Taking turn base action out of RPGs...

Guest MacLeodCorp

Do you think RPGs should have turn base action?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think RPGs should have turn base action?

• Yes, RPGs should be turn based.
    • No, RPGs should have a flow in action.
    • Some other resolution needs to be done.

Judge Hades, you really should play Bloodlines. Pirate it, if you can't stand paying the odd buck. You're missing a part of modern rpg history here. If for nothing else, then you could play it to give more merit to your arguments over the good an bad of crpgs nowadays.

If I see it in the bargin bin for $10 I will probabl pick it up but I don't pirate games. Not any more.

ToEE is one of the worst games I've ever played, and Bloodlines one of the best. Just goes to show that developers can learn from their mistakes. Unless of course Atari is the publisher :thumbsup:

icon14.gif

BL is good; but nowhere near that level. Not with the bugs, and some of the worst combat ever. Not to mention the unevenness of the story and role-playing progression.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

^Agreed.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Just goes to show that developers can learn from their mistakes.

Actually...NOT. Troika made that totally unbelievably stupid mistake of thinking that they could pull both ToEE and Bloodlines off at the same time. All the tech-heads went into ToEE and all the creative minds into Bloodlines. Dum!! Combined it would have totally ruled... Sheesh.

(Signatures: disabled) 

But never never never give it to Marcus.

Friendly fire isn't.

Never give Marcus an automatic. He'll blast you to bits. I give him the Turbo Plasma rifle, nervously of course.

I always give him a minigun :wub:

I guess I'm just one of the few who see him as a fire and forget weapon and stay the heck out of the way :)

I did that once. He chunked me and Vic. :(

Blame Vic, that's what I always do :)

BL is good; but nowhere near that level. Not with the bugs, and some of the worst combat ever. Not to mention the unevenness of the story and role-playing progression.

It is an interesting phenomenon that RP usually starts out great, but as games progress (not just Bloodlines), it becomes increasingly hack and slash with less roleplaying elements.

They probably spend a lot of time working on the first couple of areas, then realise they only have a couple of months left.

Jade Empire was more or less the same. You had a very uneven chapter distribution and the last level could have just been the Star Forge with a different skin.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0
I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Silent Storm is not really an RPG. It has some elements, but it has even less than Jagged Alliance 2, which I wouldn't really call an RPG either. But then we are just arguing about the definition of RPG...

Bloodlines is awesome, but I doubt its for everyone. It's heavy on the Vampire stuff. It's dark and has lots of cleavage.

I just want more games where combat isn't the entire focus. I'm partial to TB because I'm slow.

Bloodlines is awesome, but I doubt its for everyone. It's heavy on the Vampire stuff. It's dark and has lots of cleavage.

It's a great game.

I thought the combat could have been a hole lot better though. You'd think a game using a the source engine would have much better physics. It felt like I was playing GTA3. <_<

Edited by Haitoku

I can't really stand any of the licensed music. Sure, it fits the world feel very well, but I try to avoid most of the havens because of it.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I don't know. I don't dig goth joints anyway. Maybe that's the reason?

kirottu said:

Just goes to show that developers can learn from their mistakes.

Actually...NOT. Troika made that totally unbelievably stupid mistake of thinking that they could pull both ToEE and Bloodlines off at the same time. All the tech-heads went into ToEE and all the creative minds into Bloodlines. Dum!! Combined it would have totally ruled... Sheesh.

I've completed Bloodlines five times, and I've only run into 1 bug, which the patch dealt with nicely. Secondly, the combat is not bad. It is just different from ordinary roleplaying games. I'm one of the biggest Baldur's Gate fans out there, and I stille rate CRPG's like this:

1. Planescape: Torment

2. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines

3. Baldur's Gate

4. Fallout

5. KotOR

I don't really care about technical mistakes or combat when I'm playing a CRPG, because it's about roleplaying. ToEE, NWN and games like that didn't offer 1% of that in their games.

You see, the problem isn't exactly combat, but the sad fact that there was just oo much of it in the game. THe ropleplaying parts were the best and possibly the most immersive in ever, but the las third of the game was just too much.

The other problem is that you're a fanboy. We know the type.

kirottu said:

Hmm, my RPG list goes like this:

1. Might and Magic 3 (introduced me to the genre)

2. Fallout (brought me back to the genre)

3. Baldurs Gate

4. Daggerfall (just because I played it forever)

5. KotOR (first game I played through in a long while)

Lists? Oh goody.

-100. Torment

1. Baldur's Gate 2(introduced me to the genre)

2. Gothic 1(just very enjoyable)

3. Fallout 2

4. Icewind Dale 2

5. FF 6

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said: