Comics

Oerwinde

Just wondering what comics you all read. My personal favorites are Lucifer, Preacher, and Transmetropolitan in that order, though I also like me some superhero stuff like marvel's Ultimate line and The Authority. Dreamwave's Transformers series was looking really good until Dreamwave went belly up from mismanagement. Anyway, someone said we needed a new comic thread so I figured I'd start one.

Favorite Writer: Warren Ellis

Favorite Artist: Don Figueroa or Chris Bachalo.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I like to read artsy comics that arent really comics but rather graphic novels or illustrated books. Sweden also has a very strong underground of really bizarre and fun art comics that isnt quite like anything else youll find on earth.

Favorite Writer: Alan Moore

Favorite Artist: Dave McKean

Current Favorite Book: Alan Moore's & Eddie Campbell's From Hell

But I did read most of the Ultimate X-men and found it very enjoyable. Marvel comics became unreadable in the mid-90s when they not only switched to a childish asian-inspired style but also spread out storyline over several titles, forcing you to buy 5-6 magazines every month to keep up.

Oh, and Ill have to say. Manga/anime is the worst thing to happen to comics since the "comics code" :ermm:

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Oh, and Ill have to say. Manga/anime is the worst thing to happen to comics since the "comics code" :wacko:

Why? WHY KAFTAN WHY!? :D

Enough was enough when this abomination saw the light of day:

shi_vampirella.jpg

The "Vampirella vs. Shi" manga issue where someone thought it was a great idea

to put manga-styled heads upon our western heroines, turning the whole issue into

some kind of pseudo-pedophilistic travesty of all that is good and true :ermm:"

This is what youd expect a Vampirella/Shi crossover to look like:

Vamp-Shi-1-Full.jpg

p.s : yes I know that Shi is about ninjas and stuff and is very japanophilistic but its still a western comic that in no way benefits from being horrendously butchered like that.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Warren Ellis/Garth Ennis/Kev Walker.

Preacher, Transmetropolitan, Judge Dredd. In that order.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Oh, and Ill have to say. Manga/anime is the worst thing to happen to comics since the "comics code" :ermm:

Why? WHY KAFTAN WHY!? :D

My favourite manga that I have read is MPD Psycho.

My favourite western comic is The Sandman.

Some manga influenced stuff is good, the whole amalgamation of western and eastern styles like some of Joe Madureira's stuff is good.

I think the major problem with Manga style, and it was the same problem western comics had for a long time too, is that it all generally looks the same. Yes there are exceptions, but for the most part it all looks the same. Western comics had that problem too until a few years ago, then they started getting a whole shwack of different artists with their own styles.

Oh, and Frank Quitely should not be allowed near a pencil again.

Devastatorsig.jpg

First off; I agree. Some characters(like E) he did wondrously, but the rest just look off. Only thing I didn't like in New X-men, as Morrinson's work was astounding.

Secondly; thanks for hearing my plea. :D

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

First off; I agree. Some characters(like E) he did wondrously, but the rest just look off. Only thing I didn't like in New X-men, as Morrinson's work was astounding.

Secondly; thanks for hearing my plea. :D

Frank Quitely makes everyone looks bloated. They're all puffy with puckered lips and everyone has the same face. Jean Grey just looks like professor X with lipstick and red hair. I didn't read New X-Men solely because I didn't want to look at that art. I'm bad like that. I'll miss out on really good comics simply because I can't stand the art. Thats why I haven't read Sin City.

Oh, and no prob.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I feel sorry for you, as you can't take the art. Still, it really is worth reading. After reading Morrison, Austen and co feel very flimsy and superficial. A,tought the ending(Here comes Tomorrow) doesn't really cut it. Too much Ages of Apocalypse and too little Future Past if you ask me. Beast as a villain was interesting, that's for sure, but the whole anticell-nemesis thing felt off. But I'll stop now to avoid spoiling you. :D

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Favorite writers: Gail Simone, Judd Winnick, and Troy Hickman

Favorite Books: Deadpool vs Cable, Green Lantern (yays Hals back!), Astonishing X-men

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Is that how this goes? Well...

Favorite writers: I'm almost sure Gaiman goes here, though I can't say for Sandman as my experience of that is nearly nil, but his other works, including for example Death and Marvel: 1604 were nothing short of great. Another good one is of course Morrison, then there's Miller(Sin City, The Dark Knight Returns) and Mignola(Hellboy). I see no point adding a few finnish ones, as their names will say nothing to you. Mainly underground and barbarian stuff. Somebody might have seen Pauli Hiltunen's Elric and Conan illustrations, but I rather doubt that.

As for fav artists; I can't say for sure. It's a mood thing, really. Sometimes Leinil Yu's(lots of Marvel stuff) incredibly sharp line work charms me to no end and then other times Zulli's(Sandman, TMNT, etc) scribbles look grand. But there's one illustrator whom never seems to fail, and that's Adam Kubert(Bat, Origin, 1604). Granted; he usually has high end aftercoloring to really get the images to shine, but I love his work all the same. Some manga is also neato, like Hellsing(sometimes looks like retched blood though:D) for instance, but I can't really name any artists.

Hem hem... I like Ultimate X-Men. :mellow: There. I wrote it. Now you can laugh.

Edit: Who's the one drawing LoEG? I've been trying to get to the comic for ages, but I just can't get myself to like the art.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

Well I'm gonna take this back to the old school a little. I used to really enjoy comics growing up, and that carried a bit through to my adult years, but now I just don't feel like shelling out that much coin for comics. Back in the day they used to be like 35 cents for a new ish. Now comic bags cost more than that, don't they?

I actually sold all the comics I had been accumulating when I met my last girlfriend. Which kinda sucked, because I had pretty much the entire AoA run. All I have left now is a signed set of X-Man 1-4. I can't see the value really skyrocketing on that one.

But back in the day I really enjoyed the Teen Titans by Wolfman/Perez, Legion of Super Heroes by Giffen/Mahlsted, and pretty much anything else my parents would let me buy. Hell, I even remember the issue of Secret Wars when Spideys black costume made its debut.

And I thought Kingdom Come was about the best series I'd read since Frank Millers' the Dark Knight Returns.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I read alot of X-men comics .. but I must admit I've never been much of a comic-book reader!

Mostly because the ones I've picked up were to childish imo .. X-men is as well in some regards, but better than the majority on the danish marked!

Fortune favors the bald.

What usually bothers me about comics isnt usually the pencils but the colouring. Not even mentioning the horrors of the past(which makes Watchmen and V for Vendetta hard to read) we often see good or atleast adequate pencilwork completely ruined by some hack with a cheap tablet and Photoshop. Look at this frame from "Lady Death"

ladydbadcolour.jpg

The colourist has completely mashed Lady D's face with some really stinky colouring. This is exceptionally bad.

Edit: Who's the one drawing LoEG? I've been trying to get to the comic for ages, but I just can't get myself to like the art.

Kevin O'Neil. And I like it, its very appropriate for the comic.

I also like 2 sets of manga... King of Hell (it's done by the guy who did "warcraft: sunwell trilogy") and Battle Angel Alita (yes I have the entire origional series and now have the 6 books of Lost Order)

Alita messes with your brain more than Ghost in the shell but still manages to make it clear what's up. Ghost in the Shell I just get completly lost for the last 1/4 of the book.

I like the new take on the Titans. They made Impulse less of an idiot and brought Raven back as a human.

JLA has gotten to be an "eh" comic for me.

Avengers is fun tho. And it has a heck of a lot of little laughs in it.

And I also read the COH comic that you can get online. the first three issues were done by Mark Waid of "JLA year One" and "Kingdom Come" fame. the next three were by Troy Hickman from "Common Grounds". He's never won an Eisner (only because he lost to Gaiman the year he was put up for it), but he does quite good. Of course you should ALWAYS OBEY TROY HICKMANS PANTS!

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Is that how this goes? Well...

Favorite writers: I'm almost sure Gaiman goes here, though I can't say for Sandman as my experience of that is nearly nil

The best thing about Sandman was that it lead to the Lucifer series, which is my favorite comic of all time. Sandman was a tad too random for me, though it was still good enough to buy.

As for liking Ultimate X-Men. Don't be embarassed. Its my favorite superhero comic. Most people say the Ultimates is the best of the Ultimate line, but I disagree. Though killing Beast was a big no no in my book. Then again maybe he's back, I'm like almost a year behind on that one I think. I need a decent job so I can afford comics AND DVDs. I make enough to afford one or the other, and unfortunately the DVDs win.

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

What usually bothers me about comics isnt usually the pencils but the colouring. Not even mentioning the horrors of the past(which makes Watchmen and V for Vendetta hard to read) we often see good or atleast adequate pencilwork completely ruined by some hack with a cheap tablet and Photoshop.

Then you will be happy to learn a collectors edition of Watchmen just came out with the colors completely remastered :thumbsup:

What usually bothers me about comics isnt usually the pencils but the colouring. Not even mentioning the horrors of the past(which makes Watchmen and V for Vendetta hard to read) we often see good or atleast adequate pencilwork completely ruined by some hack with a cheap tablet and Photoshop.

Then you will be happy to learn a collectors edition of Watchmen just came out with the colors completely remastered :thumbsup:

Dude... Seriously? I bought it anyway despite the horrible 80s coloring with all the bright pinks and oranges and clashing blues and such and loved it, but with decent coloring it would be even more of a masterpiece.

Edit: Just looked it up, but can't find any shots of the interior of the damn thing. I've seen the cover before, its the same as the paperback version, I want to see what the remastered art looks like.

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg