LS or DS?

Which path was more enjoyable for you and why?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Which path was more enjoyable for you and why?

• Lightside
    • Gray
    • Darkside

i personally like the darkside ending . the LS ending in kotor 1 could also be another type of DS ending because revan and bastila fall in love and LOVE will eventually lead them to the darkside. that is why it is forbidden 4 jedi to love. it is only natural after all love was one of the reasons anakin turned 2 d darkside oh and 1 more thing...

THE DARKSIDE RULZ :devil:

Edited by Lord Gabreil

Even though I play in the grey zone, going all out on a killing spree and being a jerk to those in your party can be fun. I didn't like either ending for the game.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Keeping in mind that this is Star Wars and not reality.

Ahh... *dryly* I think I might have figured that out, thanks. But like any fiction, Star Wars is a piece of reality, a reflection of life, which is why we're sitting here discussing this in the first place. If you didn't think so, you wouldn't have had an opinion to share.

Anakin's feelings were obviously overdone but to a certain degree most people feel this feeling of helplessness. When your in love don't you dedicate yourself to that person? Isn't it right to help that person? It's a question that many protagonist from many other stories are faced with. Were they wrong? That's where I think Right/Wrong or LS/DS is smeared.

I love Anakin. He's a fascinating character, in my opinion. I don't see any human being as black or white completely--Anakin has good qualities. But the Light Side action would've been to sacrifice personal needs and allow life to happen. Again, Padme would've become one with the Force--she would not have suffered after she died. HE would have been the one suffering, without her alive and by his side. His emotions were strong... they were not wrong. But what he did WAS wrong.

All those people Anakin murdered had loved ones, too. He counted the loved ones of others as meaning less than his own. He was willing to slaughter children so that he would retain the pleasure of Padme's company. Very human, very loving, in a sense... but also very selfish, and quite, quite wrong.

I don't care how much you love someone. Murdering civilians--babies--for them is not ever, EVER right. Sympathetic, perhaps, but still clearly wrong.

Even Anakin knew that.

I understand that sometimes the line between good and evil is not clear. I understand human beings have complex emotions and highly debatable philosophies. I understand that there are choices so close that there is no outcome which will NOT be soul-wrenching and conscience-tearing. But in those cases, the 'right thing' to do is whatever, objectively, is the least likely to cause the worst harm. The lesser evil, if you must choose between two.

In the case of Revan, I feel what (s)he did was... actually the right thing. It wrought terrible consequences, but as Atton says in KOTOR 2, "the Mandalorians were slaughtering us by the millions." The Jedi Council were, to me, the evil ones in this case, deciding to sit back and wait as a tactical advantage rather than even TRY to do what they supposedly existed to do (protect and sacrifice). Maybe I'll change my mind if I find out they had better reasons than were shown thus far, but at this point I look upon most of them as self-serving hypocritical cowards interested in saving their own skins--with the exception of Vandar, Yoda's granddaddy. He's the only one I saw who seemed actually wise and good.

But I digress.

In closing, as much as I love those close to me, I hope I would have the strength to sacrifice them for the lives of many if I ever had to... and I hope they would do the same--sacrifice me, if they had to. I don't feel myself more deserving of existence than the loved ones of others. (Unless said others are proven to be a band of pure puppy-murdering jerks or something, in which case, let 'em fry.)

Ahhh love it's a bittersweet rollercoaster...

Now, that I'll toast to.

i ain't a wicked person but the DS gives you more freedom unlike the LS. the DS is more like doing what u want to do whereas the lightside is more of doing things 4 people.(that is annoying now dont u think)

The Dark Side... doing what you want. In other words, surrendering to every fit of temper you have like a child. Which is fun at times... :) But I don't find it very appealing except as an occasional stress reliever. Or to do something I REALLY wanted to do the first time, such as kill Vrook or mouth off to somebody who deserved it. Yep, I admit it.

It might be annoying to 'do things for people', but then, it's not so annoying when they do things for you, is it? Karma, buddy. Karma. And even beyond that, helping someone who truly needs it just gives ya this warm, fuzzy feeling inside... in real life, as in Star Wars, the 'Light' path is harder, but mostly because few people bother to choose it. If everyone did, I doubt it would be so difficult. As it is, everyone is content to fester and rot in bitterness and quiet loathing.

I do think you should be able to kill that evil son of a Sith Vrook without getting Dark Side points. My dad agrees.

i personally like the darkside ending . the LS ending in kotor 1 could also be another type of DS ending because revan and bastila fall in love and LOVE will eventually lead to the darkside. that is why it is forbidden 4 jedi to love. after all love was one of the reasons anakin turned 2 d darkside

Ahem. Jolee.

The Jedi Council are the only idiots who say that love leads to the Dark Side, and they're idiots. Even the Sith are wary of love. Love isn't evil. That's pure silliness.

Like Jolee says, you've got to control your passions--it's ill control of the passions that leads to the Dark Side, not the love itself. Love is inherently good. End of story.

Somone needs to do something to the board code. That breaking of quotes is annoying.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

the darkside isn't always about killing people stupidly or for no reason at all. it is the game that makes it look that way.

it is not easy to control love. love may not lead to the darkside but the chances of that happening are slim. jolee i believe was in love before and he will obviously say that true love dosn't lead to the dark side. jolee is one jedi, the council isn't made up of one jedi. Yoda also knows the dangers of true love . as long as Revan loves bastila, he will not want to loose her no matter what and fear of loss leads to the darkside..............

Well, I usually play LS first, but it is just because most games have a much better storyline for a good character and s/he can also do almost all sidequests, even those without in-game rewards. An evil character's storyline usually feels unsatisfactory and tacked-on and evil actions are those of a dumb brute. KOTOR1 was a prime example of this. I could barely finish the evil playthrough because of it.

Having said that, I am now playing an evil Consular in KOTOR2 and it is absolutely great! In fact, the whole "bounty hunter" segment is much better with Hanharr than with Mira and makes more sense. Betrayal upon betrayal, quite powerful. I like how you can support different factions, how other characters react to your deeds and how dialogues subtly change. It is also possible to play a manipulative clever villain, although achieving dark mastery this way, if at all possible, probably takes a while. It is one of the few games, however, where playing evil you get to experience the game as fully as playing good.

Oh, it is not perfect, there are some things that could have been done better. For instance, I'd have liked to roleplay as if the PC is bitter, desillusioned, disbelieves the explanations of the Jedi Masters and blames them for his for intial condition. I'd have also liked to be able to fake sympathy towards my companions, to lie to them, to talk them into accepting actions they dislike, if my Cha/persuade are high enough. Etc. But even so, evil path of KOTOR2 is very fun and miles ahead of the original game and in fact most CRPGs. IIRC , only PST has a comparably well-fleshed out evil option.

i personally like the darkside ending . the LS ending in kotor 1 could also be another type of DS ending because revan and bastila fall in love and LOVE will eventually lead them to the darkside. that is why it is forbidden 4 jedi to love. it is only natural after all love was one of the reasons anakin turned 2 d darkside oh and 1 more thing...

THE DARKSIDE RULZ :-

The shift key allows you to make CAPITAL letters.

Ki-Adi-Mundi had a wife.

Luke had a wife.

A lot of Jedi had wives and husbands. It doesn't always lead to the Darkside.

Ki-Adi-Mundi had a wife.

Luke had a wife.

A lot of Jedi had wives and husbands. It doesn't always lead to the Darkside.

It's an iffy thing. Some people can control their emotions os it doesn't undo them like those two you mentioned. In others like Anakin, we all so what happened when he lost control of his emotions.

I think the Jedi Order would prefer to error on the side of caution, no marraiges, involvement with another person romantically than risk someone who can't handle it and go darkside.

There is a difference between being evil and monstrous, imo. Often overlooked in D&D cRPG's, where they both count towards the same alignment. There's a humanity rating in Vampire TM, which is nice guiding line. Being humanly darkside that's my intent. It was more fun in K1 than in TSL, imo.

Off-topic: Sacrificing beauty for power, really seems to be the way of the Jedi, somehow, more than of the Sith, which are so emotional. Disfigurement is really just a symptom of insufficiency of the vessel, imo. They may have the inclination, but they don't have the strength of body. Anyway...

It was really fun and educative to play DS in K1. Having HK-47 and Canderous in the party was really an inspiration on Korriban and following the tutelage of the sith was something I missed in TSL, where a similar experience or guidance would have been really nice.

Balancing the line between evil or monstrous can so easily get out of hand. It requires skill to be DS and it's also quite taxing. You don't have to think to play LS, just be a nice person and do good all the time and everything is fine. It makes me wanna puke sometimes.

(Signatures: disabled) 

While I go LS for influence, quests, and the fact I like it better when Disciple likes me rather than reviles me, I said grey since I also do some darkside stuff here and there.

DS is fun tho...I like 'corrupting' my team members.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yah, Jedi warn against strong emotions... love definitely qualifies. :lol:

My point exactly!! strong emotions CAN lead to d darkside of the force. and through the way i figure it, Bastila and Revan love each other, and because of their bond they obviously have strong emotions for one another. the LS ending could be another kind of darkside ending to me. do you know what i'm getting at?

Vashanti knows what i am trying to say at least.

like yoda said, the fear of loss is a path 2 d darkside. this brings me back to what i am a trying to say.......

the darkside rules!!!! play kotor 2 and become a sithlord. only then will u expirience the full power of the darkside.(4 peeps that haven't played DS )

Bingo... better safe than sorry for the council <_<

That's the problem with the Jedi Council is that they are overly cautious. They need to lighten up have fun once in a while.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Yah, Jedi warn against strong emotions... love definitely qualifies.  :(

My point exactly!! strong emotions CAN lead to d darkside of the force. and through the way i figure it, Bastila and Revan love each other, and because of their bond they obviously have strong emotions for one another.

Nah, it's not love... Some of the borderline cases and mentally deranged crazy stalkers have an unhealthy tendency to confuse love with obsession, jealousy, etc...it's when things get dirty around you that you can get smudged...unless you got a strong psyche. Bastila didn't have that.

Nah, it's not love... Some of the borderline cases and mentally deranged crazy stalkers have an unhealthy tendency to confuse love with obsession, jealousy, etc...it's when things get dirty around you that you can get smudged...unless you got a strong psyche.  Bastila didn't have that.

Well lets see how much torture you can take from a sith lord before turning. It was inevitable for her and anyone else in her position.

Nah, it's not love... Some of the borderline cases and mentally deranged crazy stalkers have an unhealthy tendency to confuse love with obsession, jealousy, etc...it's when things get dirty around you that you can get smudged...unless you got a strong psyche.  Bastila didn't have that.

Well lets see how much torture you can take from a sith lord before turning. It was inevitable for her and anyone else in her position.

You speak as if utterly offended, but Bastila was ripe for the picking - by anyone...and readily turns her back on her newfound masters when faced with a superior force (any force is, compared to her). Completely untrustworthy opportunistic sort...and she admits it too.

edit: something admittedly snuck out.

Edited by Janmanden

"P.S. How many posts per day is it natural to do? "

There's no fixed amount. I think you're fine with your 9.4 right now.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds