Deus Ex

Mojo

On the other hand, I think it was possible to have

Howard

kill himself by using the augmentation that triggers the destruction of incoming projectiles or grenades - since he lobs LAMs at you, the trick would be that they would explode on his face. Don't remember testing this, however.

Oh yeah, I rememeber that fool.. I had to play that part twice just to figure out what happened.

One moment I'm walking around, and another something explodes in the distance. :ermm:"

What about

Walton Simons? or is that the Howard that you speak of?

All in all the game basically caused the FPS genre to take a good hard look at itself and see what was wrong. before this came out story was secondary to "KILL SMASH MAIM DESTROY... in a fashion that made it fairly difficult." Then with the creation of this the Story became somthing everyone had to add to their game.

I'm confused.

I thought you were talking about

Walter Simons

, too: who is

Howard

? :thumbsup:

Are you referring to

Bob Page

, or the **** in the silo?

Damn, now I want to play it again! I tell you what, that game has the magic: it just sucks me in to play it every time I think of it (sings: I always catch my breath) ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Oh yeah, I rememeber that fool.. I had to play that part twice just to figure out what happened.

One moment I'm walking around, and another something explodes in the distance.  :thumbsup:"

What about

Walton Simons? or is that the Howard that you speak of?

All in all the game basically caused the FPS genre to take a good hard look at itself and see what was wrong. before this came out story was secondary to "KILL SMASH MAIM DESTROY... in a fashion that made it fairly difficult." Then with the creation of this the Story became somthing everyone had to add to their game.

It's a shame only Deus Ex has gotten it right though.

System shock 2 did horror the best though.

Ah. Thank you. I thought that as I was typing, as there wasn't too many others left ... oh-oh ... resistance is falling ... must play Deus Ex again ...

Hehe. I just went through the same thing a few months earlier.

My Deus Ex content in my blood is still high for me to resist though. Though the antibodies only last for so long.

Ah. Thank you. I thought that as I was typing, as there wasn't too many others left ... oh-oh ... resistance is falling ... must play Deus Ex again ...

With your avatar I'm surprised you don't play it once per week :thumbsup:

I have a high ambient dosage, due to my reading habits, so I tend to resist for a while. I was playing through a couple of weeks ago and stopped (I was trying to do a "perfect game" and restarting levels to get every secret, etc, and it took a lot of the fun out).

I still have to replay to test alanschu's assertion that I can equip JC with all the biomods at once. Oh and NOT

kill Navarre at the airport

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

All in all the game basically caused the FPS genre to take a good hard look at itself and see what was wrong.

I think that honor is probably best reserved for games like Thief and System Shock 2 - Deus Ex was just a logical extension of the type of gameplay those two presented.

Same body part, isn't that what you meant?

Hmmm, I don't remember my quote. I'm pretty sure I never said you could have more than the number of slots.

But I do think that you can take both of the modules from the same type of canister if you have the space permitting. That is, getting aqualung does not exclude you from using one of your chest upgrades for the ability to take less damage from toxic fumes.

Deus Ex is not an FPS/RPG hybrid, it's an action/adventure with RPG elements. Contrary to popular opinion a first person perspective and use of firearms does not make a game an FPS (I remember when the first video of Bloodlnes was released people commenting, "Oh, it's an FPS).

A shooter, funnily enough, revolves around shootin' ****, and both Deus Ex games, which allow you avoid shooting for the majority of tha game cannot be classified as shooters any more than Far Cry can be classified as a driving game because it offers the occasionaly bit of vehicular action.

Deus Ex hasn't done a damn thing for the FPS genre, which is still pretty much the same as it has always been. Some FPS have more of a focus on story while for others the story is just an excuse, some feature limited stealth sections, many now feature a limited weapon selection making you think about what you carry, and NOLF2 even had you earn experience and improve different skills, but the FPS genre is pretty much the same as it always was, with only minor changes here and there. Being one of my favourite games I wish more games were inspired by it but it's simply not the case.

Boiling Point is about the only game that really owes anything to Deus Ex. Thief was clearly an inspiration on Splinter Cell (though Sc was made to rival MGS), but other stealth games (such as Stolen and Cold War) are inspired more by Splinter Cell.

And I managed to play it as an RPG with FPS elements.

Wouldn't that be the same thing? :)

That depends.. Did you also run around in panic with your arms above your head, screaming like a little girl whenever someone took a shot at you?

If not, no. :ermm:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

And I managed to play it as an RPG with FPS elements.

Wouldn't that be the same thing? :)

That depends.. Did you also run around in panic with your arms above your head, screaming like a little girl whenever someone took a shot at you?

If not, no. :)

No, I ran around lighting people up with a flamethrower :ermm:

Deus Ex is not an FPS/RPG hybrid, it's an action/adventure with RPG elements.

sorry, but it played like a fps/rpg hybrid to me.

How you play it is irrelevant, what matters is how everyone can play it. Blowing the crapola outta everything is the only way shooters are generally played, whereas in Deus Ex it's just one way to play. A game that allows you to play through the entire thing relying on stealth and avoiding combat is not a shooter.