Jade Empire Bombed

Volourn

But it only sold 500,000 copies.

So, what does that have to do with me? All I care about is getting a good game.

Well, if the game doesn't sell, REGARDLESS OF THE QUALITY OF IT, there won't be any more like it because the developer will likely go out of business AND / OR no other publisher will commission a similar game, for fear of risking their investment.

Basic economics. ;)

Because it will be one of those games that has crappy controls BECAUSE it was ported from the console.

:*

Don't worry about Mets - he just collecting intel and dispensing it through the usual channels without ever experienceing JE's controls first hand. :-"

:D

Exactly.

What side of the argument are you on, anyway? :p I thought you were arguing against the port! :)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Then someone else will replace them and make games.  Everyone is replaceable.

Except that the only people that will invest in games (marketing publishers) won't play them (and therefore definitely not love them, like developers) so you will get more and more derivative games that show no innovation and are less and less appealing to play. But "safer" investments for them. So Final Fantasy CXCLVIX, then.

A bit like now we have people in politics who nobody will vote for, because no matter who you vote for, a politician gets in. :*

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

1. JE's combat would be absolutely horrible on PC. I would certainly not want to try it. The role-playing part would work great on PC since that aprt is pretty much like every other BIO game (but better). The combat, however, was perfectly matched for the x-box as was BIO's intent all along. It's also why BIO faltly refuses to port it over to PC despite all the PC whiners on their boards. KOTOR was not a port so it's a horrible comparison not to mention that unlike JE; KOTOR was not full fledge RT.

2. BIO seems to be happy with 500k sales according to this article.

3. MS seems to be happy with JE's performance hence why a sequel is already in the works and is probably one of BIO's worst kept secrets.

4. Anyone who expected JE to sell as much as BG-NWN-KOTOR were in LaLaLand. JE sold 90% based on BIO's rep, and 10% on marketing. BG-NWN-KOTOR all had decades old successful licenses to pimp out.

Only BIO,a nd MS know what the bottom line actual profit was made; but that's irrelevant here as it's obvious JE sold well. This is undisputable. 500k copies is pretty danr good, and remember folks that's 500k copies to date minimum. Nothing to sneeze at unless you were predicting that JE was gonna be a Halo or Diablo, or Sims type success. If so, tsk, tsk.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Only BIO,a nd MS know what the bottom line actual profit was made; but that's irrelevant here as it's obvious JE sold well. This is undisputable. 500k copies is pretty danr good, and remember folks that's 500k copies to date minimum. Nothing to sneeze at unless you were predicting that JE was gonna be a Halo or Diablo, or Sims type success. If so, tsk, tsk.

Couldn't agree more. I hope Bioware make enough to keep their independence, AND use that independence to bring good quality games to the market.

:-

(But 500k units will probably just stop them calling in the Receivers ...)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Jump = Space

Roll = RMB

Move = W-A-S-D

Heal = Shift

Change Style/Transform = Scroll Wheel

Camera Angle = X/Y Axis on the Mouse

What's so hard about that? 

Valiant attempt Eru my friend - but that would be rather terrible:

A WASD system would be diminish the movement JE's combat entails. The left analog stick allows for a gradation of varying diagonal angles, at which the rate of turning determines the speed.

The scroll wheel would be a shocking replacement of the D-Pad. The D-Pad allows to SPECIFICALLY select which form you're using of the fly. With the scroll wheel it would be impossible given the latency of cycling through forms, rather than selecting them outright.

Also, you would require two "heals", with the ability to use both at the same time if need by - one of chi, and one for heal.

Futher, there isn't just one simple attack - there's also block, power attack and focus. And that doesn't even touch the combination aspect - such as attack + power attack having to be used at the SAME time for area attack etc. And flipping isn't just a matter of one key, as it needs to be specified. Example - block AND the direction AND the target select button (shoulder), will determine the flip/roll.

And most importanly, ALL of the above mentioned maneuvers are a thumb's reach away and can be executed on the fly within a fraction of a second.

--

Failing that, include an option for a joypad.  :-

Assuming there is an attack button, map that to the LMB, and if there's different types of attacks triggered by that attack button, have the attack be modified by the movement keys.

Of course an XBOX clone controller can be used - but that's defeats the purpose of porting as Bioware isn't going to supply you with a controller; nor should you be expected to PURCHASE an addiitional periferal device over an above the odd $50 you just shelled out, just to be able to use the damn software. That's poor business.

manthing2.jpg

No, it's nothing to sneeze at. I'm still think they would be disappointed with 500k. I'll leave this discussion with David Gaider's comments on sales of "major titles":

Games do get made that don't require mass market sales. They are made by small developers, however, with fairly small budgets. A major title like NWN or DA has a lot of people working on it and a large budget... it needs to think about how it's going to achieve sales that are in the order of a million or more. Not thousands or tens of thousands or even a few hundred thousand.

You can decide for yourself whether JE with it's dev team of 50-80 people is a "major" title or not.

R00fles! What a joke! 500k+ copies is pretty darn good. Why do certain people continually say that JE bombed? What a mythical myth! This so called 'price lowering' means nothing espicially since wher eI am it is still $50+. R00fles!

And, oh, BIO has never said that their URE game is a first person shooter thingof migjig. Stop trying to say it is when you have no proof. R00fles!

BIo has 3 games so far that have semi announced (I bet they have a 4th theya re keeping really under wraps) 2 xbox games (inlcuding JE2 - you know the game that bombed so bad it alreayd has a sequel on the way), and DA for PC.

Anyways, source is the following: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/646/646723p1.html

The only reason JE sold is because of Bio's reputation. It was for this reason I preordered it, expecting the usual Bioware standards. Any non-rabid Biofanboy with taste and discernment would tell you it did not live up to expectations. It might be that my tastes have matured over the last few years, but I found the story shallow and predictable. Even I (who normally views combat as the necessary drudge between story sequences) noticed the combat was overly uniform throughout the entire game, reusing effects and moves between styles. There were very few distinguishing characteristics between them. The artistic style and setting I enjoyed, but I encourage Bioware to seriously hire some quality controllers for their writers before releasing this stuff.

Do the positives outweigh the negatives? Perhaps. It depends on your focus. I prefer a strong story, so I would say no. You would say yes. It doesnt matter. We are each entitled to our opinions. However, is it the best RPG within recent history? Absolutely not.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

"Do you ever shut up? Why is every piece of excrement pulled from your ass a worthy topic for discussion?"

Reported.

"Do the positives outweigh the negatives? Perhaps. It depends on your focus. I prefer a strong story, so I would say no. You would say yes. It doesnt matter. We are each entitled to our opinions. However, is it the best RPG within recent history? Absolutely not."

Actually, it is, and it's because of it's story and role-playing. Only BL comes close but ultimately fails due to its crappy combat.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I suppose I should apologize now instead of leaving it for later. I have had one of the worst days of my life and I took it out on you, as the first to gain my ire. For that, I am sorry. Excuse any previous off-color comments.

"Do the positives outweigh the negatives? Perhaps. It depends on your focus. I prefer a strong story, so I would say no. You would say yes. It doesnt matter. We are each entitled to our opinions. However, is it the best RPG within recent history? Absolutely not."

Actually, it is, and it's because of it's story and role-playing. Only BL comes close but ultimately fails due to its crappy combat.

You are entitled to your opinion, but frankly to use the words of another on these boards, though I forget the exact writer:

I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

However, is it the best RPG within recent history? Absolutely not.

Which one would you say would be the best CRPG in the last year or so and don't say The Sith Lords. That is an unfinished buggy POS that is getting no support from Obsidian and LA even though they lied to the fans stating that the Movies and music patch would be up in a few days MONTHS ago? Screw that.

I am no Bioware fanboy but I know what I like and what I don't and I like Jade Empire. The Sith Lords, not so much.

However, is it the best RPG within recent history? Absolutely not.

Try not to be offended Archie my friend, but that means you obviously have no taste for a proper role-playing experience which provides sublte to contrasting variations in choices and consequences of action. If you feel you 'figured out the story in 15 mins', then it's your fault for lurking in the spoiler fora - 'cause there's no way you could have guessed the 'plot twist' at that stage!

Unless of couse you prefer JRPG's with bubblegum storylines and ZERO roleplaying opportunites, then by all means be free to change your opinion. :-

---

No greater truth than that. I must be in the Magical Volo's Bizzaro World.

manthing2.jpg