Should I switch to the darkside?

Arkan

Either choice, to get it or to pass it by are always possible.

I would rather choose the path of least resistance than a path of pain. Besides, both lead to the same destination.

post-14627-1126350738_thumb.jpg

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧

Well, going by your pseudo-cryptic mumbling; at least the other path gives you something. Is it not worth to try? Think wether you'd like to be enriched by experience or remain oblivious to it.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

For all those people who think mmos are hopeless, what about if NWN2 works as a persistant world? I bet lots of anti mmo people would then be happy to jump on board the mmo band wagon. If you read the NWN2 Boards there are a huge number of people who are hoping that NWN2 will give them a mmo experience - and why do you think that is? I think because it is the ultimate gaming experience.

The fact that many mmos have failed to live up to peoples expectations does not change the fact that there is a real hunger for a mmo that does offer great gameplay while playing with thousands of other people simultaneously. Eve is a mmo that is achieving this goal.

Mmos do give people the chance to become heroes and famous, it's ridiculous to claim otherwise. And to claim that they're a con is bizarre. They are no more or less a con than any game put out by a developer. Of course not all people are going to enjoy mmos, but many critics of mmos have never played them, or if they have, they've only played them for a short time.

I played SWG for a long time and even though it had (imo) fatal flaws, it was still an amazing gaming experience. Eve is truely fantastic and I'm sure that if most mmo critics gave it a go, they would be forced to eat their words.

Now with Teamspeak you can load 3rd party programs such as Voice Changer to change your voice so that you can sound like a young girl or an old woman, the immersion is getting better and better. The mmo era is upon us, resist it at your peril.

"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing that is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

For all those people who think mmos are hopeless, what about if NWN2 works as a persistant world?  I bet lots of anti mmo people would then be happy to jump on board the mmo band wagon.

Nah, I'd rather just play single-player.

And the mmo-era came and went with Everquest. Now they're just like any other game. No amount of praise and fandom will change that.

Edit: Heh, only with a monthly fee. Yes I know there are exceptions.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

The problem with MMO's (and why I think they're a 'con' as someone put it) is that they have no clearly defined goal. No matter how you twist it, they are always a grind of some sort, because when you have no clear goal, that's all there is left to do to make players stay for an infinite amount of time. Sure, most MMO's try to disguise the fact by hiding the grind under different tasks, but what it all comes down to in the end is time, or rather 'wasting time'. World of Warcraft is about grinding for xp, grinding a huge amount of generic quests, grinding whichever gathering skill you choose, grinding whichever creating skill you choose, grinding to be able to fish/make bandages/create food. Then there's the endless chase (grind) for better equipment, for those rare crystals, for those rare unique world drops, for more gold so you can buy more meaningless stuff. World of Warcraft is even so bad that they turned my favourite aspect of MMO's into a grind: player vs. player. They introduced battlegrounds, which in reality turned out to be nothing more than xp grinding against players (they call it honor points, which, in fact, is as far from the truth as can be). Everything in MMO's is based on how much time you are willing to spend in the game. Skill rarely comes into play, because the gameplay is based around making the player go forward as slowly as possible towards an unclear goal. The (false) satisfaction comes from a feeling of accomplishment when you complete certain tasks, or when you've caught that hard-to-get last piece of equipment. But no matter how you twist it, it's still just a bottomless pit that devours every free second of your life (if you allow it to) because no matter how long you play them, you'll never feel completely satisfied, like you normally do after you've beaten the main villain in any ordinary single player game.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Or at least NWN.  Online NWN is free and you get what you pay for.

Hmm....I tossed about the idea of loading up NWN again last night...but the game itself is just so dull...can any fan made content make up for it? What out there is worth downloading?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Free is always good.

I can punch you in the mouth for free, if you want.

Rude, yet disturbingly amusing.

Also, I think the only reason to play MMORPGs is bragging rights, but that's just me. :)

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Guest Fishboot

If you'd like to experiment with an MMO, I suggest getting a few real life friends to all get into the game at the same time. I've done this with a couple of MMOs (WoW and Anarchy Online) and I had a reasonably good time before the games wore thin. It also has a nice tether effect, since in your circle of friends there will be a defacto metacompetition (which I think I've described in thsi forum before) - Whoever quits last, loses.

Now as to this:

For all those people who think mmos are hopeless, what about if NWN2 works as a persistant world? I bet lots of anti mmo people would then be happy to jump on board the mmo band wagon. If you read the NWN2 Boards there are a huge number of people who are hoping that NWN2 will give them a mmo experience - and why do you think that is? I think because it is the ultimate gaming experience.

I think this is really weird MMO triumphalism.

Mmos do give people the chance to become heroes and famous, it's ridiculous to claim otherwise.

No, they really don't, since the game can't be about any particular player the way single player/protagonist games typically are. The individual players who actually amount to "famous heroes" in MMOs are people who are pathologically commited to the game, and I'm not throwing the word pathologically around lightly there. I was in a clan when I played WoW that was having a lot of drama over how to manage the 40 man endgame raids, and there were people who were so involved with it that they were having emotional problems. There is work to be done on that "frontier" level that cannot be done by people who have not focused their life on the game, and to try to be important in the same world as those types is like trying to have a strength competition with a forklift. Now, you don't have to be the big hero for a game to be good, but to say that everyone can be a hero - as in, everyone can be special - in an MMO is insensate.

The mmo era is upon us, resist it at your peril.

We'll see, I suppose.

Edited by Fishboot

The mmo era is upon us, resist it at your peril.

Nah. People are going to want increasingly more accurate translations of the tabletop RPG on our friend: the computer. The virtual tabletop RPG is becoming increasingly popular year by year. MMORPGs have been around, this is the new wave.

image002.gifLancer

People are going to want increasingly more accurate translations of the tabletop RPG on our friend: the computer. The virtual tabletop RPG will become increasingly more popular in the upcoming years.

T'is so off-topic, but why?

kirottu said:

I have recieved it. Thanks.

kirottu said:

Does darkside have hot chicks? If so can I have their numbers, please?

kthxbai.

You obviously want me to comment this new...thing. Oh, no. Well, screw you.

kirottu said: