Why twitch gamers suck

Rhomal

Indeed. The pond is muddy again.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Try harder, swedu. I know you can do it.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I must have read at least 3 or 4 reviews of JE and while they all gave it quite nice marks I never walked away with the impressions of it that you had. Is that the fault of the reviewers, you or me? I dont know, but I suspect like most instances such as this the truth is somewhere in the middle.

With that said I have no issue giving you the benefit of the doubt it has more RPGish elements then the PR or reviews made it seem. But if it was the next best thing in CRPGs one has to wonder why it didnt sell any better then its so-so numbers if it was that much different then the next fighting game.

My 2 coppers

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Guest Fishboot
benefit of the doubt it has more RPGish elements then the PR or reviews made it seem. But if it was the next best thing in CRPGs one has to wonder why it didnt sell any better then its so-so numbers if it was that much different then the next fighting game.

Because we are a small niche audience, and most people don't like RPGs?

Oh no. Not another Volo-fight...

kirottu said:

"must have read at least 3 or 4 reviews of JE and while they all gave it quite nice marks I never walked away with the impressions of it that you had. Is that the fault of the reviewers, you or me? I dont know, but I suspect like most instances such as this the truth is somewhere in the middle."

Any review that you gave an impression that JE didn't have dialogue skills (which it has 3 of), no multiple solutions, and only 1 ending was a very poor review indeed. As those three things are not my personal opinion; they are facts of the game. The story thing is opinion; but the existence of dialogue skills is not. It's a stone cold fact.

If I were you, I'd tell those reviewers who gave you the impression that JE had no dialogue skills a big FU as they obviously are lacking any experience with JE.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

To compare Jade Empire to any fighting game is, well, stupid.

To even utter Mortal Kombat in the same sentence as Jade Empire, in an attempt to look for comparisons, is also not very keen.

Perhaps you should rent the game or something.

To compare Jade Empire to any fighting game is, well, stupid.

To even utter Mortal Kombat in the same sentence as Jade Empire, in an attempt to look for comparisons, is also not very keen.

Perhaps you should rent the game or something.

I am not a console gamer (ie have not owned a console since the sega genesis). Which I suppose putting aside what JE is or isnt, that is prob the reason I didnt mention it in my article. I was focusing on PC gaming. Frankly couldnt care less about consoles. IMO CRPG and console is a oxymoron, but thats just my view.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Guest Fishboot

So what RPGs are you decrying then, if Jade Empire (which you explicitly pointed out as a debased game in your post) isn't on your PC gamer radar? I don't think anyone confuses Diablo and Dungeon Siege with RPGs other than label-makers, so what exactly are you a'gin? KotOR?

But it's lacking the 78 hit juggle moves, and the fact that their's only 3 attack buttons, instead of 48 ;)

If you were to compare it with any type of fighting game, I'd see more in common with a Double Dragon type game than a Mortal Kombat style game.

To address both in one post:

JE is a typical console fighting game. Thats why I dont see it as anything more then that. I will admit I never played it (nor do I have any interest in it) but from reading the reviews I dont see anything that makes it more that what it is. I think its a well done fighting game granted.

Jade Empire runs at 30 fps, isn't very responsive, uses vague collision, and has a pretty shallow input and attack priority system. Battle Raper II probably will be a better fighting game than Jade Empire was. JE's fighting system doesn't detract from its qualities as an RPG, but comparing it to what I would consider action games (God of War, Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry) is slightly questionable and comparing it to fighting games (Soul Calibur II, Tekken 5, Dead or Alive) is very questionable.

The trend today and tomorrow is to blend RPG/adventure and some form of action into one another. The bussiness doesnt care about grumpy old traditionalists, it wants to sell games that everyone that as many people as possible will buy.

There is this idea that actiongamers cant appreciate combat without a direct input, so everything is leaning more towards 'twitch gaming'

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

A straight CRPG is one that is not a gay CRPG.

Though, I disagree with JE's complaints about JE's combat. It may not be the best fighting game combat ever (I cna think of more than few that are better like some of the ones JE mentioned); but it's a heck of a fun. And, I had no problem with frame rate though load times did suck big time. <>

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.