Did i just buy a good RPG?

Meshugger

I cant remember any oif this... I oinily played throiuigh bg2 oince, when it was released. It might be a goiioid idea toi play it again, hoiwever, I doint think I can stand playing it. Falloiuit and Toirment have embedded an image oif what an rpg shoiuild be like deep within my mind. I cant stand playing a character with maxed int and knoiwing that a 3 int character can say everything that I can.

Juist a coiuiple oif moinths agoi I tried replaying bg1, a game that I loivied back then. I played it becauise oif Tuitui, which alloiws it toi be played with the bg2 engine and all the featuires oif bg2 incluiding duial wielding, kits and oithers. Hoiwever I quiit soioin after reaching nashkel. It was a very hoilloiw and meaningless experience, as far as roileplaying is coincerned.

I had that problem too. Imagine what was it like to play BG adter Bloodlines. And it was my first time.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

People complaining about how "easy" Torment combat was seem to forget how difficult it was to defeat the demon in Curst. Trias's prision with all the gehreleths and mercykillers wasn't exactly a cakewalk either. I don't recall Nordom's maze to be exactly "easy" either.

In fact, the demon in Curst was harder than any of BG2's dragons.

image002.gifLancer

To Lancer:

Nope. Buff spells+sneak attack till the end of time.

Or keep attacking with TNO till it goes down.

To roshan:

Gone are the days of yore. Oh well...

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I don't think one really powerful boss contitutes challenging combat.

The thing I didn't like most about PS:T was the bugginess of some spells. There was one spell that let you cast multiple missiles (Force bolt or something) one after another. However, if you didn't stay put on that person, you'd waste the extra missiles.

I liked the combat of BG2 a lot more, which should make sense. BG2's focus was a lot more on combat IMO.

TNO is immortal. Where's the challenge?

kirottu said:

To Lancer:

Nope. Buff spells+sneak attack till the end of time.

Or keep attacking with TNO till it goes down.

You actually beat the demon? Congrats. Quite an accomplishment. I can beat Baldurdash's ToB patches yet I have never been able to beat that demon. I think it says a lot about that encounter's difficulty.

image002.gifLancer

There was no hard battle in PST. None. Zero. Zilch. There w ere a few challenging one;s but no hard ones. Not even close. And, for agame that focused on combat as PST, that's pretty sad.

And, don't deny it. When a game has places that is enmasse combat like Curst, the rat tunnels, FOR, and a host of others; it automatically has a focus on combat.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I hated Baator.

And got an official warning just now, it seems.

kirottu said:

I liked the combat of BG2 a lot more, which should make sense.  BG2's focus was a lot more on combat IMO.

And this is the point. People who expected Torment to have the same combat focus as BG1/2 did are missing the point. Torment's focus was never on combat albeit Torment's combat was plenty satisfying for me personally.

image002.gifLancer

People complaining about how "easy" Torment combat was seem to forget how difficult it was to defeat the demon in Curst. Trias's prision with all the gehreleths and mercykillers wasn't exactly a cakewalk either.  I don't recall Nordom's maze to be exactly "easy" either.

In fact, the demon in Curst was harder than any of BG2's dragons.

Fighting giant skeletoins in the crypt oiuitside the moirtuiary was diffuicuilt if that was oinei oifi the first quiests yoiui toioik. The loiwest floioir in the tenement oifi thuigs was alsoii quiiite difficuilt. There were alsoi soimie toiuigh encoiiuinters with ghoiuils in the sewers. All in all it was noit as easy as soime peoiiple like toi claim.

There was no hard battle in PST. None. Zero. Zilch. There w ere a few challenging one;s but no hard ones. Not even close. And, for  agame that focused on combat as PST, that's pretty sad.

If you thought that Torment "focused" on combat then you completely dropped the ball.

Nope. Combat was definitely secondary.

image002.gifLancer

I remember struggling with combat my first playthrough, but found combat my second playthrough to be much simpler.

It is kind of funny that if I found a place hard, I could just exploit it by putting Annah on stealth and walking to the next map :)

I also think people may have an elevated view of PS:T's combat because they enjoyed the rest of the game so much. When a game gives you warm fuzzies, everything is seen in a better light.

Fighting giant skeletoins in the crypt oiuitside the moirtuiary was diffuicuilt if that was oinei oifi the first quiests yoiui toioik. The loiwest floioir in the tenement oifi thuigs was alsoii quiiite difficuilt. There were alsoi soimie toiuigh encoiiuinters with ghoiuils in the sewers. All in all it was noit as easy as soime peoiiple like toi claim.

People complaing about how "easy" Torment's combat was is just an excuse to hide what they really mean... I believe they were just annoyed that you weren't thrust into some battle or another every minute or so like the BGs.

image002.gifLancer

Shut up. Don't group me with munckin-kiddies.

I remember spending two hours talking with Dustmen in the Mortuary. TWO HOURS! Does that sound like craving for battles to you?

kirottu said:

I also think people may have an elevated view of PS:T's combat because they enjoyed the rest of the game so much.  When a game gives you warm fuzzies, everything is seen in a better light.

I don't. Ultima VII's combat I admit was lacking (even in comparison to Torment) yet I loved Ultima VII. I just honestly don't understand why some believe that Torment's combat was "bad."

image002.gifLancer

I didn't necessarily find the combat of PS:T easy or hard.

This is a more logical response. One that I agree with.

I just didn't find it as enjoyable as the combat in other IE games.  Maybe it's because all the non-combat parts were just so much better??

Torment's non-combat parts were better.. Or the other IE games?

Are you saying that combat was less enjoyable in Torment than other IE games just because it was so overshadowed by its roleplayins aspects?

image002.gifLancer

Shut up. Don't group me with munckin-kiddies.

I remember spending two hours talking with Dustmen in the Mortuary. TWO HOURS! Does that sound like craving for battles to you?

Temper.. temper.. I didn't specifically ever mention you. I do ,however, imagine that there are quite a few people that feel that Torment's combat was bad because there just wasn't "enough" fighting in their eyes. Not so much that the "quality" was bad per se... Just the quantity.

image002.gifLancer