Voice recognition love or loathe ?

Storytime :wacko:

We are playing Xmen II this moring and now we are in the 20's we have all these powers but still only 4 face buttons on the controller.

Then I started thinking about Nintendogs, you can train the dog with upto 14 different tricks and they respond based on your voice alone, no having to cycle through commands to get to the one you want (which is probably on the wrong button anyway).

Now granted the recognition software in the DS isnt perfect but if it can handle Nintendogs, then more refined software should be able to handle anything which involves spoken voice commands. I'm actually aware of something to this effect, but not allowed to say :huh:

Anyways, think of areas where voice commands could replace having to cycle through multiple menu layers and or the need to only choose a small selection of commands because the controller dosnt have enough buttons. Also think of how much less clunky it will be to say "fireball" rather than have to dig through to find it.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I would love it! There's a game called Singstar on the PS2, where you actually compete against each other to see who can sing the least false. It's not quite the same (not at all really), but it has made me see the fun in using your voice in games. It really enhances the gameplay.

Voice recognition is also used in Mario Sunshine on the Gamecube, where there's a minigame where one player uses his voice to try to topple the other players down from platforms. Each platform has a picture of a fruit on it, and every time the voice master screams a fruit, the other players have to try and find platform that do NOT have that fruit on them, because the plaforms with the shouted fruit on them disappear. It works, although it is a lot more fun to yell anything ("BALLOON!!" "STEAK!!" "MERCEDES!!") because then noone knows which platform will disappear o:)

Edit: Typos. Lots and lots of typos. I even had to edit a typo in this edit text :huh:

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I would really find it funny if people started screaming at their computer "MAGIC MISSLE! NO NOT MAGIC FLOWERS MAGIC MISSILE! D'OH!"

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I would really find it funny if people started screaming at their computer "MAGIC MISSLE! NO NOT MAGIC FLOWERS MAGIC MISSILE! D'OH!"

Substitute roll over and sit for those and thats me screaming at a Nintendog. :lol:

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Doubt it will happen anytime in the near future, but give it another decade and this could be pretty succesful.

I'd expect something from Nintendo this generation. The rev controller can take a mic in it's accessory socket (as well as a bunch of other stuff, you probably saw the analogue controller already).

Given the success of Nintendogs and the fact that the revs controller can act much like a stylus (or more accurately a laser pointer) the mechanics for Nintendogs Revolution are already there.

Oh and I swear this is just me speculating it has nothing to do with the thing I couldnt mention.

478327[/snapback]

Error: Command "Fireball" had no designated target. Current hostile targets within your range are:

hobgoblin_1

hobgoblin_2

hobgoblin_3

hobgoblin_4

hobgoblin_5

hobgoblin_6

Alternatively, you could yell the x/y co-ordinates of the spot you wish to target your command.

Sounds likely in the future. Even in single player (multi is a nobrainer - communication with others), you free you up your hands to perform other things - maybe targeting your effects.

I think the tech is a bit expensive and maybe not as reliable/accurate to make this feasible but it's only a matter of time I think. In Japan I think they're trying to develop a voice-activated game where you can teach a virtual kid grammar etc. From the description the program chops up your sylables and reproduces them in the character's voice while assigning meaning I'm guessing.

Btw Hades, nobody will have to stretch their imagination too far to picture you larping. You should really try out Sailor Moon cosplaying with the pink mace. Screaming FIREBALL FIREBALL FIREBALL. That'll be the end of errant customers.

Edited by Atreides

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Reminds me too much of Anime where everyone announces their attacks before performing them.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Voice-recognition is likely still a bit off.

But ventrilo & the like are starting to become standards *now*, at least in online competitive games like FPS's, Guild Wars, and WoW. The competitive edge of being able to communicate while your hands are tied makes it necessary, though oft times it does take away from the feeling of immersion (since the human voices do not match the world/characters...)

There are doors

though oft times it does take away from the feeling of immersion (since the human voices do not match the world/characters...)

Ain't that the truth :p Still it does stop people crossdressing.

478327[/snapback]

Titanic Elf Priest:10 year old boys voice:"Ok I'm going to cast heal on you now!"

itty bitty gnome:James Earl Jones:"For the glory of the Gnomish race!"

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.