Elder Scrolls IV missing Xbox 360 launch

kumquatq3

Although the Xbox 360 goes on sale in just over three weeks, Microsoft still hasn't announced the final day-of launch game lineup for the console. However, gamers can now scratch one of the next-platform's most anticipated titles off their holiday shopping lists.

In a conference call with analysts today, Take-Two Interactive announced that The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is being delayed until the second quarter of its next fiscal year, which runs from February to April 2006. While this is still technically within Microsoft's 14-week "launch window" for the Xbox 360, it means that the game will not be on sale when the console arrives in stores on November 22.

Paul Eibeler, Take-Two's President and CEO, said that quality assurance was the reason for the delay. "We are moving the launch of Elder Scrolls IV to our 2nd quarter, based on the Bethesda Softworks requiring additional development time to ensure the title meets gamers' high expectations for this popular franchise," he said. The date change will also affect the PC version of the game, which was slated to ship simultaneously.

The delay is surprising, as an October 6 Reuters report apparently confirmed Oblivion for the Xbox 360 launch. As it was the sole role-playing game for the console slated for release in 2005, it was also featured in many 360 bundles offered by online retailers.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is developed by Bethesda Softworks and is published under Take-Two's 2K Games subbrand. Its delay reduced the number of Take-Two Xbox 360 launch titles to five games: NBA 2K6 , NHL 2K6, Amped 3, Top Spin 2, and College Hoops 2K6.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6136973.html

Nah they will throw a lot of money at it like with the Xbox. Although I think if they fail to make any money this time around as well, having stripped the hardware to bare minimum , then you wont see an Xbox 3.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

However, gamers can now scratch one of the next-platform's most anticipated titles off their holiday shopping lists.
What does Bethesda's decision on Oblivion have to do with the success of the Xbox 360?

Some retailers had even bundled the Xbox 360 and Oblivion for a launch package.

It will probably not affect the Xbox 360 in the long term, but on launch day it will have an impact, I am sure.

Edit: Spelling..

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

However, gamers can now scratch one of the next-platform's most anticipated titles off their holiday shopping lists.
What does Bethesda's decision on Oblivion have to do with the success of the Xbox 360?

Some retailers had even bundled the Xbox 360 and Oblivion for a launch package.

It will probably not affect the Xbox 360 in the long term, but on launch day it will have an impact, I am sure.

Edit: Spelling..

Oblivion was never officially a launch day title - everyone that was anticipating the game knew this, everyone that wasn't anticipating the game, had no clue when it was due to launch.

Retailers offering bundles - that's their own problem - but the core of the fanbase knew a 11-22 release wasn't happening for the game. As, like always, Bethesda continually said so on their forums.

Edited by Epiphany

Oblivion was never officially a launch day title - everyone that was anticipating the game knew this, everyone that wasn't anticipating the game, had no clue when it was due to launch.

It was for Europe the last release before the huge delay because the game is buggy was that it will miss the US launch but be ready for the European one.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

They (Micosoft) are on schedule to deliver three blockbuster launch titles - which is more than the PS2 had at launch.

Well it's part of a greater picture of slippage. Oblivion isnt the only title to disapear into next year.

It appears to be happening to anything that isnt just a facelift of a previous game.Gotham Racing for example.

The current generation consoles havnt exactly given up the ghost yet so the 360 dosnt look as impressive as the PS2 did in comparison to the PS1. Especially when the PS2 launched with a new media and the 360 is just carrying on with the same one as the Xbox.

478327[/snapback]

Well it's part of a greater picture of slippage. Oblivion isnt the only title to disapear into next year.

Yeah, it pretty much is. Their other "big budget" titles are all still on track for launch.

It appears to be happening to anything that isnt just a facelift of a previous game.Gotham Racing for example.

Yeah, cause their other two massive launch games which the majority of fans are highly anticipating are just facelifts. Kameo is a facelift of Kameo -1 and Condemned is just another facelift from Condemned -1.

The current generation consoles havnt exactly given up the ghost yet so the 360 dosnt look as impressive as the PS2 did in comparison to the PS1. Especially when the PS2 launched with a new media and the 360 is just carrying on with the same one as the Xbox.

That's simply because you're unable to distinguish the difference between FMV and real time game footage. 1st gen PS2 games were not that drastically different from 5th gen PS1 games - they were better, but not the leaps and bounds that everyone seems to recall. The PS2 launch was dismal, and was only saved by their BC ability, so that the masses could still play their FF games and whatnot. Everyone recalls the PS2 as being amazing, because they just remember the demos shown that never happen, such as the overly ambitious Getaway video, in which Sony claimed was running in real time. Of course, screen captures from that video and screen shots from the final version tell a brutally different story. That's why BC is on everyones mind for this launch - because people remember playing more PS1 games on their PS2 in the launch window than actual PS2 games. If, on the other hand, you have a strong launch, with 3 killer launch titles, and the standard sports titles for the Madden diehards, you've successfully captured the casual audience with next generation offerings, and have given the hardcore fanbase a selection of new games to play that aren't "crap" like many launch titles are.

The Xbox had Halo at launch, that was it - the X360 has three big games - no matter how negative you choose to be on it, those games appeal to all types of gamers, with a 1st person game, a racing game and an action/adventure game, added to the EA sports games for the sports fans and CoD2 for the FPS fans, and you've covered all your bases with higher than average games for the respective crowds.

It's an undeniable fact that X360 games, by the most part, are grossly superior to current generation offerings from a visual standpoint. Higher resolution textures, better FSAA, greater draw distance, higher resolution of 720p and 1080i being minimum, vs the 480i requirements of this gen, better shadding, better modeling, better game engines, etc... Since you seem hellbent on claiming they're all "facelifts" from current gen games (which were successful), then I'd guess by your twisted logic, that the X360 has the best line up of all time, and will be the most successful console in history. :mellow:

There are several factors as to why DVD-9 is a better choice in the eyes of a normal consumer and from a gaming standpoint. It's cheaper - which allows them to continue on other hardware upgrades. The access speed is faster, as a 1X Blu-Ray drive will be slower than a 12X DVD drive. While no official word has been said, nearly every source is pointing to a 1X Blu-Ray drive in the PS3, since the cost will only get worse if upgraded to a 2X or higher. Compression technology is better than last generation as well, and seeing as 90% (J Allard's quote) of all Xbox games barely used 3 gig on their discs, they felt that staying with DVD-9 was a logical choice. It again, goes to the fact that developers, with better engines, don't have to use FMV to show large scale sequences. More stuff will be in game, driving disc space requirements down.

Yeah, it pretty much is.  Their other "big budget" titles are all still on track for launch.

Yeah, cause their other two massive launch games which the majority of fans are highly anticipating are just facelifts.  Kameo is a facelift of Kameo -1 and Condemned is just another facelift from Condemned -1.

That's simply because you're unable to distinguish the difference between FMV and real time game footage.  1st gen PS2 games were not that drastically different from 5th gen PS1 games - they were better, but not the leaps and bounds that everyone seems to recall.  The PS2 launch was dismal, and was only saved by their BC ability, so that the masses could still play their FF games and whatnot.  Everyone recalls the PS2 as being amazing, because they just remember the demos shown that never happen, such as the overly ambitious Getaway video, in which Sony claimed was running in real time.  Of course, screen captures from that video and screen shots from the final version tell a brutally different story.  That's why BC is on everyones mind for this launch - because people remember playing more PS1 games on their PS2 in the launch window than actual PS2 games.  If, on the other hand, you have a strong launch, with 3 killer launch titles, and the standard sports titles for the Madden diehards, you've successfully captured the casual audience with next generation offerings, and have given the hardcore fanbase a selection of new games to play that aren't "crap" like many launch titles are.

The Xbox had Halo at launch, that was it - the X360 has three big games - no matter how negative you choose to be on it, those games appeal to all types of gamers, with a 1st person game, a racing game and an action/adventure game, added to the EA sports games for the sports fans and CoD2 for the FPS fans, and you've covered all your bases with higher than average games for the respective crowds.

It's an undeniable fact that X360 games, by the most part, are grossly superior to current generation offerings from a visual standpoint.  Higher resolution textures, better FSAA, greater draw distance, higher resolution of 720p and 1080i being minimum, vs the 480i requirements of this gen, better shadding, better modeling, better game engines, etc...  Since you seem hellbent on claiming they're all "facelifts" from current gen games (which were successful), then I'd guess by your twisted logic, that the X360 has the best line up of all time, and will be the most successful console in history.  :mellow:

There are several factors as to why DVD-9 is a better choice in the eyes of a normal consumer and from a gaming standpoint.  It's cheaper - which allows them to continue on other hardware upgrades.  The access speed is faster, as a 1X Blu-Ray drive will be slower than a 12X DVD drive.  While no official word has been said, nearly every source is pointing to a 1X Blu-Ray drive in the PS3, since the cost will only get worse if upgraded to a 2X or higher.  Compression technology is better than last generation as well, and seeing as 90% (J Allard's quote) of all Xbox games barely used 3 gig on their discs, they felt that staying with DVD-9 was a logical choice.  It again, goes to the fact that developers, with better engines, don't have to use FMV to show large scale sequences.  More stuff will be in game, driving disc space requirements down.

Kameo has been around for years. I even have a demo of it from the time it was supposed to be an Xbox title. It may not have been released, but it's still a facelift from what was an Xbox game.

BC is very useful. The PS2 also did double duty as DvD player out of the box back when DvD players were totally overpriced. Actually I never saw all those demo's so I'm uncorrupted in that respect. What I do recall is having games on 3 or 4 CD's which the PS2 eliminated at a stroke.

Well they would say that since they are pretty much stuck with it for the duration now. However I expect all those new flashy effects, full speech etc. Will fill a DvD quite nicely even before you factor in FMV which is still higher quality than ingame engine scenes.

The PS3 is far enough away to make speculation irrelevent. It's also going to have it's usual beta test in Japan (and the US) before it becomes a concern of mine.

The 360 on the other hand is supposed to be out next month which is a world of difference.

478327[/snapback]

Well considering we all know it seems like half of the games go beyond initial timelines, are we surprised by this? I

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Kameo has been around for years. I even have a demo of it from the time it was supposed to be an Xbox title. It may not have been released, but it's still a facelift from what was an Xbox game.

So because a game crosses platforms and generations before it's finally released, it's simply a "facelift"? That's an asinine comment, and you know it.

BC is very useful. The PS2 also did double duty as DvD player out of the box back when DvD players were totally overpriced. Actually I never saw all those demo's so I'm uncorrupted in that respect. What I do recall is having games on 3 or 4 CD's which the PS2 eliminated at a stroke.

BC is useful when your launch line up sucks and you have no killer aps, of which, the Xbox 360 is not lacking. Never has a launch happened where so many people were looking forward to so many different games. It's not focused on one game and it's not focused on games that are years away (MGS4, Killzone 2, DMC4, etc...). The focus is on the games that are due out at launch, and at last count, there are three "blockbusters" and several highly popular games that appeal to the casual market. - THAT IS SUCCESSFUL

Well they would say that since they are pretty much stuck with it for the duration now. However I expect all those new flashy effects, full speech etc. Will fill a DvD quite nicely even before you factor in FMV which is still higher quality than ingame engine scenes.

Yeah, they just made it up, and all Xbox games use the full 9 gigs of the DVD's, and many other games spanned multiple DVD's on the system, but those games just never got released.

Different market, different focus, different games. 30+ gig media was not important for the X360, like it is for the PS3.

Have you seen the embarassing Fatal Inertia videos for the PS3? That's the first gameplay footage shown for the console, and it's laughable - and a supposed launch game to boot. That's exactly why everything they've shown has been FMV/CGI, and/or cinematic trailers with the game engine with a ton of scripted events to "fake" a real-time game environment. You bought the smoke and mirrors, congrats.

FMV is still useless.  If i want to see a movie I put a movie in.  When i want to play a game I want to play the game and not watch a movie.

RPGs are built on cutscenes and you may as well use the medium that shows them off to the fullest effect especially when your engine may not be built for that purpose.

Could you imagine the escape from the temple cutscene in JE done in engine ?

478327[/snapback]

Yes, and it would have been just fine for me. Also ther ewere a lot of FMV scenes in KotOR 2 that would have been better off done in the game engine. We are at a point in game development that FMVs are simply not needed because the graphics and engine work are advanced enough in technology to do the work.

Like I said, I play games. I watch movies.

So because a game crosses platforms and generations before it's finally released, it's simply a "facelift"?  That's an asinine comment, and you know it.

BC is useful when your launch line up sucks and you have no killer aps, of which, the Xbox 360 is not lacking.  Never has a launch happened where so many people were looking forward to so many different games.  It's not focused on one game and it's not focused on games that are years away (MGS4, Killzone 2, DMC4, etc...).  The focus is on the games that are due out at launch, and at last count, there are three "blockbusters" and several highly popular games that appeal to the casual market. - THAT IS SUCCESSFUL

Yeah, they just made it up, and all Xbox games use the full 9 gigs of the DVD's, and many other games spanned multiple DVD's on the system, but those games just never got released.

Different market, different focus, different games.  30+ gig media was not important for the X360, like it is for the PS3.

Have you seen the embarassing Fatal Inertia videos for the PS3?  That's the first gameplay footage shown for the console, and it's laughable - and a supposed launch game to boot.  That's exactly why everything they've shown has been FMV/CGI, and/or cinematic trailers with the game engine with a ton of scripted events to "fake" a real-time game environment.  You bought the smoke and mirrors, congrats.

Yes it's the same game that makes it a facelift. Same as if Twilight Princess was pulled for the revolution (without making use of the unique control options). No it's true comment. It may be one you dont like to acknowledge ,but it is never the less true that Kameo was supposed to be an Xbox game.

No , BC is useful for giving people something to play when your launch titles slip into the void. Actually everything that was anticipated by anyone I know has disapeared into next year. One of the advantages of being on the European release scale is you have a lot more choice when they finally get around to us. Dosnt work that way with a world wide release of course.

Like I said it's not like they would say , or could say anything else. They may get away with it till the PS3 launches but I doubt it will last 5 years.

No , then again only a fool would expect the same from a system due anywhere upto 8 months away to one released this month wouldnt they ?

I havnt bought anything. :blink: Which is the point really isnt it ?

478327[/snapback]

Lets look at launch titles for the X Box 360, shall we.

Call of Duty 2: Boring WW2 shooter.

Madden NFL 06: Yay. Yet another Madden title. :blink:

Tony Hawk: Can we say loser.

Project Gotham racing 3: Play one racing game and you played them all.

Dead or Alive 3: Pixelated chicks punching and kicking. *yawn*

Quake 4: Oh, another shooter. :huh:

Yes, and it would have been just fine for me.  Also ther ewere a lot of FMV scenes in KotOR 2 that would have been better off done in the game engine.  We are at a point in game development that FMVs are simply not needed because the graphics and engine work are advanced enough in technology to do the work.

Like I said, I play games.  I watch movies.

Thing is your still "out of the game" for the same period whether the game is done by in engine or CG. Most of KOTOR II was done in engine, it's what led to those glitches like everyone thinking that GOTO had killed the remote (because it sank into the floor because of clipping).

The gap will be narrower . But CG is still going to allow you to do things that the engine may not (especially when it comes to RPGs).

478327[/snapback]

Thing is I want to be able to control my character in such instances.  Such as fleeing the temple, I should have been in full control of the character and if I messed up my character gets cut into two equal halves.

Ah, thats a different thing entirely. Cutscenes in RPGs generally have a prefered outcome though which is why you have a cutscene in the first place.

In the temple you couldnt be in control of your character, because you were the baby :blink: Although controlling "Master Li" and trying to fight your way out while having to hold a baby would have been an interesting spin on gameplay.

478327[/snapback]

Yes it's the same game that makes it a facelift. Same as if Twilight Princess was pulled for the revolution (without making use of the unique control options). No it's true comment. It may be one you dont like to acknowledge ,but it is never the less true that Kameo was supposed to be an Xbox game.

It was supposed to be a Gamecube game and a N64 game. Super facelift ahoy!!

No , BC is useful for giving people something to play when your launch titles slip into the void. Actually everything that was anticipated by anyone I know has disapeared into next year. One of the advantages of being on the European release scale is you have a lot more choice when they finally get around to us. Dosnt work that way with a world wide release of course.

Nothing has been delayed outside of Oblivion. Everything else is still on track for launch. The people you know must not following games very well.

BC is useful when you have no good launch titles, that of course, is not happening with the Xbox 360. As, like I've said several times (minus the 5 people you know that are dreadfully hurt by the selection of X360 launch games), there are a bunch of games that people are dieing to play - all of which appeal to casuals and hardcore gamers alike. Again, except the exclusive club of your buddies that hate all things not Sony.

Like I said it's not like they would say , or could say anything else. They may get away with it till the PS3 launches but I doubt it will last 5 years.

Sure thing.

No , then again only a fool would expect the same from a system due anywhere upto 8 months away to one released this month wouldnt they ?

Oh but Blu-Ray is going to make all PS3 games superior... RIGHT?!?!?!

I havnt bought anything. :( Which is the point really isnt it ?

You bought into the hype that Sony laid out.

Lets look at launch titles for the X Box 360, shall we.

Call of Duty 2:  Boring WW2 shooter. 

Madden NFL 06:  Yay.  Yet another Madden title.  :blink:

Tony Hawk:  Can we say loser.

Project Gotham racing 3:  Play one racing game and you played them all.

Dead or Alive 3:  Pixelated chicks punching and kicking.  *yawn*

Quake 4:  Oh, another shooter.  :huh:

Wow, way to be selective. Amazing you missed a lot of games for launch, but hey, more power to ya. This is the Sony fanclub forum afterall.

Edited by Epiphany