Alternate Accounts?

Cantousent

What do you think of Alt Accounts?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Alt Accounts?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Maybe...
    • I AM AN ALT!

Alternate accounts are for cowards. It's a way to troll, and not take responsible for it. It's to cause trouble, and say it wans't me; it was that guy.

I say if you are gonna be a jerk like me at least be upfront about it.

Stop pretending.

This is my jerk account, jack-ass. ...And it's not like you don't have enough folks leveling the dreaded troll charge at you, Vol. Of course, maybe your someone's alt account. I've always suspected you and visc were the same person. :)

Were you once a mod

A mod who is an alt account seems strange to me

I know who you are...

Fio

Edited by Carnage

I don't think so. It's still alright for me to have a little fun with Vol.

For the record, though, I don't think Vol is someone's alt. More likely, someone else is Vol's alt.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Ha. I don't care enough about what people on an internet forum think of me to create an alt. I'm not saying that the only reason people create alts is to post sh*t they wouldn't post in their respected account, but that's the only reason someone in my position would create an alternate account. I'm sure Eldar had a good reason for making alts. I'm thinking a "Revan was greater good Sith" type thing, where he did something "bad" to make the galaxy (or, in this case, the forum) stronger/better.

However, this may be the beer talking, so believe what you will. ^_^

1169782506.gif

Seriously, only like, three people can touch my body

If someone doesn't abuse his alternate account, why is it such a bad thing?  If someone misbehaves, won't that become apparent very quickly?

The fact is, alt accounts are a controversial subject on message boards.

The use of alts to influence a poll result would be one obvious problem.

How about this...

Suppose a member has 2 or 3 alts. Each alt has a very different persona along with a personal history. Different country of origin and possibly a different gender. Which alt more accurately represents the actual person IRL and what do the other, very different alts say about the person's emotional make-up? Are the other alt personae a means to vent or are they showing latent instability?

Another possibility...

A person has two accounts. One is a moderator. The other account is a 'problem member' that screams obscenities whenever the views and opinions of that persona are challenged. Obviously, if this account was known to belong to a mod, there would be a problem but what does it say about the individual in question's ethics?

I'm not sure the question should be simply about the existence of alternate accounts but how those accounts are used and how it reflects on the user.

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

I never understood the need for alts, no more than I understand the need for pseudonyms.

I'm the ultimate Gorth and pinnacle of Gorthiness. No need to pretend to be somebody else :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Gorth, you are an original.

Tarna, your post is well spoken, but it assumes a lot. I can honestly say that my alt has never flamed anyone. I have almost never posted both members in the same thread, and when I have, it has been minor. As in, I think Eldar has posted maybe twice in my alt account's threads. One was a quote and one was a single line. Eldar doesn't fight my alt's battles and my alt doesn't fight. At all.

I'm not afraid of identifying my alt account. I would think that, should anyone really care one way or the other, my alt is pretty damned easy to identify. Both my accounts voted in this thread, but one voted maybe and voted I AM AN ALT. I'll leave it to you to figure out the vote.

Some folks create alts for shady or shaky reasons. Some folks just create alts and there really doesn't need to be a reason. Finally, some folks have reasons.

Is it so alien to believe that perhaps an alt serves a purpose other than hooliganism?

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Tarna, your post is well spoken, but it assumes a lot.  I can honestly say that my alt has never flamed anyone. 

I wasn't talking about you Eldar. I have seen the situations that I described though ( no I'm not telling who or where ). These are some of the things I think about when I see an alt's actions when compared to the 'regular' account.

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

hahaha. Total comedy. I've seen alts create mayhem on message boards. I know they can be a pain, not only for the mod team, but for the general population also.

The thing is, all of these accounts are a kind of huge role playing game anyway. Hell, real life is one huge role playing game. I'm not the exact same person when I'm visiting with my mom as I am when I'm in a group of guys. We all take on different roles and personas depending on the situation.

Some folks never post out of character. For instance, Gromnir or Sarge. I've seen Gromnir post out of character once, and that was to make a specific charge against Feargus. I'm sure neither Gromnir nor Sarge talk the same way in real life, right? For good or ill, I think mkreku has the right of it. I'm not so jaded to say we don't know anyone. I will, however, say that we only know the person any particular individual lets us see.

Obsidian Plays

You poor, poor fools! If you're slivers of my mind, then I weep for you. ...And your children.

Obsidian Plays