd any day of the week. Hell, tweaking patches and drivers to get Bloodlines to work is more fun than playing Morrowind :(

I'm sure everyone on this board is interested in reading what you think about Morrowind for the umpteenth time (sigh), but the point is still that Morrowind sold a lot better than ToEE, and for a reason. Your personal opinion has no value in this matter.

Only a complete moron would judge an entire company (and even its future games!) based on one title.

the point is still that Morrowind sold a lot better than ToEE, and for a reason.

<insert random comment about Britney Spears here>

Yup, you're proving my point. I'd rather see the company that released the multi million selling Britney get the next Rage Against the Machine album rights than the company that chose to publish Herbie & the Fishmongers.

Noone cares what you think about Britney/Morrowind as an artist/a game.

Yup, you're proving my point. I'd rather see the company that released the multi million selling Britney get the next Rage Against the Machine album rights than the company that chose to publish Herbie & the Fishmongers.

Noone cares what you think about Britney/Morrowind as an artist/a game.

Non sequitur.

Sales have nothing to do with objective product quality. While I'm sure you would argue that Britney Spears is indeed a better artist than Mozart, as her sales volume is by far larger than his, anyone with half a brain can see that it isn't quite so.

Because yes, there are objective parameters one can evaluate and compare between games. One of the most important in story driven games is writing. But you already know that, as you are supposedly a game reviewer.

And there is another non sequitur in that you are making an analogy between the music business and the game industry, where they aren't really that similar. While in your example Britney's publisher could certainly influence the music to some degree, the artist is still the same.

However, Bethesda is going to make a game whose strong points will be that what Bethesda does well, whatever that might be. But they have zero experience doing Fallout games, or anything of the like. But you already know that.

Mind you, I'm not one of Troika's rabid fans and I'll reserve my opinion of F3 until I try it. But I know they aren't going to deliver a game in the same line of the previous titles of the franchise.

So, please. If you want to discuss, I'm all for it. But keep your blatant fallacies to yourself. :(

kthxbai

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I've seen all the gameplay trailers for the new Oblivion game, and really I would have to say you'd have to be an extremely boring sort of person not to be impressed.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

"I don't like this game, therefore it must be garbage."

Always a great argument to both hold, and partake in. Glad to see everyone holds the high ground...

Despite their business practices being deplorable, EA does put out good games, so your raising them doesn't really hold water. All this speculation about whether or not Fallout and/or Oblivion will be good or suck are irrelevent. Any of you guys played either?

All this speculation about whether or not Fallout and/or Oblivion will be good or suck are irrelevent.  Any of you guys played either?

Im just saying that 'a cow dont make ham' :(

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I'm glad Bethesda got the Fallout 3 license. If Troika had gotten it, than perhaps the license would have gone down with the sinking ship. Besthesda's a powerhouse no matter if you like them or not, and they won't fall until a Fallout 3 is released. Oblivion will be a success, that's almost a guarantee, so the funding is almost certain to be there for Fallout. I don't think they'll be able to pull off a sequel that is 100% true to the originals, but I am still giving them the benefit of a doubt. At least now it's getting made. Always a plus!

True, but how is that worth anything to us if the game is going to stink?

I would take a real but buggy CRPG over a polished but completely inane piece of dung like Morrownd any day of the week. Hell, tweaking patches and drivers to get Bloodlines to work is more fun than playing Morrowind :thumbsup:

Emphasis my own.

Nice try Kaftan.

Not only is this a fallacious statement, its lame to the XXX-TREME.

"I don't like this game, therefore it must be garbage."

The Elder Scrolls series is what it is. Of course Morrowind shares a lot with Arena and Daggerfall. Very likely Oblivion will as well. Just like BG1, TotSC, BG2 and ToB were alike. Generally a series tends to appear similar to its predecessor.

But, you guys all know what Fallout 3 is like, so why don't you tell me?

But, you guys all know what Fallout 3 is like, so why don't you tell me?

Thats easy! :thumbsup: Morrowind with guns of course! :))

Not really. Not at all. The description is so vague it holds no real value, and it was exactly the kind of smart-assed reply I expected.

Yeah, it'll be like Morrowind with guns, if you mean that they both take place pimarily in a sandy wasteland, and it'll have guns. It won't have elves, or magical powers, etc...

Ofcourse, the you guys have a better knowledge of the game than I do, since you've clearly already played it. So, hows the dialog system? What about the combat? Are there talking Deathclaws?!?!?!?

This whole scenario is laughable, though I suppose you know that. Otherwise, why would you rely on such a comedic fallback?

Thanks for playing.

All we are really saying is that Bethesda sticks to a certain formula when making their games, a formula that will most likely be completely unsuitable for Fallout 3. Whereas Troika could have given us fans exactly what we wanted.

Its just logic, if a develper makes 3 bad games, the chance is very high that the 4th and 5th wil also be terrible. Even more so when the developer in expressively say that they think their way of making games is the best and that they see no reason to change a successful formula.