Gaming Consoles

Akhan225

Which gaming system do you prefer over the others?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Which gaming system do you prefer over the others?

• Playstation 2
    • Gamecube
    • X-Box
    • Personal Computer
    • Playstation
    • N-64
    • Sega Dreamcast
    • SNES
    • Gameboy Advanced (Advanced,SP, or Advanced DS)
    • PSP

And what exactly do you base this "dumbed down" feeling on?

Is it not entirely possible that nostalgia factor is making you a bit bias towards the platforms?

Even I find myself thinking that the games of my youth were a lot better then todays, for no apparent reason.

Nah, it's more like a big circle of electronic life. :cool:

The first games consoles were just computers that would fit in your house without being prohibitively expensive. Then, as time went on, they got progressively less computer-like as computers were introduced into the home and gaming got shared between the two. Now, consoles are becoming progressively more like computers again, with hard drives, internet connections, add-on hardware, even keyboards and mouses. Eventually, a console probably will be a PC, and then you'll probably be able to mess with its innards to upgrade it just like your PC of old. And so will the cycle begin again.

It's...it's like...everything's like...a big circle, duuuude. ^_^

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Well, for starters, I've played both Fallout and Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel..

Or Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance..

Or Wasteland compared to.. whatever.

Or Deus Ex compared to.. uh.. the Deus Ex on Playstation 2.

I don't think it's nostalgia talking. Games used to require brains (Bard's Tale 3 comes to mind..) instead of mostly tactics (turn based) or quick fingers (twitch). I really miss the games that tested your wit and problem solving skills too.

That's true in a lot of cases, but as developers begin to realize their target market isn't really 12-15 anymore, the games get more complex and indepth.

Could you direct me to some of these more complex and indepth titles? Because I am having a tough time finding them. I have a Playstation 2.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Some random titles you might consider trying.

Xenosaga 1 & 2.

Both have an exellent story, but again... It's not the type of RPG you are use to probably. It's more suggesting, then interracting.

Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 are really good games. Tough puzzles, hard enemies and very nice storytelling.

Or if you want some decent action games... Try Resident Evil 4 or Metal Gear Solid 3.

Consoles is a great idea gone bad. The great part about it is the idea of giving everyone a chance to buy top of the line technology at a fair price, and of course giving developers a chance to develop their games for one setup only. What I dont understand though is why games on consoles in general feel 'dumbed down' compared to the games I grew up with on the C64 or PC. I'm not sure it's because of the consoles, but it feels like it started when the NES came out, with its simplistic controllers.

The dumbing down bit is actually the only thing I dislike about consoles.

Thats totally true. It cost so much now to develop a game now a days, I guess you just want it to appeal to every possible person it can, within a certain limit, unfortantly gameplay has suffered in this. If only there was some way to drive down the price of development:geek:

Edited by Laozi

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Thats totally true. It cost so much now to develop a game now a days, I guess you just want it to appeal to every possible person it can, within a certain limit, unfortantly gameplay has suffered in this. If only there was some way to drive down the price of development:geek:

I disagree , although games are becoming more and more similiar. Then again for 20 odd years people have been using a gamepad and adapting after using a keyboard/mouse , not something a lot of people can do overnight.

I'd pin your hopes on people buying the revolution in large numbers since it's the only console that emphasis gameplay innovation and fun over graphics.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Or if you want some decent action games... Try Resident Evil 4 or Metal Gear Solid 3.

RE4.jpg

I'm not saying there aren't any good games on consoles. I am saying thare are too few brainteasers among the games currently available.

I have not tried Xenosaga, but I did play Digital Devil Saga and I must say that running around in corridors in a forest (like you do in the beginning of one of them) with random encounters every third step you take is just not my cup of tea. Also, those spinning 'wheels' in combat..? If you hit the button at the exact right time your character hits harder in combat? Didn't like that either (although I am aware that you could turn that feature off). And I'm frankly sick of japanese stories with all their demons and spiky haired teens who can jump on top of houses and such. I wish they could make a 'normal' RPG with a more down-to-earth story where not everyone can turn into a demon or look like a pedophiles wet dream.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I occasionally replay old C64 and Amiga games, and I don't understand when people talk about games today being "dumbed down". Games today feel just as simple or complex as games from 15 years ago (when I discovered the joys of gaming), and I feel the problem is not that games are getting "dumber", it's that while sound and graphics and such are much improved from many years ago, gameplay hasn't changed so much.

I have not tried Xenosaga, but I did play Digital Devil Saga and I must say that running around in corridors in a forest (like you do in the beginning of one of them) with random encounters every third step you take is just not my cup of tea. Also, those spinning 'wheels' in combat..? If you hit the button at the exact right time your character hits harder in combat? Didn't like that either (although I am aware that you could turn that feature off). And I'm frankly sick of japanese stories with all their demons and spiky haired teens who can jump on top of houses and such. I wish they could make a 'normal' RPG with a more down-to-earth story where not everyone can turn into a demon or look like a pedophiles wet dream.

Xenosaga II should be arriving on the doorstep tommorow :lol: I rented Genji earlier and I'm having a blast with that. Genji is a sort of action RPG, similiar to Jade Empire in some respects , though not in others.

Is Digital Devil Saga Shin Megami Tensi ? The wheel combat sounds like the one out of ShadowHearts (incredible game that almost tied with FFX for my favourite).

Although the high encounter rate does sound a lot like SMT , frankly that bugged me to and I play a lot of these things. Mercifully you can breed a demon quite early on with encounter reduction powers.

I guess it depends on what you call "normal" some are more over the top than others.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Exclusively PC here as well. I'm just too casual a gamer to be prepared to spend a hundred bucks (or three- or four-hundred) on a piece of hardware for which, in all probability, I'll end up buying only one or two games, but the rest of the time will end up collecting dust.

Unless it comes out in that lovely PC format, I won't see it. Odds are I won't see it anyway, but at least if it's for the PC it's got a chance.

Edited by Magnum Opus

Well, for starters, I've played both Fallout and Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel..

Or Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance..

Or Wasteland compared to.. whatever.

Or Deus Ex compared to.. uh.. the Deus Ex on Playstation 2.

I don't think it's nostalgia talking. Games used to require brains (Bard's Tale 3 comes to mind..) instead of mostly tactics (turn based) or quick fingers (twitch). I really miss the games that tested your wit and problem solving skills too.

Don't forget Invisible war.

I could never get past a certain point on Tensai, my little half demon boy kept dying... but the game is a mind screwer. Haven't tried the second one, and in Xenosaga II I'm stuck within the last area (I seem to do that alot in my games.)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

You can buy every console of a generation brand new and you still wouldnt reach what it would cost you for an equivelent PC. Or what it would cost in upgrades over a 5 year period to keep one top of the line.

Actually, I disagree. The cost of buying all three consoles would net you a pretty impressive computer, especially if you have no problems building your own.

The big thing about the PC market IMO is that it's a more viable market for new developers. It's possible to circumvent the publisher for the most part, by releasing games online to download. I think this is important because with the costs of game development skyrocketing, you either need a couple unbelievably huge games to support the "experiments" that might not work out, or have publishers becoming more conservative with their designs, making games for the popular market.

Of course there is always exceptions when an innovative game turns out to be huge. But these are not the norm.

Actually, I disagree.  The cost of buying all three consoles would net you a pretty impressive computer, especially if you have no problems building your own.

The big thing about the PC market IMO is that it's a more viable market for new developers.  It's possible to circumvent the publisher for the most part, by releasing games online to download.  I think this is important because with the costs of game development skyrocketing, you either need a couple unbelievably huge games to support the "experiments" that might not work out, or have publishers becoming more conservative with their designs, making games for the popular market.

Of course there is always exceptions when an innovative game turns out to be huge.  But these are not the norm.

Heres the totals from my last generations consoles purchases.

PS2

478327[/snapback]

Actually, I disagree.  The cost of buying all three consoles would net you a pretty impressive computer, especially if you have no problems building your own.

The big thing about the PC market IMO is that it's a more viable market for new developers.  It's possible to circumvent the publisher for the most part, by releasing games online to download.  I think this is important because with the costs of game development skyrocketing, you either need a couple unbelievably huge games to support the "experiments" that might not work out, or have publishers becoming more conservative with their designs, making games for the popular market.

Of course there is always exceptions when an innovative game turns out to be huge.  But these are not the norm.

Heres the totals from my last generations consoles purchases.

PS2

You said brand new consoles.  Given the prices of these new consoles at release seem to have the chance of being higher than ever...

So I did :">

Even at the new prices though it would only add around

478327[/snapback]

What is the starting retail value for most consoles?

Didn't the playstation debut at $400 or so?

I was basing things on around $300-$400 for each console on average. That would give me $900-$1200 for a computer. Considering many costs such as monitor, hard drive, etc. etc. don't need to be upgraded, I can get a killer computer for that value (in fact I did :blink:).

What is the starting retail value for most consoles?

Didn't the playstation debut at $400 or so?

I was basing things on around $300-$400 for each console on average.  That would give me $900-$1200 for a computer.  Considering many costs such as monitor, hard drive, etc. etc. don't need to be upgraded, I can get a killer computer for that value (in fact I did :devil:).

The PS2 is the only one I got within a couple of weeks.

The GC was never expensive

I'd say

478327[/snapback]