Human brain is still evolving SIGNIFICANTLY

metadigital

Slashdot: Researchers Say Human Brain is Still Evolving

Posted by CowboyNeal on Friday September 09, @02:51AM

from the smarter-better-faster dept.

Oleg Alexandrov writes "Two genes involved in determining the size of the human brain have undergone substantial evolution in the last 60,000 years, researchers say, suggesting that the brain is still undergoing rapid evolution. The discovery adds further weight to the view that human evolution is still a work in progress, since previous instances of recent genetic change have come to light in genes that defend against disease and confer the ability to digest milk in adulthood."

More evidence for the ardent Creationists to dispute ... :(

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

How's 2:30 tomorrow afternoon?

(I'm assuming asking someone to scratch your back is not counted, even though that is accomplishing your desired goal under the stated conditions, if not the implicit ones. :blink:")

At a guess, I would say it will be a time definned as:

• longer than the time given for Kevin Costner's Waterworld mutant to grow gills (:(), and
  • shorter than the time it takes the moon to be flung out of the Earth's gravity.

Of course, some cybernetic augmentation might help ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I use my brain to ignore the itchy spot. It is not as hard as you might think.

This ties into research on IQ which suggests that if tests were not periodically normalised then the evidence suggests we are very much smarter now than when they were first introduced. Something like 5% of people today are of 'genius' standard by comparison with the first studies.

And I can NEVER remember the name of that phenomenon. :">

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Stupid godless scientists. They have just made this "evidence" up to cover the GREAT LIE of GODLESS EVOLUTION. If you believe their LIES, then you have turned your back on GOD! As Abraham did, you must PUT YOUR FAITH IN GOD, and reject the LIES of ATHEIST SCIENTISTS. They are working for SATAN, and the CATHOLIC CHURCH! Scientists, Satan and Catholics want to use the lie of Evolution to kill true Christians who they see as inferior and must be exterminated according to the THEORY of Evolution! Even the scientists admit that it is not true by calling it a theory! A theory is a thing with no evidence! We have caught them in their lie, but the GODLESS SCIENTISTS weasel out of it because of their DISHONESTY! GOD loves you, but he will send you to HELL if you accept EVILUTION like the HOMOSEXUALS, the GODLESS SCIENTISTS, or the SATAN WORSHIPING CATHOLICS! But if you believe in GOD, accept JESUS CHRIST as your savour, and admit the truth of HARMONIOUS 4-DAY TIMECUBE, GOD will bring you into HEAVEN! AMEN.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

You forgot to quote Job, Revvie. :lol:

Guys, this means that I only have to live a few millennia more before telepathy! So far so good.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Stupid godless scientists.  They have just made this "evidence" up to cover the GREAT LIE of GODLESS EVOLUTION.  If you believe their LIES, then you have turned your back on GOD! As Abraham did, you must PUT YOUR FAITH IN GOD, and reject the LIES of ATHEIST SCIENTISTS.  They are working for SATAN, and the CATHOLIC CHURCH!  Scientists, Satan and Catholics want to use the lie of Evolution to kill true Christians who they see as inferior and must be exterminated according to the THEORY of Evolution!  Even the scientists admit that it is not true by calling it a theory!  A theory is a thing with no evidence!  We have caught them in their lie, but the GODLESS SCIENTISTS weasel out of it because of their DISHONESTY!  GOD loves you, but he will send you to HELL if you accept EVILUTION like the HOMOSEXUALS, the GODLESS SCIENTISTS, or the SATAN WORSHIPING CATHOLICS!  But if you believe in GOD, accept JESUS CHRIST as your savour, and admit the truth of HARMONIOUS 4-DAY TIMECUBE, GOD will bring you into HEAVEN!  AMEN.

Are you channeling Chick Publications?

I love reading that stuff.

Stupid godless scientists.  They have just made this "evidence" up to cover the GREAT LIE of GODLESS EVOLUTION.  If you believe their LIES, then you have turned your back on GOD! As Abraham did, you must PUT YOUR FAITH IN GOD, and reject the LIES of ATHEIST SCIENTISTS.  They are working for SATAN, and the CATHOLIC CHURCH!  Scientists, Satan and Catholics want to use the lie of Evolution to kill true Christians who they see as inferior and must be exterminated according to the THEORY of Evolution!  Even the scientists admit that it is not true by calling it a theory!  A theory is a thing with no evidence!  We have caught them in their lie, but the GODLESS SCIENTISTS weasel out of it because of their DISHONESTY!  GOD loves you, but he will send you to HELL if you accept EVILUTION like the HOMOSEXUALS, the GODLESS SCIENTISTS, or the SATAN WORSHIPING CATHOLICS!  But if you believe in GOD, accept JESUS CHRIST as your savour, and admit the truth of HARMONIOUS 4-DAY TIMECUBE, GOD will bring you into HEAVEN!  AMEN.

Are you channeling Chick Publications?

I love reading that stuff.

NO! NO! NOT BLACKLEAF! I'M GOING TO DIE!!!!

:D

I actually used Blackleaf and Elfstar the Wizard (who was a cleric, if you remember) in one of my D&D campaigns. My players, not having read the tract, didn't get it, which made my one person inside joke rather pointless. :lol:

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

"Not now mom. I'm fighting the zombie"

Chick has his facts straight. Always.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

You forget, Brother Reveilled, that the Lord God Our Father created all things, even our science, our senses, our minds and our truth. He (for God is a perfect being) has made this as a test of the faithful; those of insufficient faith, who desire evidence and proof (and therefore eschew faith, by definition) are easily found wanting.

Every Good Evangelical Born Yesterday Christian knows that God, in His wisdom, created our world and universe; He created it to give us tests and choices, to let us, who are born in original sin, to choose eternal damnation or His salvation and Truth.

This is just another example of where what man thinks he understands, God does.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Are you kidding. I wouldn't date God. That would raise all kinds of Oedipal questions.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

But "OH GOD I`M CUMMING!!!" would definately get a new meaning.

:D

-Elwood Blues

Are you kidding. I wouldn't date God. That would raise all kinds of Oedipal questions.

You should try dating a goddess, sometime: it can be very rewarding. Although I warn you now that there is the trade-off ... high divinity = high maintenance. (Then again, you only get out of something what you put in ...) :lol:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Thinks about this.

Women generally like things like offerrings of food in the morning. They also enjoy a bit of 'prayer' - saying how great they are, how you will always worship them etc etc.

-Elwood Blues