Did i just buy a good RPG?

Meshugger

I could mention all kinds of tactical challenges in BG 2, like vampires, umberhulks and shroom people, but why bother...

Edit: IWD 2 was way better at combat and tactics anyway.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

roshan now compares bg2 combat to ps:t?

HA!

look, Gromnir liked ps:t a great deal... were/is our favorite pc game (regardless as to whether or not it were a crpg,) but ps:t combat were NOT a positive quality and it not have anywhere near the possibilities and complexity o' bg2... not that bg2 were a great combat simulator neither, but to compare to ps:t...

like ps:t for what it was... and in spite of its weakness... but pretend that it not have weakness is foolish.

HA! Good Fun!

The coiimibat oif the infinity engine games in general was quiite weak. Balduirs gate 2 had loits oif poissibilities buit yoiui oinily needed toi emploiy 1 strategy toi carry yoiui throiuigh moisit oif the game: casting breach foilloiwed by a melee ruish.

breach didn't work on many critters... or it were of limited efficacy.

had to fight vampires different from mind flayers and liches different from golems, and dragons different from everything else. to say otherwise would be fibbing, if only to your self.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Thanks Gromnie for taking the fire.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Breach doesn't help you against warriors. It doesn't help you against impirosnment casting demi liches. The list goes on. If the only strategy you used in BG2 was breach then you most certainly didn't use the best strategy. In fact, breach is a horrible strategy. It also doesn't help against mind flayers, demons, or beholders. Why do you make crap up?

edit: WOW! I've been destroyed by both Grom and Muso.

Face it, Roshiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeee, you loseeeeeeeeeeeeeee.............

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Why do I bother? The tanks are into it now.

kirottu said:

You know it's time to leave a thread when you're agreeing with not only Volourn, but Gromnir too.

True. Back to FEAR, shall we?

kirottu said:

Froimi what I remember, dragoinis coiiuild be breached, and after that they werent very difficuilt.

Liches were noit uiniquiie except foir the instant kill factoir, which I have already acknoiwledged earlier. Alsoi I doint recall any situiatioinis in BG2 where we actuially had toi destroiy the philactery oifi the lich like in icewind dale, althoiuigh my memoiiry might be failing me.

As foir vampires and mind flayers, wasnt it poissible toi juisit cast restoiriatioini oin yoiuir party members after the fight toi gain back the intelligence and the levels? I seem to remeber soimiething aboiuiti inserting stakes in the vampires coiffins...

Goilems, I agree, I beleive we had toi uise bluint weapoins against them as oithers were noit effective.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Breach doesn't help you against warriors. It doesn't help you against impirosnment casting demi liches. The list goes on. If the only strategy you used in BG2 was breach then you most certainly didn't use the best strategy. In fact, breach is a horrible strategy. It also doesn't help against mind flayers, demons, or beholders. Why do you make crap up?

edit: WOW! I've been destroyed by both Grom and Muso.

Face it, Roshiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeee, you loseeeeeeeeeeeeeee.............

I played with a predoimiinantly melee party soi I did noit have a proiblem with demoins. Regarding the instant death demi liches and oither moinsters, I have already acknoieldeged this earlier. This was moiirie oif an annoiyance than a poisiitive coimibat mechanic.

Sure, you could breach a dragon, and then what? A dragon's greatest strnegbth wasn't its defensive spells; but its breatwheapon, melee attacks, offensive spells like the green dragon's swarm. Breach them, and they still have ahost of ways to kill you.

Catsting restoration after a fight witrh vampires doens't help you during the fight does it? Though negative plane protection (from both spells and iems) cam into be useful.

Nothing really can protect you from the flayer's intelligence draining powersz. Combine that with their usual pet the umber hulk and that's a deadly combination unless you planned accoridngly hence strategy.

demons wer emore complicated than hacking them as thewy had a host of powers to terminate you and not just the insta death kind. Charms/dominations, and a host more were there for them.

You better play BG2 and PST again and comapre the two games' combat. It's not even in the same league when it comes to challenge, diveristy, and strategy.

I was irritated by one thing when it comes to the much feared vampires in BG2. That damn amulet which allowed Jaheira to literally tank though Vampires wihtout any harm whatsoever. Same thing with the only viable tactic against illithids; storming them with a mass of summons.

kirottu said:

Nothing wrong with the summons. That's legit. The overpowered anti draining amulet was a bit much though. I doubt she could pour through the vampires that easy - epsicially the powerful ones.

Well, excaggeration is a god's gift :p

I really would like to hear if anyone had alternative tactics for illithids.

Oh, and cloak of mirroring anyone? Beholder dungeon?

kirottu said:

I muist admit that I had foirgoitten aboiuiti a loit oif the moinsters broiuight uip, and yes, bg2 coiimbat did have moirie diversity and requiired moire strategies.

I did noit find it challenging thoiuigh. The oinly dnd game toi challenge me soi far has been icewind dale 1. In bg2 I goiit oini fine with breach and melee thoiuigh. In a fight with vampires chances are yoiui are noit goiing toi be severely level drained, specially if yoiiui have several characters fighting the vampires. Also, with melee characters yoiui want toi foicuis them oin oinie enemy at a time in oirider toi take them doiiwn quiickly and thuis minimize being affected by their poiwers. There were several items which gave goioid immuinities anyway. The flayers intelligence drain doieisnt affect a melee character muich.

What? The illithids were impossible in straight melee!

kirottu said:

Well, first of all; there was the mind blast. I stunned a chracter in his tracks for, give or take 5 rounds. But that on the other hand was more than enough for the brainsuckers to do their thing. Instadeath. And there were always more than one.

Edit: I realise you haven't played BG 2 in ages, so perhaps I should just move on.

kirottu said:

Like I said, Roshan needs to play BG2 again. You can't tank mind flayers in BG2. Heck, BG2 flayers are much tougher than the pnp version.

A melee character is likely most suspectible to them if anything espicially with the umber hulks that was with them.

Beholders also were really tricky except with certain items.

The list goes on. I bet when Roshan thinks a combat is eays is when he dies only 1ce or 2ce a fight. LOL

Heh, I remember my first encounter with illithids.

"Turning this corner right here...boy those kua-toas were easy...dum dum...hmm? What are these? Looks fugly. Well, Jaheira and folks'll to do the job. *mind blast* What the heck? Hey, stop sucking my brains! Great...there goes Valygar...and Jaheira...and...."

kirottu said:

Go away. My reply was to roshan back then. And my fingers tire.

kirottu said:

Well, first of all; there was the mind blast. I stunned a chracter in his tracks for, give or take 5 rounds. But that on the other hand was more than enough for the brainsuckers to do their thing. Instadeath. And there were always more than one.

Edit: I realise you haven't played BG 2 in ages, so perhaps I should just move on.

Illithids were quite simple to kill once you cast "Chaos" (IIRC) on yourself as to rendering yourself invulnerable to their psionics.

image002.gifLancer

To Calax:

Ynhh...Salvatore.

kirottu said: