Revolution Controller At Work

LoneWolf16

Linky

:blink:

Looks like it'd take some getting used to, though. :ermm:

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Linky

:)

Looks like it'd take some getting used to, though.  :ermm:

I'm sure it would, but with that level of functionality you'd probably play non-stop for a few days and pick it up fairly quickly as a result.

Assuming one is already proficient with FPS games, I imagine no more than a few levels of the Single Player mode would aquaint one with the controls well enough to play at roughly the same level as before. It would just be a matter of mapping the same skills to a new set of buttons.

Personally, I haven't played an FPS since Perfect Dark on the N64, but with the Revolution...yes please! :D

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

That doesn't look so bad. other than the crappy video quality.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

One thing I am curious about, though...given that the analogue stick would be used to move, and left and right on the stick would presumably be used to turn, and the small number of buttons on the remote mean that almost all of them will be used for weapons; how would one move sideways?

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

One thing I am curious about, though...given that the analogue stick would be used to move, and left and right on the stick would presumably be used to turn, and the small number of buttons on the remote mean that almost all of them will be used for weapons; how would one move sideways?

on the analog stick, there are 2 buttons. On the controller, there are 2 obvious buttons. Without holding it, hard to say which buttons you can easily access other than the main two. If you can hit hte directional pad, you get 4 more buttons.

It looks extremely responsive though! Imagine the sword fights you could have with that thing! Or playing baseball.. or Fight Night Round 3.. Argh, the possibilities.. overwhelming me..

Edit: spelling

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

on the analog stick, there are 2 buttons. On the controller, there are 2 obvious buttons. Without holding it, hard to say which buttons you can easily access other than the main two. If you can hit hte directional pad, you get 4 more buttons.

Forgot about the 2 buttons on the analogue part. Strafe left and strafe right would be all that would be necessary in that regard, I guess.

Edited by Reveilled

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Forgot about the 2 buttons on the analogue part.  Strafe left and strafe right would be all that would be necessary in that regard, I guess.

You only need 1 button for strafe

Hmm. It's been a looooooong time since I played an FPS, obviously.

Back when I were a lad, we used two buttons for strafing, and we never complained! Young people today 'ave it too easy!

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Its not supposed to be real, its just demonstrating the potential of the new controller. At first glance it is easy to write off and hard to grasp the

capabilities.

With strafing i thought the analogue stick could handle that. Or possibly the D-pad on the remote itself.

I'm not too bothered about the application in FPS as that would just bring it on par with keyboard and mouse accuracy.

I want to swing swords.

Top Spin would be even more awesome with that controller..

Of course, I woud suck even more at that game, but still.. Federer might get a Revolution at least.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The video clearly says "mockup" so this is just an example of how you theoreticly might be able to use the controller.

But the pictrue I get is that Nintendo will focus on nintendo-esque games, purely console games, and not run ports of PC games or even games that follow the model of classic PC genres such as FPS or RTS.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The controller is idea for FPS and RTS , its probably the best method of RTS control you are likely to get.

It's going to have the same problem as people getting used to a controller as opposed to a mouse keyboard set up. Although this is way more intuative because its a direct translation of your movements into game movement.

In essence it's a long distance mouse, but with way more added functionality. A mouse for example cant be tilted, this can.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

The video clearly says "mockup" so this is just an example of how you theoreticly might be able to use the controller.

But the pictrue I get is that Nintendo will focus on nintendo-esque games, purely console games, and not run ports of PC games or even games that follow the model of classic PC genres such as FPS or RTS.

Nintendo themselves will probably focus on their normal areas like Mario, Zelda, and competely new game concepts, but I'd be surprised if they didn't take advantage of the controllers FPS potential by actively seeking a second or third party to make such games for them. Remember how well Goldeneye and Perfect Dark did on the N64? I certainly hope Nintendo will.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I hope so too , in fact it's inevitable that someone will. Imagine being able to lean just by slightly tilting the controller. :D :D :D

Starfox would be incrdible with this controller too.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0
I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

It certainly sounds good, but Im not sure this will actually work until I get to try it. I mean purely technical you have the issues of repsonse time and precision.

Being able to aim with the controller or tilt it and whatnot is amazing but not if the console doesnt react with 1:1 precision and a delay of no more than a few milliseconds.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I want to swing swords.

I want to swing katanas :lol:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

It certainly sounds good, but Im not sure this will actually work until I get to try it. I mean purely technical you have the issues of repsonse time and precision.

Being able to aim with the controller or tilt it and whatnot is amazing but not if the console doesnt react with 1:1 precision and a delay of no more than a few milliseconds.

I'm sure there'd be sensitivity settings to set for this to happen. Why wouldn't there be this type of precision?

I'm sure there'd be sensitivity settings to set for this to happen. Why wouldn't there be this type of precision?

Because Kaftan's hatred of consoles disallows the possibility of anything interesting and innovative being associated with a console.

Edited by Surreptishus